Single car EMU (EU?)

puck

My love of the Southern region 3rd rail system doesn't help with planning micro layout.A single car EMU doesn't exist so have to use a 121 unit. Pity the Southern didn't go down this line as trains could be strengthened to any variable. Parcels obviously covered by MLV.

Puck

My love of the Southern region 3rd rail system doesn't help with planning micro layout.A single car EMU doesn't exist so have to use a 121 unit. Pity the Southern didn't go down this line as trains could be strengthened to any variable. Parcels obviously covered by MLV.

Puck

Wouldn't something like Bachmann's forthcoming 2-EPB be sufficiently close?

I'm guessing it's lack of space that means you are restricted in train length - if I were you I'd just squeeze another foot in somewhere, particularly if it's a micro-layout.

Less than 2-car sets on the third rail are a little impractical without batteries because of the problem of gapping - but overhead is a different matter. Perhaps you should use modellers license and have a 1-car class 309 unit. The 2-car units had the pantograph above the cab on the power car so there could easily have been a 1-car unit built had it been required for off peak services on the single track Walton branch.

I like the 501.

My micro is just a shuttle service in 00 on a 36" board (mini St. Judes!). So it has to be a single car. I guess some 3rd rail upgrade work could necessitate the use of 121's?

Thanks for some interesting thoughts on this

Puck

• RMweb Premium

A single car EMU would be named as ESU (electric single unit ;)) Has nothing to do with a sound-decoder brand from Germany! :O)

You would logically think so but classes of diesel vehicle which run or ran singly were never referred to as "DSU" vehicles. They have alwayas been "DMU".

Single electric vehicle operation has been referrde to already; the best SR example would certainly be the MLV vans which had traction batteries to overcome the risk of "gapping" and to run on unelectrified lines in Dover Western Docks

Archived