Bachmann 9F "Evening Star"

Garry D100

• 1 month later...

Having read the doubts about the straightness of the tender and running plate expressed here I saw that Hattons have these versions of the 9F at quite a nice price so bought one yesterday, and will be interested in whether or not mine has any serious faults, it will take a week to reach me in NZ. It is destined for heavy weathering probably, no doubt the promised production weathered 92233 will appear now!

The version used for Hattons' photos looks quite straight... nice photos anyway.

post-7929-0-29334000-1354310130.jpg

post-7929-0-21661200-1354310147.jpg

post-7929-0-64081900-1354310166.jpg

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have stock on their hands. At the NEC Warley Show on Saturday,one of these was sold for £ 50 off the Bachmann Trade stand. Overall,there were some bargains to be had which I,personally,have never seen in all my years of attending the show.I availed myself of a couple of them (not 'Evening Star',it must be said) If you had a bargain ,Rob,just enjoy it while you can. Looks ok to me. But then ,I only saw the prototype once,while still a Canton loco,

Yes, that's a dilemma, whether or not to weather it.... having seen film and Youtube clips of the real 92220 in its Somerset and Dorset years, hmmmm. Graceful engine, at yard speeds anyway, and the sense of untapped power was always there with 9Fs. Nice for crews too. It will depend on how reckless I'm feeling one day when I have paints out. I'd have perhaps bought two if they were 50 quid as at Warley!

The Hattons' Bachmann 'Evening Star' is new and presumably good on special at 89 Pounds, or was yesterday. That's what I bought. I don't know about the 50 quid one (or ones) at Warley. I shouldn't think Bachmann would sell faulty ones at a discount.

Actually I have no idea where faulty retail returns end up.

• RMweb Gold

The Hattons' Bachmann 'Evening Star' is new and presumably good on special at 89 Pounds, or was yesterday. That's what I bought. I don't know about the 50 quid one (or ones) at Warley. I shouldn't think Bachmann would sell faulty ones at a discount.

To set the matter straight,I purchased a weathered,de-chipped 9F for £66 and an ex-sound Patriot (45504) for £50. Both are obviously returns but are flawless both cosmetically and performance wise.And there was more than one 'Evening Star' There were also some incredible bargains for the Class 85 and Desiros elsewhere in the show. Word is that the electrics have not been selling well,unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

I bought an "Evening Star" when they were re-released last year. Despite some of the concerns, mine was as straight as a die and runs beautifully (as do all my Bachmann 9Fs). If I had the skill to weather it, I would. £89 sounds like a pretty good bargain to me, Rob. Hope your sample reaches NZ in A1 nick.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I used to have 2 factory-weathered black versions but sold them last year. I have in mind actually painting 92220 grubby black and wonder if the 1F tender weas fitted to many double chimney black versions.

Rob

In a word,yes. The final 40/50 or so were originally W.R. allocated,Crewe or Swindon built with double-chimney and that tender circa 1958-60. Can I ask why you want to paint this iconic loco black? Bachmann do ,I think,92240 as a special in black.

Oh, I couldn't find a factory weathered 92185 nor 92044... the two models I had, looking quickly on Ebay or similar, at under 100 pounds , and I enjoy painting and weathering some engines. There are plenty of black pristine versions around too, but these are mostly over 100 pounds. At 89 quid less tax plus a bit less for air freight 92220 was a nice price. I presume it's correctly matched with the BR1G tender.

So it's really just a project. Note it will be re-numbered and maybe painted in the very dirty condition some of the ran in the 1960s. I'm wondering if the double chimney BR1G locos spent their last years in the Midlands rather than on the Western Region?

Here is my 92044 ... factory weathering, my photo and extras.

post-7929-0-31645200-1354420784.jpg

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Again,yes.During the last few years,the 9F could be seen almost anywhere.It was the last steam loco to operate with any degree of consistency in the Derby / Nottingham / Chesterfield area until late 1966 , for instance. Important ,also ,to remember that ,latterly, they were not always paired with their original ,as built, tenders. So , Rob ,anything goes.

I think Bachmann will release the version you require shortly. I did see an 'in preparation ' version in their display cabinet at Warley last Sat.

Thanks Ian and John for those replies. I think the upcoming Bachmann weathered 9F will be nice and certainly fills the bill, and the 92220 Evening Star I bought rather impulsively a few days ago was mostly because the price was attractive. Something around 84 pounds with VAT off and tracked air freight added.

The model remind me of the mid 1960s when I built two Airfix 9Fs., painted one in Evening Star colours and left one 'in the black'. Both ran really well, unpowered and towed along a long straight diorama with brown cotton on a spool connected to a Meccano clockwork motor!

In any event I expect to enjoy finding out if the new model is in fact a good runner. I think the chances are in the area of 'probably good' as I have had a very few non-runners/poor runners in purchases over the last few years, and perhaps 5% have problems, 2% are returned to retailer. And as to weathering or painting, I shall do that if in the mood. I recently bought a BR green Bachmann 2-6-4T Standard tank engine , also slightly impulsively, and changed it to BR black renumbered to a late BR Salisbury engine ... might do similar with 92220 and look at shed allocations c1966

post-7929-0-81000300-1354482482.jpg

Again,yes.During the last few years,the 9F could be seen almost anywhere.It was the last steam loco to operate with any degree of consistency in the Derby / Nottingham / Chesterfield area until late 1966 , for instance. Important ,also ,to remember that ,latterly, they were not always paired with their original ,as built, tenders. So , Rob ,anything goes.

I think Bachmann will release the version you require shortly. I did see an 'in preparation ' version in their display cabinet at Warley last Sat.

That certainly leaves a lot of room to ponder the painting in BR grime as per typical early-60s. One has to ask how long it might be before the new weathered Bachmann offering will take... with Kernows also offering Evening Star at a nice price I might just buy two and keep one in BR Brunswick...

Just out of interest my previous two Bachmann factory-weathered 9Fs had no faults, although on DC they very slightly baulked on type 2 radius curves, not that it mattered as one was DCC and was unaffected (I had both power sources on my tabletop railway back before the earthquake).

Trouble is, I want to keep a little cash for ordinary living!

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I asked Bachmann quite some years ago now - they sell on their stand at Warley models that have been returned as faulty either direct to them or via retailers, which have been checked/repaired and work perfectly but cannot be sold as "new".

As I thought Brushman.

Have there been any more cases of crushed cab corners (as I highlighted on my Youtube review, see earlier in this thread) - the packaging around the rear of the cab corners can cause the cab roof to cul up/down, damaging the paintwork.

Just out of interest .. on DC they very slightly baulked on type 2 radius curves, not that it mattered as one was DCC and was unaffected ...

Purely mechanics. There's audible 'grunting' as the wheelsets are forced to conform to the curve. It is quite easy to demonstrate that a DC supply that will maintain slow motion on straight track indefinitely, will allow the model to stall on smaller radius curves, and especially set track radii. Expect the same from the new eight coupled GWR tanks which have similar coupled wheelbase length. Back EMF control as typically found with DCC prevents a visible speed reduction.

Well, I have covered all the bases by buying a second 92220 and that should allow a nice full re-paint and weathering on one, and possibly an attampt to slightly weather the BR Brunswick version.

Did 'Evening Star' work as much freight as others of the last 40 or so built or was she somehow more often on passenger turns? I have seen film clips of her on the S&D looking moderately clean, by the standards of the day, but by no means pristine. Nice pic in msg 7 in this thread. My Modelmaster shed allocation book has her in 1960 allocated to 86C Cardiff Canton then in 1963 to 81F Oxford, so I'd be interested to know when or if she was shedded at Bath or elsewhere at different times...

Rob

My Modelmaster shed allocation book has her in 1960 allocated to 86C Cardiff Canton then in 1963 to 81F Oxford, so I'd be interested to know when or if she was shedded at Bath or elsewhere at different times...

There is a nice shot of Evening Star in the Bradford Barton, BR Standard 9F Class, p 88-89. Inside Ebbow Junction shed in April 1964. 92220 has that well maintained but grimy look. Lining forward of the cab is mostly gone.

A good allocation list for 92220 would be Canton, Bath Green, OOC, Oxford, Bath Green again and Cardiff.

Archived