LMS training films from 1930's

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I've been putting some video clips on YouTube so I could use them in RMWeb postings, I came across the following LMS 1930's film, in three parts.

Although the language is quaint and stilted, they are well worth a view if you're into semaphores and block working.

Certainly answer the question about LNWR signals bouncing!

That's what I call a soldering iron!

Apologies if you've seen them before.

Steve.

• 4 years later...

Fantastic find... Was it typical for the distant to be put back to caution (arm horizontal) so quickly, when the train was presumably still out of sight of the signaalman?

Bill

Maybe he had a track circuit indicator, or a treadle? Or maybe the line was straight enough that he could see it? However he did it, he'd have to be certain that he didn't drop the board back until the whole of the train was past it.

• 3 weeks later...

The plunger would operate the electric lock on the lever. The lever would be provided with such a lock for a number of reasons, eg a track-circuit thru' a Facing Point Lock, a track-circuit in advance of a signal, a signal released by 'Line Clear' from the next box etc etc

I was looking at a video of Exeter West Box in the 1960s.  It seems all or nearly all levers had an electric pushbutton to release.  What was the purpose of that

This is what confuses me. If the lever is locked he can't move it. It it's not locked , he can move it without further ado. Why press a button each time?

• RMweb Gold

This is what confuses me. If the lever is locked he can't move it. It it's not locked , he can move it without further ado. Why press a button each time?

The plunger simply operates the electric lock on the lever - that is separate from the mechanical locking.  Normally the Signalman wouldn't try to move a lever which is mechanically locked (some were daft enough to try it - I'm not really sure why but it did happen) but on a Western frame the plunger has to be operated to lift the electric lock.  On some frames - e.g the Westinghouse A3 used by the Southern - the electric lock is actuated by the movement of the catch handle so there is no need for a separate plunger.  

I think the main reason the Western did it their way was to allow easier fault tracing as it was immediately obvious on pressing the plunger that an electric lock wasn't lifting  (which reminds me of a happy evening trying to trace a fault on one so that the techs would at least know what the problem was before they arrived - I didn't find it, a spindle bearing on the relay had failed and of course I couldn't get that far beyond seeing that the relay wouldn't 'pick'  for some reason)

The plunger simply operates the electric lock on the lever - that is separate from the mechanical locking.  Normally the Signalman wouldn't try to move a lever which is mechanically locked (some were daft enough to try it - I'm not really sure why but it did happen) but on a Western frame the plunger has to be operated to lift the electric lock.  On some frames - e.g the Westinghouse A3 used by the Southern - the electric lock is actuated by the movement of the catch handle so there is no need for a separate plunger.  

I think the main reason the Western did it their way was to allow easier fault tracing as it was immediately obvious on pressing the plunger that an electric lock wasn't lifting  (which reminds me of a happy evening trying to trace a fault on one so that the techs would at least know what the problem was before they arrived - I didn't find it, a spindle bearing on the relay had failed and of course I couldn't get that far beyond seeing that the relay wouldn't 'pick'  for some reason)

Thanks , so the signalman in question , needed to release both the plunger and the catch , I can see why it's a one handed operation. Looking at the film , it must have been power operated, given how easy in general it was.

Another factor to consider is that in some cases (such as levers being locked by track-circuits) for most of the time the TC might be unoccupied. If therefore there was no 'switch' (whether a shelf plunger, catch-handle switch or foot plunger) in the circuit then the relay would be powered up for much of the time, which would soon drain the batteries! That's why AIUI such 'switches' were often referred to as 'economiser' contacts, as they saved on the leccy :-)

• RMweb Premium

In the proper parts of the world, the enconomisers are mounted about the gravity locks at the rear of the frame. The catch handle rod has an operating bar on it, that lifts the 'coathanger' arm of the economiser to make the lock pick. Therefore one easy movement operates the whole sherbang.

Andy G

Whilst I've been putting some video clips on YouTube so I could use them in RMWeb postings, I came across the following LMS 1930's film, in three parts.

Apologies if you've seen them before.

Steve.

No need to apologise at all. In fact if one searches "London, Midland and Scottish" in you tube several of their films pop up, much to the enjoyment of me and my 3 year old son. Didn't the LMS make a host of these? Are they available anywhere (apart from Youtube)?

Archived