Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Pendon's 500,000th visitor

Tim Hale

I have to say I am surprised at the low number given the number of years it has been open.

just one of those "best kept secrets" and not exactly on the beaten track of tourism.

I must have past the small sign post many a time, it is sort of local, yet still haven't been. Something else to do.

I have to say I am surprised at the low number given the number of years it has been open.

just one of those "best kept secrets" and not exactly on the beaten track of tourism.

I must have past the small sign post many a time, it is sort of local, yet still haven't been. Something else to do.

Although I grew up in Oxford, and regularly return there to visit family, I doubt If I've been to Pendon more than 10-15 times in over forty years, largely because Long Wittenham is such awkward place to get to, in fact almost impossible without a car - Which I've always thought strange for a place that celebrates a bygone, simpler way of life, when hardly anyone had a car ! Imagine how many more would have visited Pendon if it was located somewhere like Didcot, for example, a few miles away but infinitely easier to get to.

However, every railway modeller should visit Pendon at least once - The modelling is simply incredible.

largely because Long Wittenham is such awkward place to get to, in fact almost impossible without a car - Which I've always thought strange for a place that celebrates a bygone, simpler way of life, when hardly anyone had a car !

I would have though it quite fitting rather than strange ;)

Although I grew up in Oxford, and regularly return there to visit family, I doubt If I've been to Pendon more than 10-15 times in over forty years, largely because Long Wittenham is such awkward place to get to, in fact almost impossible without a car - Which I've always thought strange for a place that celebrates a bygone, simpler way of life, when hardly anyone had a car ! Imagine how many more would have visited Pendon if it was located somewhere like Didcot, for example, a few miles away but infinitely easier to get to.

However, every railway modeller should visit Pendon at least once - The modelling is simply incredible.

I think it's about 3 miles walk from Didcot. I'm past my prime as a walker, but I think I could manage that. In fact I've been plotting just such a visit this summer, taking in Didcot Railway Centre as well. Only snag I foresee is that I should prefer a nice bright day both for photography at Didcot and for the joy of the walk. These days, when one is expected to book train tickets in advance or pay a king's ransom, it becomes a bit of a lottery.

I agree that everyone should get to Pendon if they can. I think this will be my fourth visit, and I'd like to make a few more yet.

• RMweb Gold

It isn't that far from Didcot, I've walked it, quite a pleasant stroll (from memory) through the fields. Plus it's even nearer to Appleford Halt.

Not so much of a 'pleasant stroll' from Didcot as it once was due to lots of residential development north of the railway at Didcot plus roads which are now quite busy with motorists who are clearly rushing to their own funerals judging by some of the driving I've seen in the vicinity in the last couple of years. I've never tried the route from Appleford Halt so can't comment on that one.

I'm not sure if there are any 'buses to Whittenham but in many respects a journey by car also opens up other potential in the area so it's not as bad as might be thought - but parking at Pendon is both limited and awkward, especially for larger vehicles.

• RMweb Gold

Yes - it's a rare trip up on the train between Swindon and Reading if I don't see a few kites.

I don't even have to leave the gardenwink.gif Current record - without moving my head to look at another bit of sky - is 18.. This pic was taken in from our back garden using a 300 mil telephoto lens (sorry about the diversion from OP).

post-6859-0-45258400-1298507368_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Not so much of a 'pleasant stroll' from Didcot as it once was due to lots of residential development north of the railway at Didcot plus roads which are now quite busy with motorists who are clearly rushing to their own funerals judging by some of the driving I've seen in the vicinity in the last couple of years. I've never tried the route from Appleford Halt so can't comment on that one.

I'm not sure if there are any 'buses to Whittenham but in many respects a journey by car also opens up other potential in the area so it's not as bad as might be thought - but parking at Pendon is both limited and awkward, especially for larger vehicles.

From the station, follow the National Cycle Network Route 5 signs towards Wallingford. This will take you round the edge of the Ladygrove housing development, and then out through the fields to Long Wittenham, and Pendon will be on your left. This avoids the roads and is about the same distance - 3 miles.

• RMweb Gold

A spectacular snap there Mike.:)

Thanks John. They're not easy to get as they are very fast especially when at low level during the lunch time food hunt. What seems to have been impossible is to get them landing to pick up food - they are quite happy to swoop down within about 10 feet of you to grab a piece of meat but even if I stand at the window with a camera, let alone outdoors, they just stay aloft, grrangry.gif

Archived