Railway Property Railings Help Please ?

Hello Everyone.

I am looking for information on the type & height of iron railings used on the tops of walls surrounding railway property, bridges etc in the steam & early diesel era in City & Suburban areas. I know the various companies used different patterns on railing in station areas but I’m sure that the type of railing used to top the walls surrounding railway property & on bridges were much simpler in design.

Also I am looking for possible suppliers of such railings in 4mm scale. I have done an extensive search & so far have come up with suppliers such as Scalelink & Mainly Trains. These suppliers seem to have a good supply of etched railings but I am unsure what type was used & what height they might have been.

I would be grateful for any suggestions or links.

Thank you.

You need to know the location and company for a lot of stuff. I'd strongly advise consulting prototype images of the area in question. Given few images you should be able to pick out some styles that are available and you can show would fit your model.

Some of them would certainly not have been "railway company" spec railings but for some older buildings probably still reasonably ornate with finials (pointy bits) and possibly scrollwork. As its post war there would also be chunks of stuff missing railings altogether (war effort) or fittted with "modern" (that is 50's modern) nasty railings or fences.

You need to know the location and company for a lot of stuff. I'd strongly advise consulting prototype images of the area in question. Given few images you should be able to pick out some styles that are available and you can show would fit your model.

Some of them would certainly not have been "railway company" spec railings but for some older buildings probably still reasonably ornate with finials (pointy bits) and possibly scrollwork. As its post war there would also be chunks of stuff missing railings altogether (war effort) or fittted with "modern" (that is 50's modern) nasty railings or fences.

Thanks for that.I'll try & check out particular companies. The reason I picked the era I did was because I didn't want anything too new if you know what I mean. I'll try & dig out some books and see if I can get any info there.

Cheers.

From the photo i would think that Scalelink "GWR spear-point railings" will probably be what you need - these can be found here:

http://www.scalelink...les_Portes.html

under product code SLF-029 (about half way down.

I love that top pic too :)

Hi Karl.

I've seen the ones you mention & I think my choice is Ratio,Scalelink & Mainly Trains. I don't think there are any others available. It looks like being the Ratio as with the etched brass ones the price quickly adds up if you need any great length & I think I need a lot :rolleyes:

That top photo is smashing isn't it. Great atmosphere in it.

Hi Tony

I would go for the ratio ones myself. The etched ones are too fine IMHO

HTH

Jim

Hi Jim.

I tend to agree with you. I have some of the Ratio & Scalelink ones here but I'm going to need a lot more. The etched brass is beautiful but very fragile.

Yes I would agree with Jim on this one, I did replace some of my fencing with etched bass ones, and they did look good.

But they are very fragile and bend if you look at them the wrong way, also the cost as I was going to replace all the fencing on my station with it ,but when I worked out how much it would cost I nearly fainted.

I would go for the ratio one’s if they do get knocked they would not cost an arm and a leg to replace.

All the best

Darren

Having done a lot of searching it seems that this is what I am looking for if anyone can help.

Cheers.

gwrls863.jpg

5471990265_4b35bc56d1_m-1.jpg

If that's what you're looking for you don't need to just rely on photos as a a lot of GWR spear point fencing is still in use. Round here Hanwell comes immediately to mind but that's only because I pass it quite often. There are relatively unmodernised stations all the way down down the GWR main line at least as far as Didcot and they almost all seem to have this type of fencing which often also appears around bridges, station approach roads and the sites of yards (often station car parks now). Railway property fencing wouldn't have been removed in the wartime scrap metal drives that took out so much domestic and decorative fencing simply because the railways have always been legally required to fence themselves off.

Yes I would agree with Jim on this one, I did replace some of my fencing with etched bass ones, and they did look good.

But they are very fragile and bend if you look at them the wrong way, also the cost as I was going to replace all the fencing on my station with it ,but when I worked out how much it would cost I nearly fainted.

I would go for the ratio one’s if they do get knocked they would not cost an arm and a leg to replace.

All the best

Darren

Thanks Darren. I have decided to go with the Ratio ones. I have a packet here & they look fine.

If that's what you're looking for you don't need to just rely on photos as a a lot of GWR spear point fencing is still in use. Round here Hanwell comes immediately to mind but that's only because I pass it quite often. There are relatively unmodernised stations all the way down down the GWR main line at least as far as Didcot and they almost all seem to have this type of fencing which often also appears around bridges, station approach roads and the sites of yards (often station car parks now). Railway property fencing wouldn't have been removed in the wartime scrap metal drives that took out so much domestic and decorative fencing simply because the railways have always been legally required to fence themselves off.

Sorry but photos are all I have as I don't live in the UK but not to worry as this type of railing is easily available from Ratio amongst others.

Cheers.

Archived