1960's Somerset & Dorset Depot in O Gauge

Stephen Lacey (92245)

Well, here we are....... finally something I can call a layout! Although I have started a blog, I??™m probably going to delete it and just use this layout thread as a place to write about the ongoing construction of this as of yet un-named Motive Power Depot.

One thing I miss about the old RMWeb is the direct interaction of others as the thread progresses, so am hoping that this will be a sort of way round it! I may do a separate workbench thread, but on the other hand all the rolling stock being built will be used on this layout, so may simply give rolling stock and motive power updates in this here thread!

So as you can see, I have two baseboard built and secured permanently in place in my garage. Firstly I need to thank a good friend of mine ??“ Paul Craycraft ??“ for his time and help over a few days getting this far! It was Paul??™s knowledge of carpentry and practical thinking that has resulted in solid construction methods, along with practical storage for all non-railway related items. Paul himself, does not have a direct interest in railways, although it did not take a lot of tempting to get him involved when bottomless glasses of Kings Ale was offered as payment!

post-1374-12582255358747_thumb.jpg

post-1374-12582255915282_thumb.jpg

The layout itself is 0.76m x 4.80m or 2ft 6in x 16ft. I??™m not planning on having a fiddle yard of any description, which although may limit the operational , will increase space for actual modelling. In reality the layout is pretty much just going to a dioramatic showcase for my locos. I suppose I could muck about and shunt some wagons about, but I doubt there will be any space or legitimate reason to run any Mk1 coaches.

Tolworth Exhibition tomorrow to pick up a few bits, then hopefully Track laying should start on Monday, depending on whether I have decided on a track plan by then....

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen,

If I maybe so bold to advize, if you intend to store, use, run locos in a garage, especially 0 gauge, get it insulated, and dry-lined to cut down on the cold, and damp: and make sure your baseboards are sealed.

I'm interested to see how this develops.

Dont know how big the garage is, but you may be better off dry lining the ceiling and adding a wall to make a 'micro room' for the layout and yourself. If its a double garage so much the better.

Far better for you, and far better for the models.

Nice enviroment to work in, clean, easy to heat, no damp, draught proof and no dust from the walls or floors.

Thanks for the advice gents, it is something I have looked into doing, especially the ceiling!

Unfortunately its only a single garage, but I am looking at getting a new garage door fitted, seeing as the existing one is a tad bent in places....

I'm not going to store any of my motive power/rolling stock in the garage, they will be kept safely inside when not being used, least of all for insurance purposes!

Oh, and I hasten to add, that a lot of the junk surrounding the layout is due to a one way trip in the boot of my car to the tip....when the weather improves! :)

Cheers,

Stephen

Good luck Stephen!

I found that once I had made the garage a cosy comfortable place to work in I spent far more time there getting things done.

It must have been quite cozy as at one time I had several mice in there, no damage done apart from the overscale droppings on the platform!

It must have been quite cozy as at one time I had several mice in there, no damage done apart from the overscale droppings on the platform!

Thankfully I wont have to worry about the rodents, since constructing the baseboards and clearing a lot of the garage, my cats have taken a shine to the place so I'm sure they will keep any potential guests at bay!

Cheers,

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

No real progress on the layout as such, but definatly got some inspiration from seeing the various layouts at Warley and then all the products on display at Reading this weekend.

One thing has been decided though, the locomotive shed is going to be modelled on the shed at Templecombe. I've been in contact with the current landowners (Thales) in Templecombe and arranged a site visit with them on Tuesday. This should also give me a chance to photograph a few of the other smaller ex-railway buildings that survive on the site.

Still on the lookout for any scale drawings of the shed if anyone knows they exist? Waiting to hear back from the SDJR Trust to see what they have in their archives, so fingers crossed.

Next update should include some photos of the building in its current state.

Cheers,

Stephen

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did you get any joy from either your site visit or from the Trust?

If its any use I am currently doing drawings of Templecombe lower and would be more than happy to exchange info.

I have finished an elevation of the rear and part side, drawing of the small 1957 brick built structure at the south end.

I have worked out three sides of the other 1957 building bewteeen the shed and SM house - but cant get a clear shot showing the whole of the yard side of this building.

I have enough information to draw the SM house

I nearly have enough on the former goods shed (only missing the rail side to clearly show the number of blocked in windows)

Kind regards

Duncan

Archived