Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

Well I WON'T be expecting a new B1. the amount of complaining that came with Hornby's announcement (despite the Bachmann one being routed in the 70's) will put anyone off duplicatiing and existing model. Especially one that's just been announced by a rival.

What would be good, and is badly needed, is new steam shunters of any flavour. The chassis on the new 03 shows how to do it and hopefully Bachmann will build on this and provide badly needed models for three of the big four.

For "big" models there's a gap with 4-4-0 models, maybe as previously suggested the Dukedog's for GWR, though the others have suitable examples too.

Bringing it more modern, I e-mailed Bachmann soon after the 350 was announced and asked about SWT 3rd rail versions and got told that it wasn't likely, though this isn't to say they've changed their minds on that. I do think a class 104 would be a good choice as it's not too far a step from there to the class 110. Bachmann have a good track record on the 1st generation DMU's so hopefully that will continue.

• RMweb Premium

coaching Stock

How about some pre WW2 parcel vans/ full brakes particularly suitable for parcel and milk trains, which seem few and far between, ones that would have lasted through a variety of liveries and could appear mixed up with other companies stock

GWR from the Churchward era

LMS Stanier full panelled dia? a nice one appeared in a photo of Pendon in Model Rail recently

LNER a Gresley full panelled

Otherwise

Southern Region Bulleid BCK centre toilet the one Bulleid Bachmann coach they should have made and didnt!

GW Toplights a much more useful and long lived range of coaches than the Hawksworths

Possible Locos

Air smoothed MN would be good or a WC/ B of B that looked like the prototype unlike the Hornby effort

47xx would look impressive

Early series GWR railcar car no 5 -17 would be interesting (not the angular Swindon one ex Lima)

Dean or Armstrong goods

Saint when the GW Society project comes to fruition

Stanier 2-6-0

Ex Midland Compound 4-4-0

Claughton (large boilered) 4-6-0

Another ex LNWR Jumbo or Whitworth class 2-4-0

P2 like as likely as a De Glehn :)

Replacements for:

43xx more useful than the Manor that can wait

County class 4-6-0- Hornby one needs retiring

Lord Nelson looks tired

V2 again looking out of place compared to the rest of the range

• RMweb Gold

The manor hasn't been in the range for a couple of years I think so it may have been quietly dropped for a new one for 2011/12.

I think (or maybe hope) that something will be done to celebrate 50 years of the Deltics, a two tone green one, and a tarted up blue one perhaps?

With heavy freight locos being in fashion with Bachmann I go along with the people thinking that a Q6 and or a LNER 0-6-0 could be on the cards. I'm pretty certain that we'll see some more 04s & SDJR 2-8-0s been announced.

More 'big 4' era wagons will probably be announced following the LNER wagons

For some reason I'd like to see an 'Aberdare' in the range but I think that a rtr model of S&D (The proper one! :P) Locomotion No.1 is more likely.

Please keep it ... interesting rather than just a wishlist.

And we saidlaugh.gif:

would be nice to see.

would be nice.

I am hoping to see

I'm hoping for

Ive been asking for the same three every year:

I would like to see

I've been asking for

I'd like to see

I'd really love to see

But I'd really like

I'd like to see

I hope

would be very nice.

would be nice too

would be nice,

would be nicer

would be nice

It would be nice if

would be nice

would be nice.

What I would like to see

I would like to see

would be nice

would be nice

Personally, I'd quite like to see

What I would like see

would also be good -

Id love an

I'd like to see

would be nice...).

would be nice,

I'd like to see

would be good

would be nice

would be very nice.

My BR(WR) wish list

I'd like to see

would be nice,

I'd like to see

would be nice.

personally I would be very pleased with

I too would like to see

I would also like to see

would be nice.

What would be good,

No bias BTW, there's one of mine in therewink.gif

Don't think we'll see much, good possibilties in my opinion are:

Engines

Class 40 Re-tool (certain)

Class 20 Re-tool (with lights etc)

O2 Class 2-8-0 Heavy Freight would compliment the O4 and other Eastern engines

Q6 0-6-0

NBL 0-4-0 Shunter, small shunter is lacking in the RTR market.

Wagons

Breakdown Crane - Highly detailed fully working (possibly DCC) Steam crane from the late 50's early 60's

Covhop

21 Ton Coal Hoppers

Coke Hoppers

Scenecraft

Gasometers

Engine Repair shop

Modular Buildings

6 road engine shed

I wish:

Class 16

Class 23 Original version

We'll see.

True, Ed.

Even more unlikely though are the whole generations of EMU's OHLE covering suburban services in England since 1948 from a line drawn through the Thames north. Probably as many bums on seats as any other form of rail transport in the UK.

Best, Pete.

Hi all

I'd like to see the Prototype Deltic in the main 4mm range, missed the NRM one.

ian

I second that. The artwork/scans may well be owned by the NRM, but surely the NRM would like it back in their shop as well.

Were we not promised a DCC Sound version at some point, or did I blink and miss that too?

I sold my standard issue NRM Deltic to a friend a couple of years back when I 'paused' from OO modelling, I wish I could buy one now, but the Ebay prices are eye watering, which is surprising given that there must be several thousand out there now.

Well, I know what I'd like to see, but what I'd like to see and what I'm expecting are two different things altogether.

Talking 'bout N gauge here...

I'd expect an LNER pacific. I'd prefer it to be an A3 or A4, but I expect it's going to be Tornado. An improved V2 would be nice, but is unlikely.

I'd expect maybe an 8F - if only because it still uses the Stanier tender and we had a black 5 last year. Oh, and the Ivatt 4MT would be nice too. Wonderfully ugly little engine.

I'd expect some sort of BR standard. Ideally a 4MT tank engine, but more likely either the 4-6-0 version of the 4MT or else the 5MT...

I'm not expecting any GWR locos or SR locos. But a 47xx would be nice. As would a retooled (insert pannier tank class here. Oh, and insert prairie class here too)

Stock wise... Not sure. Maybe some more of the Mk1s. I doubt we'll get any of the non-57' Staniers, and as for LNER, GWR, or SR coaches... no chance.

I'm not an expert on wagons I'm afraid.

• RMweb Premium

Even more unlikely though are the whole generations of EMU's OHLE covering suburban services in England since 1948 from a line drawn through the Thames north. Probably as many bums on seats as any other form of rail transport in the UK.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Pete,

Rob

I'd expect some sort of BR standard. Ideally a 4MT tank engine, but more likely either the 4-6-0 version of the 4MT or else the 5MT...

I inherited my Dad's N gauge stuff including his class 4 standard tank. Bearing in mind my recent thread about realism in N gauge loco's I thought it wasn't too bad.

Ed

4mm scale GWR Toplights would be nice, but they are a RTR manufacturer's nightmare. Lots of small batches with endless detail differences. 57' and 70' lengths, panelled or plain, some with toplights, some without, different bogies and underframes, rebuilds of ambulance coaches... the list goes on.

Sorry guy's and gals.........

For all those who want Air-Con Mk2 coaches, I have been reminded of a conversation that I personally had with an individual at the Ally Pally show a few years ago, when I asked politely if we could have some Air-Con Mk2's please ?

Admittedly, I didn't realise how different the tooling requirement would be to produce these, but the gentleman told me in no uncertain terms that "you'll have to buy the Hornby ones" !

The same gentleman wasn't so dissmissive however when the Class 59 was mentioned, he just looked away sheepishly. This was a couple of years ago now........

I'm not hopeful for the Mk2's.........unless Bachmann have a different outlook now ?

Dave

Without going too off topic is there any more news on the Murphy Models ones? (In reference to the snippet I picked up in 'Model Rail' over a year ago suggesting BR versions (FO and TSO at least) may follow.)

So far we only seem to have seen the generator and catering versions, there seems to have been a general consensus on the incorrect window size.

Although directly commisioned by Murphy Models are these being produced in the Kader factory?

The thread I started http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/11127-murphys-models-air-cons-mk2de-br-versions/ has been very quiet lately.

• RMweb Gold

a 6400 OR 7400 Pannier would be nice,

Certainly on my list (but weren't there tales from the 'other side' that one was coming) or even a 16xx would be welcome.

along with some GWR Coaching Stock

Some nice proper Collett bow ended 57/70 footers.

And one that seems to have dropped of these lists recently is one of the BR standard Horse boxes.

• RMweb Gold

Without going too off topic is there any more news on the Murphy Models ones? (In reference to the snippet I picked up in 'Model Rail' over a year ago suggesting BR versions (FO and TSO at least) may follow.)

So far we only seem to have seen the generator and catering versions, there seems to have been a general consensus on the incorrect window size.

Although directly commisioned by Murphy Models are these being produced in the Kader factory?

The thread I started http://www.rmweb.co....de-br-versions/ has been very quiet lately.

No more Murphys Mark II's have been released since the initial two. I am hoping the delay is down to adjustments being made based on mistakes which were noted on the initial releases but somehow I doubt it. Its been announced that the next batch will be with us soon. I still think a Bachmann Mark IId/e/f would be a much better proposition though!

As for my own guesstimate, I reckon Fowler 4F, Class 59 and 101 DMU, the orignal hoppers that the autoballasters were based on (sorry, cant remember the TOPS code) and one of the older freightliner flats.

Suddenly, a thought occurred to me this morning.

Thompson A2/3. Would be a decent, logical addition to the stable of ex-LNER pacifics they are building up. Especially given they do now have the 6ft 2in wheelset for one...?

As much as I'd like an A2/3 I can't see it happening to be honest - the prototype was unliked. Only last year the A2 came out I doubt that the A2/3 or a pacific would make an appearance so quickly.

As much as I'd like an A2/3 I can't see it happening to be honest - the prototype was unliked. Only last year the A2 came out I doubt that the A2/3 or a pacific would make an appearance so quickly.

This is the one thing that has always puzzled me about LNER modellers. How can anyone say they model a typical East Coast mainline without them? I saw one enter Kings X station within minutes of arriving on my first visit in 1960. And they are plentiful on cine footage even though the cameraman had tried to avoid them just as they did with diesels.

This is the one thing that has always puzzled me about LNER modellers. How can anyone say they model a typical East Coast mainline without them? I saw one enter Kings X station within minutes of arriving on my first visit in 1960. And they are plentiful on cine footage even though the cameraman had tried to avoid them just as they did with diesels.

I don't think you can model any part of the ex-LNER lines without one from A2/1, A2/2 and/or A2/3 hanging around somewhere. They really are to some extent the "lost" express classes of the ex-LNER. Most of the express locomotives in the LMS, GWR and SR have been done in various forms RTR (excepting the original Merchant Navys, of course), but missing out the Thompson Pacifics entirely is rewriting history to a degree.

I do think the "don't like them" to be something of an excuse - all the top layouts based on the ECML have a Thompson pacific or two, surely - if we're talking Hornby logic - the appeal is being apple green and named...!

But what do I know, I'm biased - I like all of the Thompson Pacifics, even Great Northern...!

*retreats to safety of Copley Hill's bunker.

I can never understand why they have not produced Motorail wagons, as they already make the coaches which many of the wagons used, then we could trundle some of those lovely model cars round our tracks.

Those wagons were also used for delivery of cars and vans in freight trains and even rail owned vans like this http://www.derbysulzers.com/25225staustell79.jpg .

Archived