Weed killing trains in the 1980s (what worked where?)

On 23/06/2021 at 20:38, Michael Hodgson said:

I bet the householder had few choice things to say about having the washing sprayed with weedkiller!

Maybe a trick of the photo, but the washing appears to be on railway land - there is track hidden by the weeds in the foreground. 

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if of use, but I took a couple of the Chipman's train passing through Lewes on 21st June, 1988, pulled by 33 046:

1556306352_33046ChipmansweedkillerLW2106881107(1).jpg.1cf16b4643dceed1c114f4764874b8cc.jpg

1411584596_33046ChipmansweedkillerLW2106881107(2).jpg.68be252b4e16a7b5ed91905a055caf62.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Fisons Weedkilling train 1986 by Jamerail

Fisons Weedkilling train. [EBR13-22]

Anyone know what controls were in the  former DMU trailer? As it doesn't have a main reservoir pipe I can't see it having a blue star power controller and would need twin vacuum pipes if it had full vacuum brake control and obviously no locos have this

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

A lot of this rolling stock has been photogrpahed in a variety of different liveries.

Were the chemicals so nasty they had to repaint them every year?

Whilst the chemicals were undoubtedly more toxic that those used to day, the changes of livery reflected the various changes of ownership that took place over time. There is an excellent piece on weedkilling trains in the 70's and 80's on the RCTS website

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2021 at 20:05, russ p said:

Anyone know what controls were in the  former DMU trailer? As it doesn't have a main reservoir pipe I can't see it having a blue star power controller and would need twin vacuum pipes if it had full vacuum brake control and obviously no locos have this

Probably just a brake setter and horn for when being propelled? The Inspection Saloons managed main-line running up to 40mph like this.

Single vacuum pipe retained so it's still a fitted vehicle, remember DMU vehicles were often hauled to/from Works in trains with LH stock.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Chipman train on the West Highland Line in 1989.

West Highland Weedkiller

Photo by Alan Mitchell

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...