Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Top-heavy with modern image layouts. Why's that then?

sn

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully someone wil have a layout where all 10 Baby Deltic's run in the near future.;)

Er, surely this would be a fantasy layout - was there ever a time when all the real Baby Deltics were actually in working order ;) :D ?

Like a number of other people I have always felt that the main reason I model diesel locos is because they are the only railway traction I can remember.

After spending 3 hours this afternoon lining one side of a Black 5 in LMS livery I have now found another good reason why I don't model steam locos! :blink: :crazy_mini:

Certainly it frequently seems the case on here that somebody asks a question about locos and stock in a given area, but doesnt appear to have (nor be willing to buy) even the most basic library on the subject.

It's getting to the point of infringement of copyright with the number of questions that I have answered with quotations from volume 2A of the Green Book. Now I don't mind that as I have it to hand and know most of it by heart. Well at least I know where to look to find the answer fairly rapidly. What does bug me is those people who are obviously newcomers to the hobby but state that they wish to build a model of xyz on xx/xx/xxxx in P4 when they have absolutely no general background knowledge of railways and their workings. The phrase walk before you can run comes to mind.

As far as the phrase modern image goes I would not call an HST modern image. There might be a case for introducing the terms current and historical. I suppose it's a case of horses for courses. Nobody under thirty, judging from my daughter's friends, would refer to a two year old mobile phone as modern.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Another problem with exhibitions, magazines and Internet fora is that what doesn't interest you much stands out more than what does.

The average D&E modeller may well think that Railway Modeller has virtually nothing other than narrow gauge and light railways. I've heard at least one narrow gauge modeller say that there's not enough narrow gauge in RM!

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

It's not very often that I reply to threads of this genre but, I feel I must make some comments.

Cos blue diesels are the Masters of the Universe

Kettles are for makin a brew

*simples*

I'm quite disappointed at this type of post, It shows distinct discrimination and lack of tolerance for other peoples interests and views.

This kind of thing is happening more and more. I see at exhibitions D&E modellers wearing T shirts with "No Kettles" emblazoned across the front.

Yet I can't find any where on this forum or any other where D&E modellers are discriminated against.

This sort of attitude has almost made me stop posting on any of the forums I belong to with one exception and that is the YMR forum where there is no discrimination what so ever.

For me Good modelling is good modelling, regardless of motive power, gauge or type of layout etc.

I'm also very disappointed to hear that the internet apparently is only for use by the 30 somethings and that us old 'uns should not be surfing the web and have no understanding of modern technology!

What poppycock! I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

So, not only do we see discrimination against steam era modellers but also ageism in this wonderful hobby of ours.

I am 61 this year, old enough to remember steam and the disappointment it gave to me and most of my friends at the time when steam was withdrawn.

So just because I want to keep my memories alive please do not put me down and pour scorn on my thoughts and enthusiasm for steam era modelling.

It's not very often that I reply to threads of this genre but, I feel I must make some comments.

I'm quite disappointed at this type of post, It shows distinct discrimination and lack of tolerance for other peoples interests and views.

This kind of thing is happening more and more. I see at exhibitions D&E modellers wearing T shirts with "No Kettles" emblazoned across the front.

Yet I can't find any where on this forum or any other where D&E modellers are discriminated against.

This sort of attitude has almost made me stop posting on any of the forums I belong to with one exception and that is the YMR forum where there is no discrimination what so ever.

For me Good modelling is good modelling, regardless of motive power, gauge or type of layout etc.

I'm also very disappointed to hear that the internet apparently is only for use by the 30 somethings and that us old 'uns should not be surfing the web and have no understanding of modern technology!

What poppycock! I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

So, not only do we see discrimination against steam era modellers but also ageism in this wonderful hobby of ours.

I am 61 this year, old enough to remember steam and the disappointment it gave to me and most of my friends at the time when steam was withdrawn.

So just because I want to keep my memories alive please do not put me down and pour scorn on my thoughts and enthusiasm for steam era modelling.

I think it was said with humour in mind. I have seen plenty of anti-diesel postings by non- D+E modellers on rmweb. The terms 'diseasel' and 'kerosene can' have sprung up on several occasions during discussions in threads.

I think it was said with humour in mind. I have seen plenty of anti-diesel postings by non- D+E modellers on rmweb. The terms 'diseasel' and 'kerosene can' have sprung up on several occasions during discussions in threads.

Thanks BD, for that balanced comment with which I'd agree. Humourous or not, this topic is not going to turn into a steam v diesel argument.

Cheers.

I will chip in and say that I know Mickey was being intentionally humorous and mischievous; something he's exceptionally good at in real life too. I suppose that's the advantage I may have at times having met someone and know what they're like face to face and I can't expect everyone else to read into it the same way but in this case it's certainly not worth getting worked up over.

I take the view that people can and do model what they want; they really don't have to give reasons or explanations. Many though are clearly influenced by what is available RTR, and/or what might be arriving in the next set of announcements.

As has been said, an excellent model of (whatever) is still an excellent model, and worth looking at. Many of the techniques described on here are transferable to any era. I don't necessarily ignore a thread because it's about diesels or the LMS, or whatever. In fact it's rare that there isn't something of interest on here despite the fact that my personal preferences are for a minority subject in a minority scale. As to the jibes about 'kettles' and so on, they may well be intended as humour, but humour on the internet can often be taken the wrong way. I think we should try to be positive rather than sneering.

Gentlemen,

May I suggest that there have been many sensible, reasoned and constructive responses to this rather introspective thread, the OP has drawn out a number of rational comments which have reflected well upon the forum and have gone some way to illustrate the breadth of our diversity. Although some stereotypical comments have been put forward, the response has been broadly encouraging. My thanks to those who took part in order that we better understand ourselves.

DesA

• RMweb Gold

DEMU's No Kettles T shirts and mugs were done as a tongue in cheek joke several years ago when it was much rarer to see D&E layouts on the show circuit and in the press, and internet forums such as this didn't exist. Back then 'Paraffin can' and 'blue boxes' were commonly heard expressions. One of the objects of the society is to get wider exposure of 'our' era of modelling, that the feeling now expressed is that this forum is top-heavy with D&E subjects would suggest that we have been successful in our aim, though I am certainly not claiming that it is ALL because of DEMU.

Andi (DEMU Vice-chair)

• RMweb Gold

I don't give a stuff what your prototype preferences are - if your model has rails and is well modelled, then it is welcome on my bit of RMWeb. This thread has all the credibility of the religious arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin! Model what you like, and well, and be welcome! You can only add value.

• RMweb Gold

Attending a good number of shows, I've seen far fewer of those shirts over the past three or four years. Last one I definitely recall seeing was at Ally Pally two years ago.

I tend to see them more at gigs than exhibitions now, courtesy of Kalyr... (except for the box of them in the top of the wardrobe from when Mrs D was DEMU merch officer)

Andi

I get rude comments when I wear that t-shirt to gigs; usually from a certain Mr Bartlett of this forum.

You can spot in on Mostly Autumn's "That Night In Leamington" DVD if you look carefully. No connection at all with the quote used as the tagline on my blog ;)

Interesting Debate!

Being 35, I'm far too young to remember steam on the main line in the UK in normal traffic... but thanks to being brought up 'properly' by an enthusiastic Dad have memories of real industrial steam, as well as real steam abroad, as well as BR diesels of all sorts. I've even built a 'modern image', well, 1990's chinese steam depot in HO scale... but my main modelling interest at the moment is 1950's ireland, broad and narrow gauge, and the key point with this is that you can model experiences and prototypes you never saw - and bring them to life!, you don't have to stick to your memories from your youth, although many people do clearly.

I'd agree that my perception is that it's generally younger modellers who contribute to the forum, as generally (making a massive assumption!), it's the younger generation who are happier using and contributing to the interweb...

Regards

Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Myself i am too young to remember steam as i'm 25 but happily model it and take a real interest and much to the confusion of fellow rail related friends they can't understand why i'm not into the present day scene.

I suppose i did get taken to steam railways when i was younger and also remember first seeing a rebuilt bullied pacific hauling a train at the wimbledon depot open day, as well as that one that was laid up outside Brighton stn for years.

In my modelling interests i model the BR southern region which was my home area till a few years ago, industrial railways which there wasn't anything like that where i lived in south london unless you go to croydon, naturally London Transport but again before i was born but the oddest was BR Great Eastern region about 6 years ago as i used to work for Nattional Express rail replacement and they used to send me to work at most of those stations which i sort of got the flavour of the area and got a interest in modelling the past which one result is i proudly have my D16/3 waiting to haul its first train at some point, got to get round to finishing my buckjumper though.

On a different note, i have a bit of interest in buses (not as much as railways which some people find hard to believe!) and the buses i have a interest in and own are fairly modern and from london, youngest is only 17 years old (look to left), the oldest i grew up with was routemasters and driven/conducted them, all the others was metrobuses and olympians and darts.

• RMweb Gold

Any sort of forum is only as good as its contributors, when I joined this one all those years ago I was dissapointed that there was precious little representation of layouts representing Scotland, Cumbria, Durham or generally any further North than the bottom end of Yorkshire.

Things have come on in leaps and bounds since then, there are all sorts of layouts, I think if anyone in particular shows an unwillingness to join in it says more about them than the forum!

To add my comments-:

• I have almost reached the big five zero however I do not really remember day to day steam in this country.
  • I am usually dissapointed at most exhibitions I attend by the relative lack of large layouts depicting eras from BR Blue TOPS through to the current scene. Very few indeed with overhead electrification. Maybe I'll get to DEMU this year.
  • Looking at the various Hornby and Bachmann 2011 threads I personally found there was post after post relating to obscure and geographically restricted pre nationalisation (even pre grouping) steam locomotives before finally stumbling upon 'one or two' relating to the D&E era (however that is defined). In this respect did I recently notice an item on Pat Hammond's site in respect to how many of the main outstanding steam locomotive types are likely to ever reach reach RTR status? If some one could please advise on this. I've seen several comments suggesting pre nationalisation sales are now in general decline. Is this true?
  • Find BRM and Hornby Magazine particlularly steam orientated. Railway Modeller has been better of late but for me it is still mainly Model Rail and Rail Express (Modeller).
  • Found that most of the gentleman at a club in Central London are still more steam orientated, are more of the DEMU brigade in the Midlands and up north???

Archived