Progamming Loco Decoders on a Prodigy 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

I've reprogrammed lots of locos, giving them a 4 figure address as I normally do.

This week I put a Howes sound decoder into a Bachy 66 which all works fine. However, once I put it on the programme track to give the chip a new number the handset reads error. The loco does not creep forwards slightly as is normal when reprogramming either.

I've tried different locos, checked the wiring, different handset, cleaned the track and changed the contact block at the back of the controller-all to no avail.

Am I missing something?

Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark

As you know, the Prodigy 2 has a quick program format ???ADDR??? ???SV??? ???ACC??? etc which I have found some decoders don??™t like when using it on the program track,

Yet this same format works fine on the main (POMS).

Using this chart http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm in the second section type in the four digit address you want, Read the figures given in CV??™s 17 and 18 and using the program track write these numbers directly to CV 17 and 18

Or why not try programming its address on the main?

Hope this is of some help

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark

As you know, the Prodigy 2 has a quick program format ???ADDR??? ???SV??? ???ACC??? etc which I have found some decoders don??™t like when using it on the program track,

Yet this same format works fine on the main (POMS).

Using this chart http://www.2mm.org.u...0calculator.htm in the second section type in the four digit address you want, Read the figures given in CV??™s 17 and 18 and using the program track write these numbers directly to CV 17 and 18

Or why not try programming its address on the main?

Hope this is of some help

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried this as you suggested and nothing happened! The same occured when trying to programme on the main.

Think it will be a call to Gaugemaster tomorrow.

Thanks once again.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried this as you suggested and nothing happened! The same occured when trying to programme on the main.

Think it will be a call to Gaugemaster tomorrow.

Thanks once again.

Mark

Hi again,

I phoned Gaugemaster this lunchtime and spoke to someone who was very helpfull.

He suggested I try programming the chip through CV1. Yet again to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi again,

I phoned Gaugemaster this lunchtime and spoke to someone who was very helpfull.

He suggested I try programming the chip through CV1. Yet again to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Mark

Hello once again,

Been searching the old RMweb and found some bloke was having similiar problems to me.

Think you were heavily involved in this Jeff? Sounded like a bit of an ongoing saga and the bloke never resolved the situation and possibly brought a

new DCC system. Oh dear-sounds ominous!sad.gif

I have only used Hornby R8249 decoders so far and found that it was not possible to programme locos using the programming track function. i followed the instructions, the display showed what it was supposed to but the loco address would not change from 0003. I then followed the procedure for programming on the main and hey presto it worked. I now programme all locos on the main. Not sure if the fault is with my Prodigy 2 or with the decoders but at least I have found a method that works for me.

Regards,

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion is good though I'd already tried this. Hmmmmsad.gif

All of decoders on steam locos are Bachmann, whilst all of my DCC sound diesels are Howes ESU decoders. Though all of them work as normal, when it comes to reading the address back or trying to reprogramme them-nothing.

I'm going to ring Gaugemaster again tomorrow.

Mark

Hello again Mark.

It??™s a mystery this one is it not?

Shot in the dark suggestion here, Try programming the value of zero into CV 19.

The decoder may be locked into a consist address.

From what you have wrote I assume the prodigy 2 is working well with the Bachmann decoders? If this is true, Should we not be blaming the ESU decoder?

Regards

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Locos with either Bachmann or ESU respond normally in operating mode. It's just the programme/read mode that's not working.

Off to try your suggestion-here goes!

Hi

Has it stopped programming all your decoders or just the new ESU sound one.

If its all of them then the unit has probably developed a fault, if its only the ESU then the decoder is probably faulty.

I had to get my prodigy changed a few weeks ago when it stopped reading and writing on the programming track.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi

That's a good question, Paul.

I was under the assumption it was just the one loco, Marks Bachy 66

Jeff

Hi Paul/Jeff,

Perhaps I should have clarified things more.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply-my internet connection has been playing up.

Just to update you both I spoke to Greg at Gaugemaster yesterday-the controller went back today-hope it can be sorted.

Thanks to you both once again.

Mark

Archived