Athearn Genesis DDA40X

Accurascale Fran

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure some are already aware of the big news, but here it is anyway. Athearn have announced a HO UP DDA40X Centennial for its Genesis line. Pics on their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=335646&id=320327140040

Let the good times roll! :)

I'm sure it will be a beautiful model - but as the longest single-unit diesel ever built (98' 5") it does need a certain amount of room to look "right". Not everyone has that basement empire with wide curves just waiting to show it off properly!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice! But if I have to have a loco I have absolutely no use for, I fancy the U50 that's in the pipeline.

looks a bit different. That or a veranda gas turbine!

Cheers, Mark

Cant go wrong with the Veranda Turbine, the detail is lovely and they run as smooth as silk. Video of my one which i fitted with sound running on my mates layout. Had to leave the tender off due to permanent way issues! :rolleyes: Excuse the motley collection of rolling stock too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__NXyTrAiWc

I cannot wait personally for the DDA40X. Mind you the U50's are tempting....

Grrr!

Another reason to fancy the Union Pacific (huach, pssit (spit!)).

First the Turbine, now this!

But I cannot have any UP stuff (motive power) on my layout! Why?

I started US outline modelling in about 1990, quickly settling on Espee/Rio Grande as 'my' road. Later I graduated to C&NW before going for 'big steam' with the C&O!

Was also quite a fan of the 'Katy' too but then went with the KCS.

Meanwhile, 'Uncle Pete' was busy gobbling up all of 'my' old roads wasn't he? Hmmm, that is to me, unforgivable and makes 'him' unmodellable! Even with the big modern 'wings', D'oh!

Oh well! I'll have to console myself with an Espee U50 when that comes out!

Not seriously,

John E.

• RMweb Gold

Nice-looking (and sounding) loco. Heard one at the NMRA convention. Wasn't that one was it?

Didn't realise the UP road-tested green Class 31s ;)

Jon

Afraid not, have been meaning the cross the water and head to the NMRA convention though. Maybe next time.

They didnt, they were road testing a 25 ;)

whilst on the subject of large single[?] units....[i have a wreck of the old old old B/mann DD40....] a local [?] model shop has a used Athearn DD[35] in EMD demo colours....[around 40 quids I think?]

now there's a loco to send the neighbourhood lights to 'dim?'

sadly I have a lot of UP stuff as well...not modern...mostly what was around in the '60's and 70's....

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure Dan, but knowing our guys I certainly wouldn't bet against it!

Any chance you could grab some pics of them? Also, report back on how they performed through points etc? I think mine just picks up on one bogie per motor, and with sound that bogie stops and goes through the whole start-up process when it hits a dead spot, so the motor isn't turning. Meanwhile the other motor is pushing or pulling along. A bit of a pain really.

Sorry to hear you're having problems, 071. I've just smuggled one back from my Americaland holiday to join my Big Boy :) It runs very well but looks like I'm gonna have to do a lot of CV tweaking to get more realistic running. Can I ask other owners how they've set up various CV values to obtain what they consider satisfactory running? I'm not familiar with Tsunami decoders so any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by tonkatoy

• 6 years later...