Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

Looking through the Warley 2009 Guide, a few pages from the end, there is a full page announcement that in 2010 Heljan is going to be doing the Baby Deltic, 4-character headcode version, in both green and blue.

Hopefully there'll be more info on their stand at the show.

Time to start saving.

(I suppose you might have got Kestrel and a Baby Deltic together at Kings Cross)

Looking through the Warley 2009 Guide, a few pages from the end, there is a full page announcement that in 2010 Heljan is going to be doing the Baby Deltic, 4-character headcode version, in both green and blue.

Hopefully there'll be more info on their stand at the show.

Time to start saving.

(I suppose you might have got Kestrel and a Baby Deltic together at Kings Cross)

Topic is here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/2779-Heljan-class-23-baby-deltic/

• RMweb Gold

well missed this one for a few days due to work commitments. Excellent news.post-6925-12582708438236_thumb.jpg

This finally gives me the chance to ditch my "scratch built" 23 based on the Monty Wells 1983 RM which has been ongoing for nigh on 20 years.

I will be definately getting two of the first batch D5909 and D5901 the Derby RCD machine that lasted till 1976.

They were known to work as far north as Peterbrough and March. They could be diagrammed as any other type 2 sheded at Finsbury Park, their limit being drivers with the route knowledge and passed in driving them once out of their normal stamping ground. Many modellers will run them out of their operating area, in "its my train set mode", and why not. :)

Hopefully it will be a nice model.

The loco's spent a lot of time shedded at Hitchin. They were mainly worked by Hitchin crews.

... I suppose you might have got Kestrel and a Baby Deltic together at Kings Cross.

Either 5905 or 5909, ( these were the only two in service beyond 1969) would be the likely candidates. Cannot think offhand of a photo showing both Kestrel and a baby deltic, but their paths 'must' have crossed somewhere on the KX - outer suburban route.

But what has the Baby Deltic got to say about all this?

Despite all the evidence about most other early diesels being found on the S&D in large numbers and on a frequent basis, even Class 15s, I just can't find any reference to Baby Deltics working over Masbury.... wink.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

I'm sure you will though.laugh.gif

They are the same. They appear different because of the lack of sand boxes on the Baby Deltics. The class 20s with the lightening holes on the equalising beam may have class 23 bogies under them as this style of beam was first used on the type 2s.

The 20's come with 3 variants of bogies, the version with holes in the equalising beam is also on the Baby Deltic's.

The Baby Deltic bogies did have sand boxes as well, but not on all loco's, at any one time.

The sandboxes seem to go one and off, and picture proof is very inconsistent which loco ran with and which without.

Must have meant many bogie swaps happening.

Have got nearly 100 pictures on file to back this.

Regards, Michel.

• RMweb Gold

This scan of an old Brownie 127 photo might be of interest. I think I took it c1961 at Stratford when the class was in store or withdrawn or something, but I could be wrong.

post-6683-12589193675775_thumb.jpg

edit: sorry about the size it uploaded the whole scanner page :(

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice one Phil.

Any more ?

Could you scan in high res and (re)post please ?

Regards, Michel

I'll have a go somewhen, but remember it's just a nearly 50 year old photo from a plastic camera which cost about 10 shillings (50p)

OK I will restate with corrections, when refurbished the Baby Deltics did not have sandboxes. They still had the same desgin of bogie as the Choppers. :)

Just entering pedantic mode.... the cab steps were positioned differently......... just exiting pedantic mode.... just incase someone thinks of adapting a class 20 chassis for a baby deltic.;)

Just entering pedantic mode.... the cab steps were positioned differently......... just exiting pedantic mode.... just incase someone thinks of adapting a class 20 chassis for a baby deltic.;)

Brian Webb, in his D&C Locomotive Studies (the ones on EE locos and the Deltics), states they were 'generally similar', but obviously didnt ask Lloyd about the specifics ;) There is a bit more info about the lightening work, which again has parallels with the work done on the later 20s, but given the step issue and the likelihood of there being plenty of spares within the 20 fleet, swaps between the classes would seem unlikely

OK I will restate with corrections, when refurbished the Baby Deltics did not have sandboxes. They still had the same desgin of bogie as the Choppers. :)

Sorry, but have to challenge this.

I've got pictures of D5903, D5904 and D5909, refurbished with headcode box / yellow warning panel, and bogies with sandboxes on.

Due to copyright reasons, I'm likely not allowed to post these on here, but happy to share them in any other way.

Collected them from the net myself.

Regards, Michel

• RMweb Gold
On 22/11/2009 at 22:30, Baby Deltic said:

Just entering pedantic mode.... the cab steps were positioned differently......... just exiting pedantic mode.... just incase someone thinks of adapting a class 20 chassis for a baby deltic.wink.gif

Now you tell me!

P1060098.JPG.2239fe29be38e0cec927e41fa0d8c86e.JPG

A1 models body on Lima class 20 chassis, no sign of footsteps but oh oh! sandboxes ....... 🤣 

Edited by RedgateModels

Tea Boy,

You're right. As long as it's to decent Heljan standards, many will enjoy them. Have never experienced them in real life, but have a soft spot for their looks. More a baby 37 to me, in that sense.

Sadly, building Falmouth Docks in Cornwall, of no use to me. Nor the BTH, and both would have been nice on the layout.

---------------

RedgateModels,

D5903, D5904 and D5909 did have the sandboxes ON ( if only briefly ? ) after overhaul !!!!!!

Can send picture proof off forum ( PM or email ? )

Regards, Michel

• 2 weeks later...

well missed this one for a few days due to work commitments. Excellent news.post-6925-12582708438236_thumb.jpg

This finally gives me the chance to ditch my "scratch built" 23 based on the Monty Wells 1983 RM which has been ongoing for nigh on 20 years.

I will be definately getting two of the first batch D5909 and D5901 the Derby RCD machine that lasted till 1976.

I wonder what ever happened to Monty Wells? He did a few very well written articles in the RM mag and then suddenly disssapeared, which was a shame. his best was the April eddition one with model and history of the NBL "Taurus" loco. Probably one of the funniest april 1st spoofs I've ever read.

Jim

I wonder what ever happened to Monty Wells? He did a few very well written articles in the RM mag and then suddenly disssapeared, which was a shame.

He jumped ship to MRJ when it started - there are quite a few of his articles in the early editions. An epic conversion of Lima GWR railcars in to a 2 car set and a class 73 detailing article spring to mind. All beautifully illustrated and well worth tracking down.

• Like 1

He jumped ship to MRJ when it started - there are quite a few of his articles in the early editions. An epic conversion of Lima GWR railcars in to a 2 car set and a class 73 detailing article spring to mind. All beautifully illustrated and well worth tracking down.

Thanks for that Pete. ;)

• 4 weeks later...