Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Which layouts have really inspired you?

PGN

3. Carron Road by Nigel Bowyer - clever use of sector plate, compact design, perfectly executed.

Completely agree and one that I'd forgotten about until your post - I've now tracked down and am reading the copy of MRJ that it appeared in.

John

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First three that have inspired with regard to subject matter - light/narrow gauge, eccentric, with realised surroundings and story (helps when the maker writes well too) -

Augher Valley as mentioned before

Tregarrick - Iain Rice long ago

and the daddy of this approach - Madder Valley

and three that inspired by sheer quality, especially of scenic modelling -

Petherick

Hursley

and of course Pendon

As this thread has sprung to life again, now a few years on I would add

Lydham Heath

Pempoul

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My inspiration came from building all sorts of different types, gauges, scales and gauges with the Normanton and Pontefract model railway society, I found them very friendly and open with everyone and very willing to help.

my layout inspirations are

G C S quarry which I started as guest operater on, after several hours operating I was given the job of loading the hopper wagons which

was really good fun. This layout was later bought by a group of 3 former operaters and renamed R & M Quarries.

Bolden junction, I also had the chance to operate this layout several times and have spent many hours studying and chatting with the

Barrow in Furness members about the rolling stock used on this layout.

Tunbridge West Yard, I find this layout very interesting as it covers my favourite aspects of modelling, these being 3rd rail and civil

engineers rolling stock and track plant.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 05/08/2011 at 16:33, Grafarman said:

I think I would have to list:

1. Allied Marine and Loco Co (RM 1979), OO gauge industrial "plank" - mainly for the wonderful atmosphere and sheer exuberance of the creators; I still have the RM with it in...

2. Millhouse Lane (MR 55 May 2003) - O gauge with Allan Downes buildings...anyone know what happened to this layout? A real afternoon watching the trains come and go type of layout...

3. Gransmoor Castle (RM 1980-ish) - N gauge cross country with rolling hills and scratchbuilt buildings - the first "proper" N gauge layout I had ever seen and was my inspiration for ages...many trackplans for layouts ensued after seeing this one...!!

I realise that it's more than eight years since he asked the question, but Grafarman might like to know that Millhouse Lane is very much still in existence. It went into storage for a while, but then found a home as the resident O Gauge layout at Ruddington Model Rail Club, at the Great Central Railway Nottingham. It's been reduced a bit in size and re-arranged to fit the available space, but Allan Downes' buildings still impress visitors.

We try to have it operating, along with the club's 00 Gauge recreation of Ruddington Station in the 1950s, and our Thomas layout, 10:30-4 whenever the GCRN is operating trains, though this is dependent on having enough volunteers available (Sundays tend to be better than Saturdays). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, TonyKeen53 said:

I realise that it's more than eight years since he asked the question, but Grafarman might like to know that Millhouse Lane is very much still in existence. It went into storage for a while, but then found a home as the resident O Gauge layout at Ruddington Model Rail Club, at the Great Central Railway Nottingham. It's been reduced a bit in size and re-arranged to fit the available space, but Allan Downes' buildings still impress visitors.

We try to have it operating, along with the club's 00 Gauge recreation of Ruddington Station in the 1950s, and our Thomas layout, 10:30-4 whenever the GCRN is operating trains, though this is dependent on having enough volunteers available (Sundays tend to be better than Saturdays). 

Many thanks indeed; great to know, I'll organise a visit in the New Year

David 

• 2 months later...