Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

Hi all

welcome to the opening of the Bachmann announcement guesswork thread, I have cleared it with Andy and would like to know your thought's and reasons behind what's coming this sunday.

Will it be a year of consolidation or will Bachmann plough ahead with even more surprises than last year?

For me I hope the feedback from last year has inspired more 25Kv announcements even before their first models of the class 85 and EMU have hit the shops.

Please keep it civil and interesting rather than just a wishlist.

thanks

mark

(I believe the announcement is 6th march lunchtime)

Well, last year I did hear that Bachmann had built kits of a Derby Lightweight and 104 dmu's; that just leaves the 104 to be announced then?

An 84xxx from a revamped 412xx 2-6-2T maybe?

And as they like doing the middle-sized black locos, perhaps a Claud , J15.....do hope sp, they are popular locos.

Nearest I'll get to a wish-list, just positive thinking!

Stewart

Guest Max Stafford

I believe it's one of the next two weekends.

With precious little left in the loco department, I reckon any post-steam action will be on the railcar front, diesel and electric and I suspect more locomotive action in the 25Kv department. As a rank outsider, possibly an NBL class 15.

Steam-wise, a biggish NE goods loco or a K1, a medium-sized LMS tank and just possibly a J15 for the Swedey fans.

I doubt if I'll see anything Scottish this year but I still have plenty kits to build.

• RMweb Premium

A K1 or J27 would be a good mover IMO, plus an 84xxx as mentioned above and a 77xxx would just about finish off the BR standards.

One thing I have never understood is the lack of Mk2 TSOs, after the inital batch which now fetch silly money secondhand. Surely the would be a staple of the range much like the Mk 1's ?

Regards

Simon

Guest LNER Tom

As has been said really on what would be nice to see. From my perspective (shameful I know) a K1 would be very nice would certainly make my year!, or J21 or J27....something for the Scottish modellers of Caley origin or J37?

Roll on next Sunday :)

I don't think we will see as many announcements as pervious years - the GWR ROD and Blue Pullman have put paid to that.

I think they will announce a BR Std 2-6-0 as it will be a simple development of the Ivatt 2mt. DIesel followers will see another DMU most likely a 2nd gen to go with the 150 (156 maybe) but no electrics as the 85 is not out yet and they will wait on that for sales to justify any more.

Coaches I am going to bet ok more mk;2's and wagons a long shot will be the Consett Iron ore wagons - perhaps with a 9f to match.

• RMweb Gold

I still contend that, given the plethora of Southern passenger locomotive classes we have had over the last few years, albeit mainly from the 'other side', surely it would make commercial sense to upgrade the Bulleid coaches to modern standards?

Said it last year and was wrong, so if I keep going ultimately I might get it right, then again the world may have ended! D11, would tie in nicely with the O4, GCR version for the NRM, near the top of the wishlists so it's a no brainer really. Chances of being right, well off my track record, slim, very slim!

• RMweb Gold

I do not know what would be likely for the steam era and the following are guesses for 00.

All I can think of on the diesel front is a 59.

Another 1st generation DMU would be a possibility but I am not sure which one. Probably something that can reuse the internal mechanisms from some of the existing ones.

Another EMU will probably be announced next year given that the EPB is not out yet. A class 73 is an outside bet given that there seems be a 3rd rail market out there and the 73 on the market is ex Lima and a bit long in the tooth.

I do not think we will get another 25k electric until after the 85 is out and dependent on how it sells.

Coaches: Mk 2D/E/F but only maybe. More in hope than expectation.

Wagons: Something for the 59 if they announce it, PTA?, big if. After that, a Polybulk and maybe an older container wagon.

Duplication: I suspect we wont get another Brighton Belle, one is quite enough. 101 DMU would be my duplication guess if it happens.

More 47s varieties seem very likely. 37/7s maybe.

Finally, maybe more track plant machinery.

There is already lot in the pipeline. The Blue Pullman was originally not supposed to be announced until now so maybe there will be less than usual. Last year I was pleasantly surprised and (from a personal point of view) over the last few years there has been abundantly more to get excited about than in the December announcement from Hornby. Given the problems all the manufactures seem to be having in the supply line, no matter what is announced, we will have to wait.

Bearing in mind that I am starting to see quality difference between Bachmann and Hornby steam (Latest example is the parting line on the ROD vs. the Hornby A$'s that have no visible parting line) I am starting to wonder if Bachmann may be backing off steam (leaving that to Hornby) and focusing on diesel and electric locos and stock. Accordingly I do not expect to see much in new steam.

Archived