Mendip industrials

It's a fairly standard TH Vanguard 0-6-0DH - we do have a 4mm kit for this loco.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

Thanks Michael!

Doing a bit more digging, it looks like it might be DH50-1 from Westbury cement works? Looking for supporting evidence.

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like 120 has a smaller if any silencer fitted compared to the yeoman one. Does it still have a Nathan 3 tone horn?

As far as I can tell it's a straight through exhaust. The horn is just a two tone, both blowing together. 

Both switchers still have operative bells, too

Jo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks Michael!

Doing a bit more digging, it looks like it might be DH50-1 from Westbury cement works? Looking for supporting evidence.

Guy

Your reference to "DH50-1" is the LH/Hunslet nomenclature for  the ex Llandarcy/EVR ones they rebuilt for Cardiff. From the date on the Quarry Faces website ('c.1990')  I would guess that it is 261V which was a hire loco when I left Thomas Hills at the end of 1988 (they were taken over by RFS in 1989). I don't think the Westbury loco ever left there till the works closed. (But you have my smpathies. I've seen some woefully inaccurate captions on Flickr claiming that Hills built 2 0-6-0s for Westbury in 1971 and that these are the locos (re)built by Hunslet for Celsa. Twaddle. We built one, 278V, which was nearly complete when I joined TH in April 1978).

Pete Briddon

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 11/10/2016 at 22:26, Boscarne said:

The IRS South West book agrees that the 0-6-0 Thomas Hill is TH 261 V of 1976. The dates given for it's hire spell at Whatley are 7/6/1987 until 9/7/1988.

Clive.

Interesting Clive - I went July 1987 and it was working - I’ll dig out my pictures Paul 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go - 261 at Whatley in July 1987 - Im fairly sure that Pride of Whatley arrived by October that year - it was certainly working when I went back to Whatley in 1988, late October. Both my photos/copyright. Paul 

IMG_1101.JPG

PICT1167.JPG

• Like 4

You are very welcome Guy. I worked for the railway (still do); and had a real interest in wagon types. The 1980s saw large scale use of PGA 4 wheel hopper wagons for aggregate including ex salt carrying PGAs. The early to

mid 80s started seeing (new) bogie stone hoppers appearing at both Whatley and Merehead. In the 1988 shot of Pride of Whtley youll see a bogie hopper (TOPS code PHA?) which carried Tarmac related aggrgate.  Paul 

• 2 months later...

There's a bit more work to do on both of these (mostly weathering) but I couldn't resist putting up a couple of photos as part of the current Yeoman 'takeover' on Whatley.

Guy

IMG_7864.jpg

IMG_7866.jpg

Edited by lyneux
Restored Pics
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1