Gaugemaster

Ian Hargrave

• 1 month later...

Thought i would mention this. Ordered a Berko N Gauge signal late Monday night. Recieved an acknowledgment e-mail straight away. Recieved another e-mail Thursday morning saying item picked and ready for despatch. Item delivered early today Friday. I did pay the £1.50 postage charge instead of free delivery as i wanted it by the weekend. Overall i think it was a good service and will use again.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I occaisionally order things online and get them sent to Barcelona (there prices are not always the cheapest mind) but the service is really good and well packaged.

During a 24 hr stint in the UK yesterday, I was in the area and got off the Gatwick bound train at Ford to visit the shop.

WoW!! That's an impressive set up...well worth a look.

I could have spent 3 hours and a lot of money but instead spent 20 mins and no cash as had little spare room in the luggage and its difficult to get small tools etc through Gatwick in hand luggage!

Nice place and I will continue to shop online...

Pete

• 6 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Surprised to see no comments on here since 2011.

The engine shed at Ford, Home of guagemaster has been my local model shop since we moved to Felpham in 2014. They have always given good service, with very friendly staff and yes I gave also used their mail order service as it was convenient to get something sent to the office.

Yesterday in taking the Dean goods back, I received exceptional service from Mark, the shop Manager. Very attentive in trying to help, thanks guys.

Definitely recommended.

• Like 1

Use them quite a bit, picked up a good few things that are either cheaper than elsewhere or scare elsewhere. Although most of their prices are higher than others if its only a few oddments that are needed the post free option on a £15+ order often balances out in their favour. Whilst they quote 4-5 day delivery for such I have had a next day delivery on one occasion.

• Like 1

I suppose a sign of the times but went in for a curved HOm point and found they had reduced stock down to the bare minimum. Lh and Rh points, no curved points,no slips

Much reduced from a couple of years ago

Luckily we were in Chichester for shopping anyway but this was a shop I always relied on to have a wide range. Alternatives via mail order are cheaper so a customer lost

And with Winco retirement this year I was hoping Gaugemaster would be looking to take over sales of BEMO in the south

Colin

I suppose a sign of the times but went in for a curved HOm point and found they had reduced stock down to the bare minimum. Lh and Rh points, no curved points,no slips

Web sites show they have curved points in stock at the moment and slips are on order

http://www.gaugemaster.com/search_results.asp?searchstring=scale~~%AChom%AC~~scale+category~~1262~~category&style=&andor=&method=kws&strType=

Edited by Butler Henderson

Much reduced from a couple of years ago

Luckily we were in Chichester for shopping anyway but this was a shop I always relied on to have a wide range. Alternatives via mail order are cheaper so a customer lost

And with Winco retirement this year I was hoping Gaugemaster would be looking to take over sales of BEMO in the south

Colin

I doubt that they had reduced stock down to a bare minimum more likely just sold out of the point YOU needed.

I visit the shop at Ford a fair few times a year and it is a fantastic goldmine for modellers. The staff are ever so helpful 10/10 in my book and very knowledgeable too. I would like to use them more but in my scale of O guage most things are significantly cheaper elsewhere which is a real shame so I ending up mainly just buying little odds and ends, paint etc.

I have used them online, and been very happy. Definitely would buy again.

I'd love to visit in person, but Arundel is a little off the beaten track for the few times I visit the UK (with family in tow!)

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Premium

I have used them online, and been very happy. Definitely would buy again.

I'd love to visit in person, but Arundel is a little off the beaten track for the few times I visit the UK (with family in tow!)

Arundel itself would be a lovely place to bring the family when you are over next. Lovely small town, lots of history, set in a great valley, places to eat and drink - very typically English.

Where Gaugemaster are located is next to Ford station, some two miles walk to Arundel, but you can also get a train. Arundel station being about 1/2 mile from the town.

• Like 1

I doubt that they had reduced stock down to a bare minimum more likely just sold out of the point YOU needed.

I asked and they admitted they no longer stock the wider range only the Lh and Rh straight points

I understand why they can use the space for more saleable items. Just means I have less reason to visit

• 4 weeks later...

Although not the case in your example, it is always worth asking if they do indeed have the item you require.

They stock a number of items that are not displayed in the shop, but kept in their warehouse.

You'd be surprised at just how many obscure bits and pieces they have!

• RMweb Premium

Also, while in the Arundel area, a visit to Amberley Chalk Pits Museum is a great day out for all the family. Trains, buses, cars, separate museums for telephony, electricity, radio and television, even bricks and concrete, plus wood turning, broom making, printing, and more.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just like to compliment Gaugemaster on their service after I messed them about by changing my order. Everything arrived today, just as I wanted in the revised order.

steve

• 9 months later...

Echoing other comments above. Ordered at 10am, delivered next day at 9.05 by UPS for no more than 1st Signed For and not a light parcel either.  Not the overall cheapest, but will be a go to for my HO needs in the future. Excellent and efficient.

• 4 weeks later...

Must say I've never purchased anything from Gaugemaster, the reason why?

I have never seen any new product priced less than RRP on their website every time I go there, I'm sure their service is good but they are very expensive compared to everyone else (the latest Bachmann Class 90 a perfect example).

• Agree 2

I have been dealing with Gaugemaster for many years, both personal and trade and consider them to have one of the best websites in the hobby. If you are only interested in a narrow range of models(eg Bachmann class 90), then they may not be for you, but I suggest everyone should have a look through their website, especially their HO and N gauge plastic kits as there might be something you have not seen elsewhere. They always say what is in stock, and if not if it is possible to order. Part of the fun of the hobby is looking around to see what is available. Having said that I sometimes then look elsewhere online to see if something can be found cheaper, but often find when postage is taken into account Gaugemaster are still best option.

• Agree 1

On 29/05/2019 at 23:20, rue_d_etropal said:

Having said that I sometimes then look elsewhere online to see if something can be found cheaper, but often find when postage is taken into account Gaugemaster are still best option.

Ditto - when buying a few bits of kits etc there is only so much discount you get elsewhere - often due to the free delivery it is better to go with Gaugemaster than the big 'discounters' who then charge £4 or more for delivery

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Plans are afoot! When and how, watch their website or official communications on their facebook or RMWeb pages.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

it's easy criticise these days but a word regarding EXCELLENT customer service. I received a damaged package from Gaugemaster/ Engine Shed  that had been " delivered " by Canada Post. The more expensive items were still in the extensively damaged package but the smaller, cheaper ones were missing. 

After sending details to Gaugemaster they promptly put replacements in the post. This time even Canada Post couldn't sc**w up as it came by courier. Arrived 5/6 days after dispatch. Thank you very much as it means that I can continue to indulge myself in the "black arts" of wiring a layout. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1