Saint Blazey Class 37's

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if any of you guys made it to the Stafford Show on the 6th and 7th. For those that didn't you missed a layout called "Diesels in the Duchy". It has been built by "Indomitable026" who has just recently joined RMweb - he'll certainly be interested in the content of this thread. Keep the photos coming - especially the late 80s early 90s ones.

• 1 month later...

Yes, absolutely, I never saw this again in Cornwall but imagine my surprise having moved from Frodingham where, for many years class 20s were commonplace and I honestly thought that I would never see one again (apart from exceptional circumstances that is).

Another not so exceptional circumstance was, until the final demise of Speedlink, the almost Daily appearance of a Tinsley allocated 47 which we used to service early in the afternoon shift (15.00 to 23.00) before it's return up country, just a bit of variety before the 37s would come onto the depot for fuel and inspection etc. The 23.00 turn was mainly concerned with DMU. maintenance which involved 4 sets: A triple set which commenced the day with a Plymouth working, A twin which worked the Falmouth Branch, a single which worked Looe (twin in a summer if I remember correctly) and another single on Newquay (once again twin or triple in the summer). These units often worked out of the area during the day and it seemed rare for two nights running to service the same units.

Hi David. Sorry I hadn't seen this untill now.

I bet you were happy to see the wead killing choopers then :D

At BZ where were the DMUs maintained? i'd immagine it wouldn't have been possible (or practical?) to put them in the roundhouse.

Unfortunately, as the driver was moving the loco into the shed he sustained mortal injuries requiring paramedic attention.

No offence, as I know you don't want to be go into the details about this. But what you wrote doesn't really make sense.

The driver, sitting in the cab, can't possibly sustain mortal injuries, can he? (except say an electric shock, but that's unlikely i'd immagine).

These look to be Tullis Russell PAAs.

I would concur.

Here's some more pics for the thread - this is as late as 2004 with 37047 (mainline) and 37308 (rail blue), neither of which were particularly "cornish" (although 047's nose mods were done at Laira!) rolling into Lostwithiel loop with the St Blazey-Riverside enterprise.

y16erc.jpg

And a scanned print of 521 on clay at Lostwithiel, I suspect during the late 90s but the date is not recorded. I've some shots of Transrail liveried ones from the same kind of time but will need to dig them out and scan them!

ykheeq.jpg

37521 and 37668 both arrived at St.Blazey in Trainload Petroleum livery with Canton depot plaques. The locos were replacements for accident damged 37411 and 37669. After several months running in Petroleum 37668 became the first St.Blazey loco in EWS livery and the only one that was repainted with the EW & S branding. 37695 and 37696 both spent long spells at St.Blazey in Tranload Coal. As for whoever asked about 60035 sure I have records of that at St.Blazey, 60089 'Arcuil' in Trainload Coal was the BZ staff trainer spending about a month working off the depot. Have very detailed info on the BZ 37 fleet somewhere....

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Good to see this topic is developing lots of interest. Nothing to do with Dapol 'Silver Bullets' of course!wink.gif

Not sure if anyone has found this site before but well worth a look. Link below:

http://whitemasksnap...et/c845972.html

This is how I remember Cornwall in the mid-90's and the period I am modelling myself in Transrail days. Hope you enjoy the fots-the're really good and a usefull resource.

Some earlier stuff on there as well from sectorisation including 37229 (Coal) and 521 and 695 in respective TL liveries.

My BZ stud is building up nicely with 668 (EW&S), 670/671/674 (All TR) and 521 on order from Kernow. I've also got a TR 60035 'Flo' as well. I'll post some fots of them soon.

Cheers.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Heres a few i've done in the past in model form and 37521 in petroleum is next on the list i already have the donor(37507)which will pull the silver bullet train when i get the wagons, just need to decide which 37/6 to accompany 521 now?

Heres my fotopic site showing all the st blazey 37's from the 37/4's rite thru to the 37/6's

http://jpgrailphotogallery.fotopic.net/p59030615.html

Cheers, Jon.

post-6099-12708516162_thumb.jpg

post-6099-127085162757_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply.

Those BZ Tractors look really good.

I like 670-one of my favourites but I prefer 674 in TR with its 'Saint Blaisie Church' plates on.

I'll have to post some images of mine soon.

Cheers.

Mark

No offence, as I know you don't want to be go into the details about this. But what you wrote doesn't really make sense.

The driver, sitting in the cab, can't possibly sustain mortal injuries, can he? (except say an electric shock, but that's unlikely i'd immagine).

I was trying to be as vague as possible here, but seeing as you are struggling to understand, yes, the driver was leaning out of his side window to park the loco for watering, when he came into contact with some girders which were part of a gantry crane, I believe.

Hope this now makes sense.

Good thread this - I like the idea of a layout set in the late 90s down that way, great scenery, Cornish pasties and transrail 37s. I only managed to get down there once in 1998 bit there was some great atmosphere to be had .also like possibility of a harbour, it would even work quite well in the shed era.

The other area which I went to which had a mix of the same was the west highland but the freight opportunities are a bit more limited there and can't stretch that theme to include class 60s

• 1 month later...

Here's a few of mine Ive dug out. Dates im afraid are abit hit and miss because I cant find my notes anymore which is prety typical unfortunately although Im sure some of the experts here can put dates to them roughly.

First up is 521 at Par. Im guessing here that it was probably about 1995?

post-299-12654066829989_thumb.jpg

This is 668 top & tailed with 521 working a rail tour that went as far as Calstock on a very wet and miserable day, Ive no idea when it was thoughblush.gif

post-299-12654068992451_thumb.jpg

post-299-1265407153806_thumb.jpg

671, at Par. It also attended a Bodmin & Wenford diesel gala during the late nineties.

post-299-12654073270976_thumb.jpg

post-299-12654073455846_thumb.jpg

413, Par.

post-299-1265407697077_thumb.jpg

696 and 674 working wrong road at " Keys" Liskeard.

post-299-12654077914487_thumb.jpg

674 and 229 same location as abovepost-299-12654079468431_thumb.jpg

Hi,

The tour with 37521 & 668 was on the 3rd of the 4th 1994 i think :rolleyes:

its quite suprising really that all of the original St Blazey 37 fleet apart from 37673 are still in one peice.

37668 is stored at WCRC Carnforth

37669 is stored in Toton Training compound

37670 is stored inside Crewe DMD

37671 is dumped in Tyne yard

37672 is stored with HNRC at Barrow Hill

37673 is a pile of scrap metal at EMR kingsbury :(

37674 is awaiting restoration at Kirkby Stephen railway

37675 is on Margam Shed awaiting sale

later replacements :

37411 is stored at Eastleigh

37412 is stored with HNRC at Barrow Hill

37521 is stored at Doncaster carr

• 4 weeks later...

Well you may all be interested fella's!

37674 still lives! and breath's (infact she was fired up this year theres a vid some where on youtube!). Its still the machine it allways was and trust me fellas! given a little time and love it will be rolling about in fresh paint! (provided we get some nice weather up at Kirkby Stephen East) if you want some more gen on the beast www.kirkbystepheneast.co.uk check out the railway site! weve also got a few other nice pieces up there! another growler, ped, duff and chopper!

For all you Blazey fans she will be keeping her name and will look stunning when finnished

if you got any more questions.... PM me :D

Chris

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived