Ratio point control kit

Del

Having seen the Ratio signal control it in the latest Model Rail, I wondered if it could be used to control points. But then I found out they do a different point control kit.

It's very cheap (less than £3 per unit) and seems very simple to build and use. But is it quite robust?

Has anyone got any experiences of it, whether good or bad?

I see on the old RMWeb that smudgeloco was going to investigate it...

Hi Del, indeed I was. I did purchase a set, and took a good look at it. I thought it had some merit, but like you, I was concerned with-it's robustness. I also thought it had to many parts to "go wrong."

In fairness though, I did not test one in situ.

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always ask myself why do modellers waste money on things that just cost a little time & very little money to make?  Whilst the Ratio signal or point control kit 'does what it says on the tin', if you have a lot of polnts or signals to control, the £4.15 per unit soon adds up.

On my DCC layout 'Crewlisle' I have 29 live frog points (25 operated by standard Peco solenoids with no polarity switches or frog juicers) the other 4 operated by the method described below along with 5 multi-arm Ratio semaphore signals from the inside of the operating well.  All I use are lengths of 1.5mm steel rods bent as cranks to operate the individual arms or points from the underside of baseboards.  Pull/Push for the points as the ends go through the point tie bar; turn for the signals as there are small cranks soldered to the ends under the signals.  Wooden blocks or pieces of ply are glued to underside of baseboard as supports.

I also have a 7 doll gantry at the entrance to the terminus, but operated by 'big hand from the sky'!

I will be at Warley in November (fingers crossed).  Come across & have a close look how effective & simple it is.  And cheap!

Peter

• Informative/Useful 1