Any 80s Hornby Wagon Experts?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

I picked up a boxed 7 plank wagon recently for a couple of ££. 1980s style box.

Hornby R012 "R BODELL" WHS it says on the end label.

I have tried Googling and only come up with a couple on sale on Ebay. (Of course everything on Ebay is very rare and super collectable.)

Is it some sort of promo item for WH Smiths? Or was it like the Pugh wagons where you got it free when you bought an engine?

Anyone?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

If I recall correctly it was a WHSmiths promo back in the day when you could actually buy decent stuff in there, exclusive to them.

Rare it is not, there were thousands and thousands of them, in fact if I remember there were actually more of these 'limited edition' wagons than many standard catalogue runs! Everyone had one in the 1980's, it was enshrined in law you know... :D

A few quid is about the going rate for what is basically a decent enough if elderly generic open wagon so you got a good deal there.

• RMweb Premium

Only 19000? The Pugh wagon was not for purchase, and was intended to be given out with every new engine purchased - they made 120 000 of them. Did Hornby really expect to sell 120 000 engines in a year?

Only 19000? The Pugh wagon was not for purchase, and was intended to be given out with every new engine purchased - they made 120 000 of them. Did Hornby really expect to sell 120 000 engines in a year?

They did not sell 120,000 as they were avaible to buy the year later!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Were they sold in the usual "red windowed boxes" or were they sold in the small white box that the give-aways came in?

Archived