Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

a year or two of ... a reigning back of ambition, which is essentailly what we have got with Hornby

[Bachmann] have grabbed a big area in BP (and a big piece of work and investment), so thats one major announcement already made.

I don't disagree with much of your post, but I'm stuggling to reconcile these two statements: Bachmann producing the BP is a big piece of work and investment, but Hornby producing the Brighton Belle is symptomatic of a reigning back of ambition?

What about Hornby announcing a brand-new set of Grouping-era suburban coaches? That doesn't strike me as representing a lack of ambition at all -- it's a major, long-term investment that opens up a whole new set of options to cack-handed people like me, on top of no fewer than four brand-new fleets of Grouping coaching stock. In the same period that Hornby will have produced five sets of coaches, Bachmann will have produced just one new fleet, the Mk2s.

In steam, Hornby's brand-new B17 isn't even in the shops yet, and they've already announced a brand-new B1.

This is not to bash Bachmann: I am loving my new 105s and looking forward to the EPBs (and to Sunday's announcement). But I'm not sure either of the big two is showing a lack of ambition at the moment.

Paul

The reference to the S&DJR 2-8-0 No.53808 having a hybrid tender puzzles me. When was this? This loco is shown on Ivo Peters Volume One ~ 1950-1954 album with large boiler and the small boiler as fitted circa January 1954. At no stage did it have anything other than a standard Fowler 3.500 gallon tender.

Preservation I think Larry - had the hybrid tender, not in service, but in preservation. Hence why the tender would be incorrect for a "blue" version of 88.

Correct me if I am wrong, fellas! :)

Thanks for the clarification on Tenders. I wonder where preservationists obtained the hybrid tender? Or did they build it or at least part of it? I also wonder if this is linked to the Compound 1000, whose own tender was found to be in very poor condition and so a S&DJR tender was acquired (which is retains to this day). Is the chassis of the preserved hybrid Tender off said Compound?

Thanks for the clarification on Tenders. I wonder where preservationists obtained the hybrid tender? Or did they build it or at least part of it? I also wonder if this is linked to the Compound 1000, whose own tender was found to be in very poor condition and so a S&DJR tender was acquired (which is retains to this day). Is the chassis of the preserved hybrid Tender off said Compound?

It has I think, deeley frames and a fowler tank? It has been mentioned somewhere else in this thread. Would the deeley frames not be more correct for the compound, or am I missing the point...?

Hi Andy

Will announcement be after midnight sat night or during Sunday?

thanks

Hugh

Usually, Bachmann put the information on their Website around Mid-Day on the 1st. day of the show so that the information is not released to the Public before the first tranche of their dealers visiting the show have seen the new releases.

Guest Max Stafford

Another possible easy one for Bachmann would be a long firebox version of the Jubilee. The current variant is of pretty limited use for anyone modelling north of Manchester.

Dave.

It has I think, deeley frames and a fowler tank? It has been mentioned somewhere else in this thread. Would the deeley frames not be more correct for the compound, or am I missing the point...?

The MR Compound is a Deeley rebuild and ran with a Deeley tender until acquiring a hybrid, with which she was withdrawn in 1951. As she was scheduled for preservation, a true Deeley tender off 4-4-0 No.1024 was fitted and thats how she languished for some six years. When restoration commenced the tender was found to be unservicable so she was given a tender of 1914 vintage off a S&DJR 2-8-0. The S&DJR tender had similar frames but a sightly different shape to the crescents at the top of the tank & coal space. Now wy BR didnt build a new tank for preservation is anyones guess, but they didnt.

Seeing as preservationists had acquired a hybrid with Deeley frames and Fowler tank, my initial thought was where did this come from seeing as the 'hybrids' went in the early fifties. Then I wondered if the discarded MR tender off the Compound was acquired by the owners of the S&DJR 2-8-0 and they built a new tank or fitted a Fowler tank to the Deeley frames?

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it as Deeley tender bodies wore out the frames in many cases were still good so Fowler bodies were attached to the frames. I have seen several photos of compounds with this variety of tender so would be correct for some compounds. 1000 had a Deeley tender until its withdrawl, but when that was found to be in poor condition the tender of 53804 was found to be in better condition so that was taken for the compound.

From a 7f perspective there are quite a number of varients of Deeley/ Deeley frames and Fowler top (without access doors, Fowler tender flush rivets/ fowler tender with rivets visible / Fowler tender with access doors/ without access doors.

Now the interesting development would be a Deeley tender - NRM Compound anyone?

If this is really a question of what we think Bachmann may announce rather than what we are hoping for then the Original Fowler Royal Scot seems an obvious thing but seems to have slipped under the radar. There are other things I'd rather see but that is not the point is it? All I ask for is a nicely diverse 2011 catalogue that indicates that all is well on the investment front.

Roy P

That's a thought- as you say, it's one that seems to have disappeared under the radar- it's been a stalwart of the Bachmann range from the start, there's a bit of scope for variations (smoke deflectors, Fowler & Stanier tenders), and a few years back Bachmann said they were planning to re-do all of the LMS 4-6-0s in their range, only for Hornby to release the Rebuilt Scot & Patriot. Since then Bachmann have done the Jubilee and original Pat, so I wouldn't be that surprised to see them finish the job with a Parallel-boilered Scot before too long...

Im usually so wrong on these prediction type things, but for a bit of fun here are my thoughts.

Given the current economic situation (which I believe will get worse before it gets better) I think that we may well see a year or two of battening down the hatches and a reigning back of ambition, which is essentailly what we have got with Hornby, so I cant see Bachmann being very different. Yes if they want to be bold they could be and grab big chunks of Hornby territory, but I cant see that happening this Sunday.

Steam

I predict a few easy wins, at low cost - the 78xxx BR standard, perhaps a rechassis of the Ivatt 2MT on the back of this, and again a good number of new liveries (Tornado BR green), perhaps some loco tender combo changes (Stanier tender Jubilee in LMS red). All these will pep up sales at very low investment.

There will be at least one new steam loco however, whilst another 0-6-0 will be welcome I think that may be next year after the sales of the 3F have been assessed (similar argument for a new 25Kv electric loco - 2012 for that announcement). Playing it safe then good bets would be those locos that poll highly in wish lists, and two spring to mind, a big GW tank, and a King. Both will sell well as the GW has been rather neglected in recent years.

Other

There may well be third party collobarations in the offing, USA Tank with Kernow for example, Director with the NRM, I can see both of these fitting nicely.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 78xxx or Ivatt tank either, and some low-cost opportunities to ring the changes, such as the Stanier-tendered Jube you mentioned would make sense.

That NRM Director seems to be a bit of a recurring theme whenever the subject of future Bachmann products or NRM specials comes up on RMWeb...Butler-Henderson was always one of my favourite preserved locos during it's time at Loughborough, so a Bachmann version would be almost as welcome as the NRM announcing a return to steam for the original...

• RMweb Gold

I think you may be right with the 78xxx, it's more likely now that I've seen the boiler off the 82xxx tank, there's a dirty great groove down the side where they slide the tanks on so it's not such a straight forward job as using the boiler with the 76xxx chassis and cab to make a 77xxx.

A simple new body and tender moulding on the existing Ivatt class 2 now makes more sense (unless the tool for the 82xxx boiler was made with inserts in the first place ......)

I've been resisting replying to this thread but I've finally given in...

High quality air-conditioned mk2 coaches are a gaping hole in 4mm scale thats begging to be filled... but I think we all know this. It would certainly help drive sales of the existing mk2s and locomotives if they were to become available.

The Mk1 sleepers that others have mentioned also sound like a possibility, but given how well modelzones TPO seems to have sold I wouldn't be suprised to see some of the later diagram TPO sorting/stowage vans.

As someone else mentioned he SPA wagon would nicely complement the existing/forthcoming range of air braked wagons, and the SEA variation could easily be produced by the addition of an extra moulding or two.

Polybulks would be a very good seller I expect, though there are quite a variety to choose from, I would have thought the shorter 1974/5 built type would be a safe bet.

My leftfield choice when it comes to wagons would be a VTG type F2 ferryvan (dia e.481) though as that would complement heljans cargowaggon nicely, though IZA-twin cargowaggons could also be an outside option.

I think we will almost certainly see the 450 at some point, but possibly not quite yet...

At an outside chance, given bachmanns experience with Mk1 coaches, I think we might get a 4-Cig next and then possibly a refurbished CEP after that.

I don't know a lot about Steam locos but I'd personally love to see a J15, it would complement the Cravens and Derby lightweight DMUs (as well as other manufacturers products) nicely for those who wanted to model East Anglian branches in the transition era.

• RMweb Gold

As reflected in the preceding posts my feeling is that there will be far more 'N' gauge releases than 'OO'.

Makes sense. There isn't a lot still to come in the Farish range that we haven't seen ep samples for, the 2MT being the only thing I think.

I think we'll see a class 70 and A1, initially Tornado followed by originals later. Other possibilities could be a new Class 40 to match the retooled OO version and a new A4 since the old one seems to have been out of the range for a while now.

Of course I stand to be very corrected!!

Tom.

When the LNER took on the J15's they were the most prolific loco in their stock.

Of course we all know that 0-6-0's were the workhorse on the real thing in Britain and sadly that is lacking amongst the R-t-R manufacturers........

Best, Pete.

(In reply to Lord Summerisle's post)

• RMweb Premium

A Greene King, please.

Certainly! Abbot Ale or IPA?

Seriously, a S15 would be rather nice AND I've nearly finished my DJH kit so it's about time.......

Makes sense. There isn't a lot still to come in the Farish range that we haven't seen ep samples for, the 2MT being the only thing I think.

I think we'll see a class 70 and A1, initially Tornado followed by originals later. Other possibilities could be a new Class 40 to match the retooled OO version and a new A4 since the old one seems to have been out of the range for a while now.

Of course I stand to be very corrected!!

Tom.

And of course, if they manage the 2MT, then a Fowler tender should be relatively easy (surely) My feeling is that, if Dapol can manage the 3500 Gallon GWR (no, I can't remember whether it's Collett or Churchward) tender, and Farish can manage a BR2 tender...

Of course, as to what we'd see with a Fowler Tender behind it... I'm guessing it would be an updated version of something out there already. So, 4F or Crab? Outside chance of unrebuilt Patriot or Royal Scot?

I'm thinking a Farish S&D 2-8-0 may be coming. N scale 4 Ceps emus together with Southern pacifics to today's standards wouldn't actually go amiss. Then again, neither would a modern Class 33.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Long time reader of wish lists, but a first time poster in one. Not sure how I feel now I have taken the plunge. Anyway....

For me, to save my fingers and my sanity, an N gauge 5 plank clay wagon with hood options would be my wish as I am currently trying to figure out how to make a hood for myself.

We shall see.

On the subject of things Bachmann could easily do for minimum investment but which would fill a niche: match wagons utilising the Conflat and the lowfit wagons. Maybe even package one of each together in appropriate livery as match wagons in a similar way that they released some years ago the boxed pair of Conflats (37-980). I'll take a flying stab at its catalogue number being 37-981.

Another possible easy one for Bachmann would be a long firebox version of the Jubilee. The current variant is of pretty limited use for anyone modelling north of Manchester.

Dave.

I'd second,third and fourth that....but a remark made to me by a trader and their ready availability from the main box-shifters suggest that the current examples haven't exactly been flying off the shelves. So Bachmann,unfortunately,might not be rushing to please us. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.

DR

• RMweb Premium

Prognostication time again. Rather than follow logic this time I thought I'd indulge in wild speculation; much more entertaining and on past performance at trying to guess what's coming up just as likely to be right.

First of all there's the surprise of the day when it's announced that Bachmann will be entering the British outline RTR narrow gauge market with a range of 009 models, carefully chosen for their colonial as well as home potential. The usual pundits have been blindsided by this news but the realisation slowly dawns that it's less of a niche market than the Blue Pullman. It seems to be a case of small is beautiful with the follow up announcement that industrial prototypes will also be coming to the fore this year. Sods law dictates that in OO it's the Ruston 88DS for the diesel age (just announced by Chivers) that partners a Manning Wardle 0-6-0 for the steam fans. N gauge versions to appear early next year. Again seemingly crazy choices but ones that could appear in railway company and industrial guises. Sicking with the theme of industry, chaldron wagons and contractors tippers are the new stock releases while the Scenecraft range expand to cover dockside and nautical themes with modular warehouses and ready to plonk boats.

Hi,

Would it be too harsh to hope that Bachmann introduce further 50's goods wagons- a good SR banana van would be very welcome as would a really good model of the long wheelbase horsebox (like the old Hornby-Dublo)

I cannot understand (but neither am Ii complaining) why Bachmann have such a good taste in producing goods stock that I cannot resist and always hope that another masterpiece is released.

DesA

I predict a Standard 3 tender loco!! I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet. With Standard classes been much travelled, I think it could be well up Bachmann's list of possibles.

Something different that I think will sell well, most layouts could use one, a good little industrial loco. Something like the one to the left of post.;)

Archived