Hello from a model railway newbie!

Topsyde

First time posting and hoping for some guidance, so go easy on the newbie wink.gif

I've been brought back into modelling railways after I hadn't had one since the age of 8! now 30 years later I'm back and trying to get my head around all the new toys and gadgets that all all over the marketplace. I've had a brief run in with a test layout with an 8ft x 8ft board that I built last July, which appeared to go well, I've learnt a lot that way, but due to a potential house move I've had to take it down for now. As with all house moves the other half seems to have control, but now for the good news, she wants southfacing, so I have negotiated that the house needs a good sized usable loft at the very least, an external building is a plus, and she has agreed biggrin.gif.

So I'm now planning something grand, something that will turn heads but I know inevitably will take me years to complete.

Which brings me onto questions in the hope you can all help... and as there are many they wont fit into just one category here so hoping I'm not treading on toes here?....

Basis and premise of layout : It will be DCC, Modern image 1996+ privatisation, East Coast mainline as I live in Leeds thats where most of my inspiration comes from, but will be a fictional location... oh and the expected loft size on the outer extremities is roughly going to be 27ft x 27ft, obviously the size will be dependant on the house we buy!

1. Signalling, I've been researching but cannot seem to get my head around where they should be on the layout etc has anyone links to some good guides on where and when signalling is used?

2. Considering the size of the possible layout I was looking at Whiterose baseboards helix at each end in a U shape to allow for a large fiddle yard underneath and an extension of the up and down lines, but with the size of the space could I get away with 6 mainlines with a break down of 4 for passenger traffic and 2 for freight?

3. I've purchase a Lenz Set 100 DCC system, BUT I cannot for the life of me find a fullguide on what other Lenz parts fit where and for what, being from an IT background automating the layout is a big plus for me, and my initial investigations seem to fit with Lenz as the system of choice in that regard, with the addition of Railroad and Co software. Does someone have a link to something that outlines the overall wiring and layout requirements for automation?

4. Also with the layout size what is the largest train I could run efficiently 8 carriages, more or less?

I think thats it for starters, no doubt over time I will have so many questions you'll get sick of seeing new posts form me.

Cheers

Topsyde

• RMweb Premium

The largest train is going to be very dependant upon the final track layout that you choose, but given the size that you have you should be able to fit in an 8 coach train with out to many issues.

I would suggest that when you work out your plan to go for something that you can build in stages otherwise you might feel that you are getting nowhere.

I would suggest that when you work out your plan to go for something that you can build in stages otherwise you might feel that you are getting nowhere.

I'd certainly agree with the building in stages. I started what was small in comparison to yours in my basement and spent ages planning, reconfiguring etc., but never got started as I suppose I was overwhelmed by the whole thing, and wanted it to be the best thing ever.

Having read other peoples similar problems I decided to just go for it with one of the sides of my four sided layout which was 2' x 10'. I suspect that once I've finished the final side, I'll then go back and re-develop what I'm currently building, but that's part of the fun.

Phil

Hello and welcome Topsyde.

I am assuming you mean OO? If so just imagine what you could fit in that area in N!

Missy :)

Indeed, that would be quiet a sight I would guess laugh.gif

I'd certainly agree with the building in stages. I started what was small in comparison to yours in my basement and spent ages planning, reconfiguring etc., but never got started as I suppose I was overwhelmed by the whole thing, and wanted it to be the best thing ever.

Having read other peoples similar problems I decided to just go for it with one of the sides of my four sided layout which was 2' x 10'. I suspect that once I've finished the final side, I'll then go back and re-develop what I'm currently building, but that's part of the fun.

Phil

I have to agree that during my initial thoughts and design I have considered how to 'piece meal' it together so i can work from section to section without being overwhelmed.Thanks for the comments so-far all information is good info wink.gif

I'm going to get a picture together of my initial thoughts and place it all together in one diagram, hopefully folks will have a better idea of what I'm going to work on for the next lifetime!

Archived