"Race for the Livery" - 6233

S.A.C Martin

I personally love to see her in both BR Green and Blue! Think the Blue slightly wins as the Green has been done in preservation (whilst in Steam!) once before.

For those who'd like to see a blue duchess, albiet slightly on the light side, check out these links.

http://www.steamdays.co.uk/

and about halfway down on here http://www.steamdays.co.uk/blog/test-news-article

Unfortunately I believe this colour was never worn as I feel it does sit very nice!

In addition to this livery debate, i'm suprised that no ones mentioned the news that Scotsman's going wartime black!!! Or, Ffestiniog running-in black as I prefer to call it! :P B)

Cheers

Paul

From memory the Duchesses carried BR green for more years than any other livery. Yet I don't recall a member of the class ever carrying this livery in mainline preservation. It would prove MaxStafford wrong when everyone and his granny turned out with their digitals to see this municipal lamp post green monster.:D Princess's should be green too!

Complete with the authentic double chimney and smoke deflectors?

No deflectors this time around.

The double chimney would be historically accurate for one member of the class I seem to recall - namely Humorist - the only one I think able that could have the combination of the banjo-dome A3 boiler and double chimney in LNER apple green/wartime black/postwar LNER green/British Railway liveries without the deflectors.

So, there is a precedent of sorts.

No deflectors this time around.

So drifting exhaust instead then?! :lol:

You're right, Humorist did have a double blast pipe - it was also the subject of numorous experiments to try and cue the drifting exhaust!

But for Scotsman it is not historically accurate. Considering the lengths the NRM have gone to with other projects for historical accuracy the condition of 60103 has always surprised me. Coupled with the 'people's engine' nonsense, it just seems farcical at times.

So drifting exhaust instead then?! :lol:

Couldn't possibly say, having not seen the locomotive steam yet - but judging on previous experiences, I'd say that's a fair bet! :lol:

You're right, Humorist did have a double blast pipe - it was also the subject of numorous experiments to try and cue the drifting exhaust!

Ah yes - thanks for confirming my thoughts James. :)

But for Scotsman it is not historically accurate. Considering the lengths the NRM have gone to with other projects for historical accuracy the condition of 60103 has always surprised me. Coupled with the 'people's engine' nonsense, it just seems farcical at times.

It's a case of "damned if you do", damned if you don't James.

I do think the moniker "people's engine" to be quite a reasonable description of the locomotive. That so many members of the general public have given up funds for the engine over the course of the last decade speaks wonders about its life and influence.

I do agree with you that the condition does not necessarily meet the livery, but if you consider that Scotsman was not accurate while in BR green livery in the early 90s - due to having a corridor tender (only pulled when in LNER apple green), and that the smokebox numberplate arrangement was only accurate for Scotsman in BR green...without the deflectors on (Scotsman having gained a split-handrail and number over the smokebox strap by the time the deflectors were added in BR service), you can start to see the problem of having a "mongrel" (in the nicest possible way!) for livery accuracy.

The LNER livery is its best known livery. The double chimney and deflectors is its best mechanical condition for the mainline. the combination is not fully accurate. It does however give the best of both worlds, for a general public who are for the most part not aware of what a double chimney is or what smoke deflectors are.

I do feel Steve Davies, Anthony Coulls and the rest of the NRM are trying to give something back to the enthusiast here in terms of the wartime livery, and while I accept its not correct for scotsman with a double chimney - one member of the class did wear it, so it is representative of the class A3.

So on this occasion, whilst it mean seem a bit silly, I think it'll be a bit of fun that will quite firmly put the Pink Scot in the shade (whenever poor Mr Waterman finally sorts out all of its problems!).

As for the liveries thereafter - I did hear express passenger blue bandied around after the BR green, once...!!!

1946 straw-lined black. We don't see that type of livery demonstrated in preservation often enough.

Absolutely fab looking livery if you ask me!

Nah, I hear Mr. Branson is placing an awful lot of votes for Virgin Trains livery :rolleyes:

Now that would be really funny! They'd have to do it too as there charging you for the vote!

• RMweb Premium

Nah, it should borrow the full metal jacket off the one in the NRM and parade the streamlined livery on the mainline....!:)

And yes I know thats impossible....

I have a friend, who has just had an old bath tub taken out and replaced with a new one. I am sure he would be happy to donate the old one to be turned over and used.......

Nah, it should borrow the full metal jacket off the one in the NRM and parade the streamlined livery on the mainline....!:)

And yes I know thats impossible....

I have a friend, who has just had an old bath tub taken out and replaced with a new one. I am sure he would be happy to donate the old one to be turned over and used.......

We've already drowned one in the bath, don't suggest doing it to another!

We've had a National Express A1, a Virgin Trains Duchess would be quite fun. No idea how you'd get a Pendolino livery on it though! I'm sure there is a tattyshop of it somewhere.

From memory the Duchesses carried BR green for more years than any other livery. Yet I don't recall a member of the class ever carrying this livery in mainline preservation. It would prove MaxStafford wrong when everyone and his granny turned out with their digitals to see this municipal lamp post green monster.:D Princess's should be green too!

Didn't Duchess of Hamilton carry BR green for a short period in the 1990s?

Apart from seeing 'Sir William Stanier' in red at an exhibition, I didn't see Duchesses until they started to come down the North Wales line in the early 1960s. To me the red 'uns looked fancy like fairground engines, but the green 'uns looked workmanlike and stately.

However they paint it, it won't look real until its weathered....:D

Didn't Duchess of Hamilton carry BR green for a short period in the 1990s?

Only for a month or 2 on the East Lancs Railway, she went maroon again before her return (out of ticket) to York. So a Green Duchess has not been seen on the mainline for approx 50 years - would be nice at the heasd of WCRC Mk1's.

So which group is going to be the next to run a premium rate phone line to decide what happens about a loco paint scheme or other aspect?

My vote would be for big four liveries (or pre grouping for older locos).

If you think that these look incongruous you should look up some of the 1970's & 1980's rail tours or schedulled steam (eg Scarborough Spa's) where the coaches were BR MkI's in blue & grey with whatever colour loco.

My vote would be for big four liveries (or pre grouping for older locos).

Surely in this instance the best thing to do is not vote for the main big 4 livery. The PRCLT has said she will go crimson lake after about 12 months so that should automatically rule out that livery, she carried Ivatt black last year somaybe it is time for a BR duchess to return to the main line where they belong. I will be voting for BR Green - I would rather have blue but the prospect of a green duchess on a full rake of maroon stock has appeal.

I really can't decide,I've always wanted to see her in BR green but the chance to see a duchess in blue is to much to miss. When I think about the A4s sir Nigel always comes to mind first because she is in blue. In know the owning group have there preferred livery but why not please everyone and paint her every three years and have all the livery options similar to what tornado is supposed to be doing it can only generate more publicity for the loco and there's plenty of people willing to spend a few quid to help out with the cost.

Given the option to have so many livery options it seems silly not to use them.

• 6 months later...

Just to bring this to a conclusion, the winning livery was announced on Sunday with BR Green receving 3802 votes or 51% of those cast. Roll on her return! Can't wait to see a BR Green Duchess, might even have to go for a ride on her.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived