Decoder for 32-180 Bachmann Crab 42919

250BOB

Hi Guys,

Have any of you tackled this loco yet, a quick look inside has indicated to me that it might prove difficult.....?????

Any help and recommendations as to which decoder and where to fit it would be appreciated.

Thanks...........................Bob.

Hi Bob - you could go for a Lenz Silver or even a Lenz Standard dropped into the space where the front chassis weight is fitted, just drop out the weight and off you go.

Hi Karl........I wish I could take out the weight, it would be easy without it I feel.

My problem is that I do have gradients, and am always struggling for traction with trains, even though they are just over 1 in 100.

I suppose it might be worth a try perhaps......I'll give it a go with a Standard, I have some of those around, and see what the traction is like.

Cheers ........Bob.

Kuehn N045 or 045. Both very small fully programmable decoders which will fit anywhere. Top quality, these will cope with up to 1A and I have one in my Hornby N15 which will only acceptable a small decoder. Typical European decoder, streets ahead of US sourced decoders in specification and performance..

Google DM- Toys, Daniel offers very good service and will take PayPal.

My only connection is a very content customer.

If retaining weight is an issue (isn't it for all of us hehe) then you could always open up the back of the smokebox and pop in a small chip like the TCM MC1 or a Lenz mini silver/gold - could also drop it into the bunker and run the wires through the cab floor but that involves a bit more surgery.

Oops, forgot - Squires tools used to sell "liquid lead" which was jars of incredibly fine lead shot (or some lead substitute) that could be poured into any suitable spaces on a chassis or bodyshell and sealed with epoxy resin.

I bought some from them at a show years ago, probably Bristol show, and still have loads left as it goes a really long way so that might be an avenue to explore too if you need to fatten up your loco's.

Am I missing something?

I plugged a TCS DP2X-UK straight into the socket.

Why use anything else?

Keith

I offered the body up after plugging in a TCS DP2X UK last night, but the decoder width is too wide to pass through the gap in the bottom of the boiler.

Do I need to try again are suggesting.???

It looked a complete non starter, but you have got me thinking....I shall give it another go.

Bob

• RMweb Premium

I offered the body up after plugging in a TCS DP2X UK last night, but the decoder width is too wide to pass through the gap in the bottom of the boiler.

Do I need to try again are suggesting.???

It looked a complete non starter, but you have got me thinking....I shall give it another go.

Bob

I think it was a bit tight but the body went back on with a bit of a wiggle as far as I can recall. Try offering it up at a slight angle so one side of the pcb goes in then the other.

I definitely got one inside my Crab!

The one loco I have where a weight needs to be removed and is designed to be is the Hall.

Keith

I think it was a bit tight but the body went back on with a bit of a wiggle as far as I can recall. Try offering it up at a slight angle so one side of the pcb goes in then the other.

I definitely got one inside my Crab!

The one loco I have where a weight needs to be removed and is designed to be is the Hall.

Keith

Hey Keith..........you were right...!!!!

Why did I think it wouldnt go I wonder, it fairly flew in, as you say, at an angle.

Thanks for pushing me that way.......its running round perfectly.

Cheers,..................Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Hey Keith..........you were right...!!!!

Why did I think it wouldnt go I wonder, it fairly flew in, as you say, at an angle.

Thanks for pushing me that way.......its running round perfectly.

Cheers,..................Bob.

A satisfactory conclusion then.

At first glance it does look too tight.

The problem I had was initially not finding the screw under the footplate and trying to force the body off. A quick call to Bachmann service pointed me in the right direction!

Keith

A satisfactory conclusion then.

At first glance it does look too tight.

The problem I had was initially not finding the screw under the footplate and trying to force the body off. A quick call to Bachmann service pointed me in the right direction!

Keith

Very Satisfactory indeed Keith.......Thanks.

Bob

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bit late so probably not helpful but i have chipped 32-178 LMS Black lined model of  2715. The DCC Concepts/Gaugemaster/Hattons derived chip fitted perfectly where the old DC circuit board was.