Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

• RMweb Premium

.......If I were wishlisting, I'd line up behind you with lower quadrant GWR signals and additional GWR coaches. I'd be happy with the existing Collett coaches in an early Collett livery (not shirt-button) rather than the present Hawksworth offering.

However, some variety with GWR coaching stock would alos be good. After all these models have been around for donkeys years!

Whaddya mean 'next year' - there are, as I trype, only 295 days to go until the next Hornby announcement 'for next year' (unles they change the day of release)tongue.gif

True of course!

Oh to have a crystal ball and see what is being planned for the next 5 years or so. - I suspect this year from Bachmann will be a quiet year (they have loads of models in the pipeline already). Listening to the Sunday Times economist during the week, he reckons we will be out of recession next year. After which "normal" trading conditaions might return! I guess the problem will become (very soon maybe) that there are no new models to produce.

Sorry if I am asking a stupid question but how standard are the 304/305/302/308 emus. I mean in terms of body/under frame as obviously cab bends are nit the same

The thinking being that surely any manufacturer wants ti get the most from tooling and if they can use common elements then the case is stronger.

I would love a Clacton unit but it is surely too unique to be a runner whereas earlier posts about 313/314/315/507 PEP style units would as would I guess 310/312's (or again is that an ignorant assumption!)

If someone has the knowledge I would love to see a table grouping various units together to show what units are "similar" and that may well indicate what is more likely to be produced. [ actually just found the wiki page that does that to some extent]

As you may have guessed ER EMU's would be my wish but I don't see it happening

And I would prefer to see new MU's rather than a revised Cl101 but thats because having grown up on Lima models my standards are perhaps lower than some - what I

Colin

I suppose future NRM Bachmann commissions are slightly off-topic, as they're not likely to be announced this weekend, but if not B-H, then maybe the Midland Compound, Lode Star, or one of the singles (either the GNR Stirling, or the Midland one) might be worth a punt?

I can definitely see the appeal of the Dukedog- very useful for GWR/WR modellers, and 'Earl of Berkeley' probably has a higher-profile in preservation than Butler-Henderson in recent years, particularly as it's been a visitor to a number of other lines

Assuming that the NRM continues their relationship with Bachmann Branch Line (and interestingly, Hornby does not have a new locomotive designated "NRM" in their 2011 range) it will be interesting to see their choice around Christmas.

If I were a betting man, the odds feel better to me for a D11, D16 or GNR Stirling Single, though I'd personally prefer Lode Star. What happens with the City tooling is an interesting question. I've seen two schools of thought here:

• 1. Bachmann Branch Line offers a City in their main range (probably 2012)
    2. They leverage their knowledge of outside framed locomotives to do a Dukedog

Milking the City tooling for a couple more running numbers seems to be the more cost effective outcome to me, notwithstanding the fact that once the demand for City of Truro is sated (as I expect it is now) Cities aren't the highest thing on the 'must have' list, even for ardent (is there another kind?) GWR fans.

I wonder if there would be sufficient demand for the NRM to consider a 'race to the north' two pack of a GNR Stirling Single 4-2-2 and an LNWR Improved Precedent/Jumbo 2-4-0. Obviously tooling costs would be high for such an offering and would be priced at a premium. Perhaps irrationally, I probably wouldn't purchase either of them by themselves, but would consider them together, because together they have a self-fulfilling meaning - a bit like a 'golden spike' set of CP "Jupiter" and UP No. 119 in the US; which, by themselves are less interesting.

Milking the City tooling for a couple more running numbers seems to be the more cost effective outcome to me, notwithstanding the fact that once the demand for City of Truro is sated (as I expect it is now) Cities aren't the highest thing on the 'must have' list, even for ardent (is there another kind?) GWR fans.

NRM shop seem to have two versions still for sale, so I'd guess that the vast majority of those who wanted one, have one already. Looks like they learned their lesson from the DP1 models. Do we know how many CoTs have been made for the NRM, and were they a joint effort or entirly financed by the NRM? (sorry to digress off the topic!)

I wonder if there would be sufficient demand for the NRM to consider a 'race to the north' two pack of a GNR Stirling Single 4-2-2 and an LNWR Improved Precedent/Jumbo 2-4-0. Obviously tooling costs would be high for such an offering and would be priced at a premium. Perhaps irrationally, I probably wouldn't purchase either of them by themselves, but would consider them together, because together they have a self-fulfilling meaning - a bit like a 'golden spike' set of CP "Jupiter" and UP No. 119 in the US; which, by themselves are less interesting.

How about an unheard of Bachmann - Hornby joint venture record breakers pack? "CoT, Flying, Mallard" just for the NRM? :blink:

Hello all,

just heard this down the grape vine, that Bachmann are to announce that all new loco and stock will be available with EM wheel sets as standard (00 will still be available), and that they are to start making ready to lay EM track next year.

OzzyO.

Guest Max Stafford

Have I mentioned that I would like a J15?

I think a K1 is likely because I have made one.

Using a very similar logic, I confidently predict a J27, J36 and 439...! :lol:

Dave.

just heard this down the grape vine, that Bachmann are to announce that all new loco and stock will be available with EM wheel sets as standard (00 will still be available), and that they are to start making ready to lay EM track next year.

Is this alongside the DCC ready flying pigs?

My guess is that a Farish 4 Cep will be announced ( the interest in the OO model should ensure this ;o))), so that a 2 Epb can follow.....

Gerry

Oh I do hope so! Another EMU that Bachmann could do in both 'N' and 'OO', with a minimum of new tooling, would be the 455/9s. One of the 150/2 driving coach's body is exactly the same as the 455/9 driving coaches (and 455/7 for that matter). The centre coaches are two rear halves of the 150 driving coaches. The bogies are, I think, the same just the third rail shoes need to be added where appropriate. The powered chassis in both scales would be able to handle a four coach unit. The only new part is the underframes and on three of the four coaches there isn't much.

David

Using a very similar logic, I confidently predict a J27, J36 and 439...! :lol:

Dave.

I swore I wasn't going to join in this thread, and apologies if I've missed it, but on the basis that four (4) of us to my certain knowledge are currently honing Highland Baby Sulzers through disparate - and desperate - routes, we'll get D5116 in BFYE and D5114 in GSYP, with 25001 as a spin-off.... tongue.gif

I still maintain last years Bachmann 7F project was infiltrated, which is why we got a small-class district-restricted 2-8-0 instead of a 190-strong all-LMS 0-8-0...

Lets us hope no more hyjacking takes place this year and that we get the Fowler Class 3 2-6-2T we have all asked for instead of the short-life Riddles BR Class 2...! ;)

Compared with the cost of developing new locos, it's got to make sense to have a look at what can be done with the existing 2251.

Adding an ROD tender is mostly just a matter of attaching the GCR tender from the O2.

Slightly more ambitious would be to add pannier tanks, cab and coal bunker to make a 94xx.

And changing the wheels. (4' 7 1/2" instead of 5' 2")

With regards to a Dukedog/Earl, Bachmann have the chassis (Truro is same wheel spacing, Bogie (Truro), and tender (Manor/mogul). The development investment is limited to loco body, driving wheels, painting tooling and packaging etc.

If they do not produce one now I suggest they never will. (and if they do they can then move on to produce Bulldogs and Dukes if they feel the market is there)

With regards to Director, a couple of years ago, when I picked up my NRM Deltic, The office staff were canvassing for interest in Butler Henderson as the next limited edition.

Mike Wiltshire

If 'Butler Henderson' is produced, I hope two reversing rods are also produced; the straight type that Henderson retained to the end and the curved ended type as generally fitted to other members of the class after the change to long travel valvegear.

I was fortunate to stand on the preserved loco soon after its restoration in 1961. Pity it didnt receive a reconditioned boiler at the time as it has denied later generations from hearing a working D11 pulling away from a stop.....what a noise, and THAT whistle too.

I wonder if there would be sufficient demand for the NRM to consider a 'race to the north' two pack of a GNR Stirling Single 4-2-2 and an LNWR Improved Precedent/Jumbo 2-4-0.

I like the idea of the Stirling Single as a.) it use to be part of the Kitmaster range (I think) and b.) supposedly somebody has been measuring it up...

Just because it's been measured doesn't mean it will happen but not having been measured makes it unlikely...

Luke

• RMweb Premium

I'll be watching any NRM announcement this year as they've brought out a completely new loco every two years: in 2007, it was the prototype Deltic and in 2009, City of Truro, and in between announced exclusive livery variations, last year it was the O4 in GCR lined black.

I don't know how long their exclusivity sales agreement with Bachmann lasts, but certainly with the Rail Express 37/5 versions, it's been two years.

My prediction like many of us for November/December this year is the Director, but I would be very pleased if they brought out a J17 as they've haven't modelled any freight or mixed traffic locos yet.

• RMweb Gold

I guess at a 323.

And I know why! Charlie

Would the reason why be anything to do with a.n.other company having a 323 in the pipeline and concerned about their matches getting a little damp?

Andi

Is this alongside the DCC ready flying pigs?

well they do have a 4MT in there range.

OzzyO.

PS. sorry about posting the 4MT bit I did it before reading the following posts.

But my grape vine is good.

I like the idea of the Stirling Single as a.) it use to be part of the Kitmaster range (I think) and b.) supposedly somebody has been measuring it up...

Just because it's been measured doesn't mean it will happen but not having been measured makes it unlikely...

Luke

Stirling single is an interesting thought as Bachmann already produce it in the form of Emily in the US Thomas range. (check link below if you have not already seen it) Limited development investment required to produce a detailed model.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1583

Mike Wiltshire

Id go for....

Q6, K1 for steam

Retooled 40 for diesel

and a class 156 for the unit

Coaching stock, the Air Con Mk 2s

And for a wagon, a 21T!!

As I said the 40 will be next year.

OzzyO.

Archived