Heljan Baby Deltic

Burkitt

• RMweb Premium

Just seen the RRP for the Baby Deltic, not baby in price think will have to have a rethink.

Must've missed this somewhere - please tell...

Maybe it's the cost of all those extra Clayton Class 17 chassis buried somewhere ;)

Brian

RRP is ??119.95

Expect them to be selling for around ??105 - 110

Thanks Gareth

All - sensible comments are still welcome but let's not have a repeat of the class 14 topic, please. If you think it's too much, fair enough, don't buy it, but don't bother telling everybody about it ;)

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Which RTR coaching stock would be suitable for the class 23's? Also were they known to haul freight too?

Paul

1B66 Cambridge Buffet Express: BR mk 1, with usually a Gresley buffet car, sometimes a Thompson, later on eventually a Mk1. Don't forget that for at least one season, 1964?, the CBE was extended to Ely.

The Mk1's in general replaced Thompson or Gresley vehicles.

Suburban trains had "lesser quality" ie older stock for distance runs such as Cmbridge, but more usually the suburbans didn't get as far and would be Quad-Art sets or non-corridor Mk 1's.

Yes they did revenue freight; I have memories of them on goods trains at Sandy and Peterborough North. They were also used on engineer's trains; don't forget Hitchin was their base for a long while (the present-day engineer's yard is the purpose built diesel depot). There was a pw depot at Hitchin in those days; I think it worked in collaboration with the rail depot at Chesterton Junction north of Cambridge (pioneer of long-welded rail). I remember 20's working between the 2 depots.

• 5 months later...

Any new updates on the Baby Deltic, it would seem Heljan have a lot on their plate Lion (which we have seen a body of), 23, 28 and 76's, I just wondered if they'll get them out by November. When do Heljan usually announce their models last year it was November I seem to recall.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Sample of Heljan Baby Deltic on the stand at Warley, Rebuilt 4 panel headcode version, body not decorated, pink/red primer finish which is similar to Works primer colour,

Model certainly captures the essence of the class, might not topple the Hymek for that elusive body to bogie relationship, but it is still under development so that may change

Baby Deltic, sorry mate I mean't if Heljan have announced any plans to produce the pre headcode panel version, the initial version in plain green with disc headcode.

Regards Paul

I don't think Heljan are sure at this stage, Paul. I think the question was asked some time ago and early indications were not at the moment.

After looking at the model on display at Warley I was thinking of getting one, chopping the body up and inserting various additions, changing the bogies and converting it to a Class 37!

Well that's an original slant on the 'we soooo need another model of the 37' debatelaugh.gif

It looks as if Heljan will be doing a unrefurbished version, but not for about 2 years.

Where'd you get that info from, 2 years is a long wait might just go for the up coming Dapol 21's, Baccy 40 to go with my 24's, 31's, 15's and 37 for my Stratford layout, however no doubt that will change once I see one

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this thread out from the pile but did anybody take any photos of the pre-pro at Warley that they can post here please ?

(for drooling evaluation purposes by those that didn't make it there)

Many thanks

Hi,

There's some nice pictures in the current Hornby Magazine

Simon