Gaugemaster

Ian Hargrave

Instead of flogging this particular dead horse, might I suggest you try some railway modelling or some other form of meditative contemplation.  It might make you feel less aggrieved at the world in general.

I have six layouts in 6 gauges and build layouts for others. 

I have plenty to do and earn good money doing it.

All I am doing is trying to post some facts. 

I think I'll just keep my facts to myself in future .... your loss.

5 hours ago, SGP said:

Says a lot when I offer facts and the owner of the forum sides with comments against what I am trying to say. 

unfortunately some of your “facts” are incorrect.

There is nothing preventing an importer/manufacturer who also sell direct from selling at less than their RRP.

It is just poor form for the supplier to do so.

some do... (for example discounts on multiple purchases, or selling at discount on Amazon) much to the frustration of many retailers 

Gaugemaster are generally good in this respect and do not generally discount, but when they do, they offer a proportional discount on trade price of the same item.

Gaugemaster are successful, have a business model that works for them and clearly feel that they don’t need to chase turnover by cutting prices to the bone.

Discounting is not compulsory, if the price isn’t to your liking, there are other retailers out there, but Gaugemaster offer a huge range, particularly in continental models that you simply cannot find so comprehensively anywhere else.

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 6
  • Agree 4

• Moderators
5 hours ago, SGP said:

Says a lot when I offer facts and the owner of the forum sides with comments against what I am trying to say. 

I'd rein it in a bit if I were you instead of being obnoxious and combative and if you're daft enough to rub me up the wrong way then you can guess what's coming.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SGP said:

I have six layouts in 6 gauges and build layouts for others. 

Sounds great.  Why don’t you post some pictures on the layouts forum.  I would love to see them.

Cheers

Darius

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'd rein it in a bit if I were you instead of being obnoxious and combative and if you're daft enough to rub me up the wrong way then you can guess what's coming.

I've done a bit more backtracking and had forgotten just how obnoxious you were in May 2017 in emails to me; well, you've reminded me so now you've got previous this is not an isolated instance and I'll review whether you can continue being here or not. How that turns out is also in your hands.

• Like 4

Thumbs up for Gaugemaster from me. I have a Model Q four track unit and a couple of handhelds on my loft layout - quite a few years old and never a problem. They are also a reliable source for O scale Kadee couplings at a fair price, mail order is quick.

Brit15

On 23/06/2021 at 22:05, AY Mod said:

Perhaps not everyone wants to eat at the cheapest restaurant, have the car serviced by the cheapest mechanic, buy the cheapest clothes etc etc?

As they say, price isn't everything but it's probably fruitless to try and explain the concept to someone for whom it is.

It is true that certain service suppliers have 'snob' appeal and deliberately charge higher prices to maintain that appeal (see jewellers, boutique clothes stores etc) but is that really the case with model shops? Do I get more social cache by shopping at Gaugemaster - is it a place to be "seen"???

I am happy to pay a higher price for better service but there are plenty of places (Hattons, Hereford, Trains4u, Kernow) who offer exceptional service and charge well below RRP. So why go to somewhere that offers mediocre service and charges much more?

I get they now want to focus on being primary a wholesale supplier. If that is true then fine, but why would a retail customer go there if being a supplier so severely constrains their discounting? (although I'm not sure it does for the reasons already stated - ie they don't wholesale supply everything they retail).

11 minutes ago, fezza said:

It is true that certain service suppliers have 'snob' appeal and deliberately charge higher prices to maintain that appeal (see jewellers, boutique clothes stores etc) but is that really the case with model shops? Do I get more social cache by shopping at Gaugemaster - is it a place to be "seen"???

I am happy to pay a higher price for better service but there are plenty of places (Hattons, Hereford, Trains4u, Kernow) who offer exceptional service and charge well below RRP. So why go to somewhere that offers mediocre service and charges much more?

I get they now want to focus on being primary a wholesale supplier. If that is true then fine, but why would a retail customer go there if being a supplier so severely constrains their discounting? (although I'm not sure it does for the reasons already stated - ie they don't wholesale supply everything they retail).

We get your point, you experienced poor service and found the prices too high.  Plenty of people are very happy with Gaugemaster's pricing and business model.

Their prices cant have put you off too much if you bought a loco from them though, why didn't you go elsewhere for a better service and price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkersson said:

Their prices cant have put you off too much if you bought a loco from them though, why didn't you go elsewhere for a better service and price?

Only because I was passing.

Don't worry about me, I won't make the same mistake again.

This is supposed to be a review forum, not just friends of retailers cheering on their mates.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Reading this thread I am frequently reminded of this quote from Winston Churchill:-

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...

They are getting a thumbs down from me at the moment. I sent them a list of parts I needed to restore a Heljan 86/6 back to showroom, to get an email back telling that the only bits they have in are on the website. So I went back asking if they really are the UK supplier of Heljan parts. To which they replied that when they do get parts in, they will take a while to stocktake them and put them on the site.  So I have now gone back and asked for clarity about if they can order parts or not? They are being so obtuse and unhelpful in the face of a simple question. Are they the UK suppliers of Heljan parts or not? 

I don't expect a car part supplier to claim they only have some parts in, and when they do get parts in it may take a while to process them. The website clearly states that if you let them know what you want, they will get it in, so I don't comprehend the rubbish I am getting from them.

3 hours ago, Esmedune said:

They are getting a thumbs down from me at the moment.

It is my understanding from previous communications on the subject with the that, whilst Heljan have sent ALL of their spares to them, the list is not fully comprehensive.

Rather than use a forum to try and disgrace a local supplier, might it be more beneficial to contact Heljan direct at Heljan@Heljan.dk to get the official view?

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Esmedune said:

They are getting a thumbs down from me at the moment. I sent them a list of parts I needed to restore a Heljan 86/6 back to showroom, to get an email back telling that the only bits they have in are on the website. So I went back asking if they really are the UK supplier of Heljan parts. To which they replied that when they do get parts in, they will take a while to stocktake them and put them on the site.  So I have now gone back and asked for clarity about if they can order parts or not? They are being so obtuse and unhelpful in the face of a simple question. Are they the UK suppliers of Heljan parts or not? 

I don't expect a car part supplier to claim they only have some parts in, and when they do get parts in it may take a while to process them. The website clearly states that if you let them know what you want, they will get it in, so I don't comprehend the rubbish I am getting from them.

Why blame Gaugemaster ? They can only supply the parts that Heljan supply them with.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Esmedune said:

Are they the UK suppliers of Heljan parts or not? 

The website clearly states that if you let them know what you want, they will get it in, 

Yes they are. 

So does pretty much every other retail business, it's called placing a back order. Find the parts you require on the website, order them, and they will magically arrive when in stock.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I don't comprehend the rubbish I am getting from them.

To manage your expectations Hornby, Bachmann and Dapol or their appointed stockists won't have all spares for all models available at all times either.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Normally I order my Roco spares from them and the parts will turn up eventually. In fact I am still awaiting parts ordered months ago from them. I think the real issue is how long manufacturers take to send these parts and even the manufacturers don’t actually have them sometimes. Gaugemaster are the uk importers for Roco but I get the impression since brexit that the uk market to our European friends is not so important.

• Agree 1

Spare parts can be pain all round - manufacture, distributor, retailer to end user. First & foremost (unlike spare parts for vehicles**) there is very little money in it.

Secondly, many distributors use an accounts/stock control system (such as one from the Sage stable) that requires everything to go though the system. So when an obscure part is ordered it has to be entered onto the database before it is processed. It will then been forwarded to the "manufacture" with other parts ordered. It's quite possible that some parts will only be sold once only.

Parts regarded as "consumerbles" are amother matter.

For example, years ago, when you wanted spares for a "Margate" Hornby locomotive someone would pick it out of a parts bin & send it on. Now of couse, the parts bin (if it even exists) will be in China.

European rolling stock is manufactured not just in Europe - all over the world - China, Vietnam to name just 2.

Spare parts are not really a priority in the big picture. Manufacturing & spare parts availability could be brought back locally but our models would cost more - we cannot have it both ways.

One of the best manufactures for spare parts used to be Flesichmann - they carried spares for models produced 40 odd years ago, but look what happened to them.

FWIW my experience with Heljan direct left me with a vow to never, ever by one of their products (buildings excepted) again.

**You cannot compair model railways with the motor industry vehicle manufactures probably make more money on spare parts/service items than on the original vehicle sales, then you have all the patten parts suppliers making money too.

Vehicles will always require spare parts/service items - a huge percentage of model railway locomotive will never require anything.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

32 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

Spare parts can be pain all round - manufacture, distributor, retailer to end user. First & foremost (unlike spare parts for vehicles**) there is very little money in it.

Secondly, many distributors use an accounts/stock control system (such as one from the Sage stable) that requires everything to go though the system. So when an obscure part is ordered it has to be entered onto the database before it is processed. It will then been forwarded to the "manufacture" with other parts ordered. It's quite possible that some parts will only be sold once only.

Parts regarded as "consumerbles" are amother matter.

For example, years ago, when you wanted spares for a "Margate" Hornby locomotive someone would pick it out of a parts bin & send it on. Now of couse, the parts bin (if it even exists) will be in China.

European rolling stock is manufactured not just in Europe - all over the world - China, Vietnam to name just 2.

Spare parts are not really a priority in the big picture. Manufacturing & spare parts availability could be brought back locally but our models would cost more - we cannot have it both ways.

One of the best manufactures for spare parts used to be Flesichmann - they carried spares for models produced 40 odd years ago, but look what happened to them.

FWIW my experience with Heljan direct left me with a vow to never, ever by one of their products (buildings excepted) again.

**You cannot compair model railways with the motor industry vehicle manufactures probably make more money on spare parts/service items than on the original vehicle sales, then you have all the patten parts suppliers making money too.

Vehicles will always require spare parts/service items - a huge percentage of model railway locomotive will never require anything.

I agree in the main with the points made, but what is annoying when the manufacturers put in a exploded view of the item with associated parts list. There is an expectation  you can easily obtain spares. Recently I needed a replacement decoder for a pre installed decoder installed at manufacturer. The loco was not even 6 months old and even the manufacturer didn’t have the replacement, which was reported as unavailable. So how many spares are produced outside a production run for a model, I suspect very few.

57 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

So how many spares are produced outside a production run for a model, I suspect very few.

You could very well be right in thast respect.

Manufactures own data should tell them what tends to fall off & get lost or easily broken.

I would think that part of "the deal" between the brand name & the factory in the far east would be to have a surplus of models to cover warranties & replaced models cannabalised for spare parts. Possibly any model specific spares would be thrown in as well.

We are no longer in a repair society - we are in a throw away society.

1 hour ago, SamThomas said:

We are no longer in a repair society - we are in a throw away society.

yes very true, but can be a very expensive throw away. But a recent experience that I accidentally knocked a railcar off the layout, completely my fault. The model was extensively damaged and unfortunately the model was no longer available. So decided to get spare body shells which turned out more expensive than the original model. And yes fortunately I got specific railway insurance which lessened the blow. Yes we maybe a throw away society but sometimes replacement is not available and if you want a have that special model good as new repair is the only option but the rub is, can you get parts.