Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

I predict a Standard 3 tender loco!! I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet. With Standard classes been much travelled, I think it could be well up Bachmann's list of possibles.

Let me guess, you didnt realize the Class 3's were synonymous with the North East and Scotland.:)

.. But if no other manufacturer steps in with a new model, and considering that Hornby is still producing a number of models from 1960s/70s tooling, I for one don't want to see the Limby Class 101 still the only one on the market 10 years or more from now.

I dont think it will be, but I dont think its time has come quite yet ( I could be wrong though, this is punditry not clairvoyance). That said, it's difficult to judge what will happen in ten years; it may be that the first gen DMU market reaches a natural saturation, especially if the current nascent interest in all things AC and DC gathers momentum

As for a large part of Hornby's range consisting of hoary old tooling, well, that's another debate entirely. I dont much like it either and there are far worse examples than the 101, but basically, it's what they do; you might as well ask a dog not to barksmile.gif

But if we keep buying the existing model, then Hornby will understandably have little incentive to do so ... Reintroduction of the Limby models in Hornby's main range (rather than as Railroad items) and our acceptance of them surely makes it less likely that they will be upgraded or replaced and, I would contend, means we are less likely to see, or have to wait much longer for, the innovation found on some European models. This is what I meant by being 'held back'.

Ah, the old 'blood on the hands' theorywink.gif Realistically, neither posts from 'us' on this forum nor that infamous editorial (nor Electricnose, for that matter) will have sufficient influence to prevent the wider market buying these items

I think you may have missed my point. ... to please us both, I would like RTR models to be highly detailed (to please me) and so not need to be chopped about (to please him). ...

I hope you and others can now see where I am coming from, even if you don't necessarily agree. :)

That's fair enough, I do see your point, even if I think it's ultimately unrealisticsmile.gif

Coo, what a lot of debate about dmus...

Well, it's a big subject, and one worth demystifying :)

.Which leaves the 104. Contrary to what some have been posting, they did cover a wider area than Manchester and Tyneside over their lives,

I think that's a bit of a misquote; Andrew (Brushman) mentioned Buxton only, and I widened the scope to most of the southern/central LMR and the ER/NER. Thanks for filling in the blanks on the later periods thoughgood_mini.gif

Would it be too harsh to hope that Bachmann introduce further 50's goods wagons- a good SR banana van would be very welcome as would a really good model of the long wheelbase horsebox (like the old Hornby-Dublo)

I dont think there's much doubt that traditional wagons will continue to feature. Horseboxes are an up and coming area and the BR one is the obvious one to do RTR; the SR banana van is just too offbeat IMO, especially as it's unlikely to sell in quantity and would need a (virtually) unique chassis

Polybulks would be a very good seller I expect, though there are quite a variety to choose from, I would have thought the shorter 1974/5 built type would be a safe bet.

Mmm, dunno. My money would be on the 1980s types, with tooling to accommodate both Grainflow and SMD variants. Assuming one was coming, of coursesecret_mini.gif

Bachmann will be entering the British outline RTR narrow gauge market with a range of 009 models, [including] a Manning Wardle 0-6-0 for the steam fans. It seems to be a case of small is beautiful with the follow up announcement that industrial prototypes will also be coming to the fore this year.

Sticking with the theme of industry, chaldron wagons and contractors tippers are the new stock releases while the Scenecraft range expand to cover dockside and nautical themes with modular warehouses and ready to plonk boats.

Fun post Neil.

009 and industrial 0-4-0STs would attract a lot of interest. I believe all these ideas would turn out to be commercially successful, and while they are wildly speculative, they're not silly at all. I only omitted the Rushton diesel out of prejudice. (It's a good idea too.) With RTR Manning Wardles in Maunsell green, I could see Lynton & Barnstaple layouts reach the 'oh no, not again' pinnacle of the GWR BLT. They would be completely irresistable.

• RMweb Premium

Let me guess, you didnt realize the Class 3's were synonymous with the North East and Scotland.:)

Well one did escape!! 77014 was loaned to the Southern Region for a railtour and for some reason they never asked for it back again so it stayed around for a year or two, managed to become the very last operational loco on BR(S) metals at the end, pity that unlike a lot of last locos on the Southern it wasn't preserved.

• RMweb Gold

I predict a Standard 3 tender loco!! I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet.

Oh yes we have ...

I did a few posts back, but as I said, with the slotted boiler Bachmann have prod=uced for the class 3 tank it would probably mean a new boiler tool - for a class that was mainly allocated to Scotland. The class 2 tender engine is a far better bet for Bachmann

Oh yes we have ...

I did a few posts back, but as I said, with the slotted boiler Bachmann have prod=uced for the class 3 tank it would probably mean a new boiler tool - for a class that was mainly allocated to Scotland. The class 2 tender engine is a far better bet for Bachmann

And I did a few posts before you!

Can't understand why you think it would be less likely than the 78xxx, don't forget that would need a new tender, new cab and footplate, against just a new boiler and footplate(is the boiler and cab a seperate moulding on all Bachmann loco's? I've never checked). They could also do 77005 which had a different chimney.

Also not quite as parochial as you might think, you have to include the Leeds, York and Humberside areas as well as the geographical North East. And they were well documented on the Stainmore route, so you could even include the North West as their operational area. 77011 actually ended its days at Northwich.

• RMweb Gold

to be honest, either would open my wallet as they are both missing from my collection, OK I have an aged Hornby class 2 bought to convert, but to be honest the work involved (especially the over long tender) means that an RTR would appeal.

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of some scale 00 track? - Or maybe some working lower quadrant GWR signals.

Otherwise I could stick to some GWR coaches!! - anyway, only a few days until the announcement and it will all be over for another year!

Regards,

Any chance of some scale 00 track? - Or maybe some working lower quadrant GWR signals.

Otherwise I could stick to some GWR coaches!!

I can't imagine Bachmann Branch Line doing 00 track when their mothership does the "EZ Track" system; or signals for that matter.

This train-set component is the closest thing Bachmann does for signals.

If I were wishlisting, I'd line up behind you with lower quadrant GWR signals and additional GWR coaches. I'd be happy with the existing Collett coaches in an early Collett livery (not shirt-button) rather than the present Hawksworth offering.

I'm hopeing the Bachmann haven't started doing a retooled B1, as it will just be a duplicate waste, just like the Std4. Keeping my fingers crossed for any ex GCR locos, J11, A5, B7, Q4, C13/14, D10/11 etc...Not much chance I'll grant you, but I can always hope!

It seems there is a fine line between what the OP asked forand pure wish lists, but the ongoing debate has been interesting. I believe weshould remember that in the context of Bachmann’s plans for the next couple ofyears (along with those of the other principle players) we are to some extentspeculating on the future direction of British outline R-T-R modelling.

Whether or not we are prepared to “bash†a current modelinto something better or build a kit of something otherwise unavailable islargely irrelevant to this debate. After all, this is all about what Bachmann believethey can sell us.

Setting my own preferences aside, I look at how the recentDMU / EMU models seemed to have awakened interest in more of the same andwonder if, to some small degree, we are being told the future of the r-t-rmarket and a look at a Kato catalogue may give us a clue.

If we were to speculate on Bachmann’s (and the others)output over the next five or so years (not here of course) and then consider (bepractical …and honest!) this years pending announcements in this context, wouldit change what we might expect or indeed wish for? I would never have guessedfive years ago that we would be looking Bachmann versions of Deltic, Super Ds,S&D 7Fs, City of Truro, LMS twins, Thumper units, Desiros, Blue Pullman, EPBs,Carforth coaling tower and the platform buildings from Harrow on the Hill!. Onecan only wish that the next five years are as interesting as the last and thatthis years’ catalogue is a step in that direction.

Roy P

I've had a flash of the future....not! A non NRM city class obviously in GWR livery, and obviously not CoT, and for the NRM, a GCR liveried Butler Henderson, or possiably Lode Star. (That opens up quite a few future possiabilites). How high was a GWR 52xx/72xx on the wish list poll some time ago? Bachmann have not done too much GWR of late, I think that might stand a fair chance if it rated highly.

Not that long ago alot of talk was made about the D15/16 Claud Hamiltons, although it seems to have gone very quiet of late. It would make a start at filling a very neglected area of the country for RTR models.

Umm been thinking again. What about a sound fitted SuperD... It is one they have set up for it but never released!

AS others have mentioned it could be a year of NER... a J27 would just about guarantee me staying in OO!

• RMweb Premium

especially if the current nascent interest in all things AC and DC gathers momentum

Now that did set me thinking... Models have already been produced with working pantographs that work off a live overhead system, so how about a working third rail system for all the DC units, including all-new OO track pre-fitted with a conductor rail... B)

I've had a flash of the future....not! A non NRM city class obviously in GWR livery, and obviously not CoT, and for the NRM, a GCR liveried Butler Henderson, or possibly Lode Star. (That opens up quite a few future possiabilites). How high was a GWR 52xx/72xx on the wish list poll some time ago? Bachmann have not done too much GWR of late, I think that might stand a fair chance if it rated highly.

Not that long ago alot of talk was made about the D15/16 Claud Hamiltons, although it seems to have gone very quiet of late. It would make a start at filling a very neglected area of the country for RTR models.

Butler Henderson ? A good collectors model, particularly if marketed through the preserved example, but is it that popular ?

Got a name which is regarded as a selling plus point.

The Dukedog would probably be a higher priority to me were I a manufacturer. It has the "Cambrian Coast" appeal, although they were popular in some other areas (possibly excepting the S&D ?). The Dukedog transcends eras in carrying GWR and BR liveries.

Am I right in thinking that the GWR eight coupled tanks have a rather long and spread out wheelbase ? Would the reason they haven't yet been produced RTR is because they would struggle with trainset curves ?

I guess at a 323.

And I know why! Charlie

Are both the cab ends identical Charlie ? The manufacturer won't want to produce three different bodyshells

• RMweb Gold

Otherwise I could stick to some GWR coaches!! - anyway, only a few days until the announcement and it will all be over for another year!

Regards,

Whaddya mean 'next year' - there are, as I trype, only 295 days to go until the next Hornby announcement 'for next year' (unles they change the day of release)tongue.gif

...Am I right in thinking that the GWR eight coupled tanks have a rather long and spread out wheelbase ? Would the reason they haven't yet been produced RTR is because they would struggle with trainset curves ...

The 2-8-2T is something of a sprawling beast, similar length overall and wheelbase to the largest UK pacifics, loco only. The coupled wheelbase must be similar to that of the 9F. So they should be within the scope of present manufacturing technique to go around set track radius curves (even if they grunt a little), and the end overhang can be managed by close coupling mechanisms extending the bogie and coupler mount on these curves. The question would revolve around any fixed parts which needed modification or repositioning to enable the swing out of wheelsets on curves. I can imagine it all getting very tight around the front end in particular, the leading driver crankpin on the inside of the curve ready to bind on the crosshead or connecting rod: on this loco any excess swing out cannot be 'dumped' at the cab end by the expedient of an unflanged trailing pony truck, as it needs to track the curves for coupling purposes. So that probably means the cylinders bumped well outboard from scale position, but that very technique employed on Hornby's 9F doesn't seem to overly hurt perceptions of it.

• RMweb Gold

I have followed this thread but admit have not studied every post so apologies if this has already been mentioned but: with Bachmanns stated policy of making in N what they already make in OO, what are the chances of the reverse happening and a range of Stanier coaches being made in OO? At the right price I reckon these would sell by the boat load!

• RMweb Gold

Can't understand why you think it would be less likely than the 78xxx, don't forget that would need a new tender, new cab and footplate, against just a new boiler and footplate(is the boiler and cab a seperate moulding on all Bachmann loco's? I've never checked).

There were many more 78xxxs than 77xxxs, however, and they were also more widespread, and some WR 78xxx also had green livery.

Butler Henderson ? A good collectors model, particularly if marketed through the preserved example, but is it that popular ?

Got a name which is regarded as a selling plus point.

The Dukedog would probably be a higher priority to me were I a manufacturer. It has the "Cambrian Coast" appeal, although they were popular in some other areas (possibly excepting the S&D ?). The Dukedog transcends eras in carrying GWR and BR liveries.

As a mainstream Bachmann release, I'd be surprised to see a D11 specifically as B-Henderson,in preserved GCR livery- other than as a Collectors Club release, with the main versions in the catalogue being in LNER & BR liveries. The 'Director' is a class that seems to have turned up fairly often in these discussions on RMWeb (IIRC wasn't it one of the classes that were nominated as 'most-wanted' at the conclusion of the LNER loco thread a year or so back?), so there seems to be some support for the idea on here at least.

As a possible NRM limited edition, I can definitely see your point- it's maybe not the best-known of the NRM collection, although it did spend a long time (1975-92, and in steam for the last 10 years of that) out at Loughborough and is probably well-remembered by those who visited the GCR.

Given that it was away from York for a good proportion of the NRM's ownership, I don't recall it doing any main-line work in preservation, or running anywhere much other than Loughborough, then yes, unless you've seen it there, at the NRM, or remember it at Clapham in the 60s/early 70's, it's maybe not the most high-profile loco in preservation.

Against that, it would make a nice pair with the recent NRM release of the O4 in GCR livery, and the full GCR passenger livery should make for a fairly spectacular model given the quality of livery printing the manufacturers can achieve these days (http://farm3.static...._3673a73222.jpg ) It also wore BR black for a while in preservation, so there's a second possible version for the NRM just keeping to the preserved guises of the loco... http://farm5.static...._c971e361ac.jpg

I suppose future NRM Bachmann commissions are slightly off-topic, as they're not likely to be announced this weekend, but if not B-H, then maybe the Midland Compound, Lode Star, or one of the singles (either the GNR Stirling, or the Midland one) might be worth a punt?

I can definitely see the appeal of the Dukedog- very useful for GWR/WR modellers, and 'Earl of Berkeley' probably has a higher-profile in preservation than Butler-Henderson in recent years, particularly as it's been a visitor to a number of other lines

Compared with the cost of developing new locos, it's got to make sense to have a look at what can be done with the existing 2251.

Adding an ROD tender is mostly just a matter of attaching the GCR tender from the O2.

Slightly more ambitious would be to add pannier tanks, cab and coal bunker to make a 94xx.

Archived