Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

This is the one thing that has always puzzled me about LNER modellers. How can anyone say they model a typical East Coast mainline without them? I saw one enter Kings X station within minutes of arriving on my first visit in 1960. And they are plentiful on cine footage even though the cameraman had tried to avoid them just as they did with diesels.

I would say simply that a fair few of us still model the grouping period predominantly, or at least yearn for those halcyon days. Also, when it comes to a choice between outsiders, between say, an apple green Gresley P2, or a Brunswick green Thompson A2/3, which one would do you instinctively feel has the most impulse purchase potential…

This is the one thing that has always puzzled me about LNER modellers. How can anyone say they model a typical East Coast mainline without them? I saw one enter Kings X station within minutes of arriving on my first visit in 1960. And they are plentiful on cine footage even though the cameraman had tried to avoid them just as they did with diesels.

I completely agree. My DJH Hycilla went together very well. and will soon be joined with another djh Thompson in the form of an A2/2. My hope s for 2011 though is a V2 and further mk1's.

I don't think you can model any part of the ex-LNER lines without one from A2/1, A2/2 and/or A2/3 hanging around somewhere.

My ex-M&GN/ex-LNER/BR(ER) lines around South Lynn are managing just fine without any of them (or, indeed, any Pacifics at all. Alas).

Now if you were referring to a Claud Hamilton...

Paul

My ex-M&GN/ex-LNER/BR(ER) lines around South Lynn are managing just fine without any of them (or, indeed, any Pacifics at all. Alas).

Now if you were referring to a Claud Hamilton...

Paul

Fair point Paul, well played! :)

Now a D16/3? Gets my vote, will it appear? You never know - but I think we'd have to wait for Hornby to do it, along with a retooled B12/3...

Will anyone do a Claud Hamilton? Not a hope! Along with just about everything LNER apart from the standard classes, their locos were just too parochial. Before jumping in with my size tens, I took a quick look at my old 1958 edition of 'Observers Book of Locomotives', which informed linesiders where to find the locos listed. The NER locos were exclusively in the NE, GER on the GE, GNR on the GN and so on. Markets are too small for mass producers unless they are done as limited editions with a premium price.

LMS is much better off and I would guess that just about any loco would have a much wider appeal as they could be found off home ground. Even the lowly Fowler 3MT 2-6-2T could be found in North Wales, the North East and Scotland.

I don't think you can model any part of the ex-LNER lines without one from A2/1, A2/2 and/or A2/3 hanging around somewhere. They really are to some extent the "lost" express classes of the ex-LNER. Most of the express locomotives in the LMS, GWR and SR have been done in various forms RTR (excepting the original Merchant Navys, of course), but missing out the Thompson Pacifics entirely is rewriting history to a degree.

I do think the "don't like them" to be something of an excuse - all the top layouts based on the ECML have a Thompson pacific or two, surely - if we're talking Hornby logic - the appeal is being apple green and named...!

But what do I know, I'm biased - I like all of the Thompson Pacifics, even Great Northern...!

*retreats to safety of Copley Hill's bunker.

Poor, deluded boy!:rolleyes::laugh_mini:

I would say simply that a fair few of us still model the grouping period predominantly, or at least yearn for those halcyon days. Also, when it comes to a choice between outsiders, between say, an apple green Gresley P2, or a Brunswick green Thompson A2/3, which one would do you instinctively feel has the most impulse purchase potential…

Well, I'd much rather have a P2... I'd forgotten about them. I'm not sure whether I'd rather have an unrebuilt version (without the A4 styling) and accept having to repaint it, or just take the later version... Or would I rather have a P1? :)

I don't think you can model any part of the ex-LNER lines without one from A2/1, A2/2 and/or A2/3 hanging around somewhere.
Well, I'd much rather have a P2... I'd forgotten about them. I'm not sure whether I'd rather have an unrebuilt version (without the A4 styling) and accept having to repaint it, or just take the later version... Or would I rather have a P1? :)

Two different approaches there.....The modeller who think of a period and accuracy, and the collector who buys anything that's pretty!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Pete,

Rob

You can tell I lived at the station before yours (coming from London)!

Apart from that coachman is spot on about the parochial nature of most LNER/Eastern locomotives.

Best, Pete.

Great to see so many requests for LNER/BR classes with lots asking for a K1 which would be great if it happened. Some more Thompsons with perhaps Restaurant 1st (Dia 354)& 2nd (Dia 350)& maybe some suburbans. With regards a revamped B1 or V2 I remember speaking to Graham Hubbard at Warley two years ago & asked if he had any plans on updating the split chassis locos to the latest type (DCC Ready) to which he said no way! too busy with new models to revamp any of the old ones. Guess I'll be buying the Hornby B1 as soon as its available.

cheers

silverlink

• RMweb Premium

Will anyone do a Claud Hamilton? Not a hope! Along with just about everything LNER apart from the standard classes, their locos were just too parochial. Before jumping in with my size tens, I took a quick look at my old 1958 edition of 'Observers Book of Locomotives', which informed linesiders where to find the locos listed. The NER locos were exclusively in the NE, GER on the GE, GNR on the GN and so on. Markets are too small for mass producers unless they are done as limited editions with a premium price.

LMS is much better off and I would guess that just about any loco would have a much wider appeal as they could be found off home ground. Even the lowly Fowler 3MT 2-6-2T could be found in North Wales, the North East and Scotland.

But if you had looked not many years earlier Larry, you would have found a number of D16's on the Cheshire Lines :D We also had some at Lincoln in 1957/8, and they worked the Midland line to Nottingham and Derby Midland. Also, having seen the success of the S&D 2.8.0, it seems that there are many people out there who will buy something provided that it is suitably attractive/iconic. I don't think there are enough people modelling the S&D to account for the sales of a loco that must be one of the most geographically restricted you could possibly find, so there must be other factors in play.

The other thing with the D16 is that there are so many variations that can be produced. Loads of scope for limited editions within the framework of the basic model. Some in LNER green as late as 1951 for example. Anyway, I gave Simon Kohler a lot of information about them a year or so ago, so we shall have to wait and see. I must say I don't expect to see one short term, but I wouldn't rule a D16 out completely.

• RMweb Premium

I think the trouble is the number of variants within a numerically small class Larry. The Peppercorn A2 was always the most likely, and we duly got that very recently, so I can't see Bachmann going down a similar route for a while yet. If you analyse the possibilities you get:-

A2/1- only four of them, three always in Scotland, and significantly different from any others.

A2/2 - only 6, different tenders, different cabs, hardly any two alike.

IMO only A2/3 is even remotely likely. There were 15 of them, and although again there were detail differences, not so many. When all other big green locos have been done, I can see it happening. Though not if those who think that all LNER pacifics "look the same" have their way. :angry:

• RMweb Gold

"Apart from that coachman is spot on about the parochial nature of most LNER/Eastern locomotives".

Most is probably accurate, although B1s seem to have got about. However I would site the 04/ROD as an engine that can legitimately be used all over the place - the LNWR and the L&Y both had some (and the LSWR for a short period?) and they ran in Scotland, France, the Middle East, China and Australia as well as the GWR, and LNER. Parochial?. Come to think of it how many GWR or SR designs went that far? Directors ran in Scotland of course.

Being an N gauge man I would love to see any of ROD, K3, J39, V2, V1/3 D11 (or D10 my personal fave) or a J11. AN A3/4 to the new standard is almost inevitable at some point. Upgrades of most of the ex-LMS and GWR locos will surely follow in good time and they must have all the standards in mind? WD in N? Yes please! Thompson coaches would be nice? And the LNER wagons in N.

Cheers

Alastair

Im with bubbles2 on the motorail wagon, i even suggested it to a local rail shop for a Ltd ed as quite easy to do.....

Good call! I too think the CAR [is that right?] long overdue - just think of all the hacking and alterations we can do to them... Owenrail, you posted some fab pictures of car trains from the 70s in the Thames valley a while ago did you not? Half a mile of MG Midgets, VW campers etc.

I also think a proper big steam crane is long overdue.

Guest Belgian

my emphasis

Hornby Q1?

A delightful model well up to modern standards, but apparently not a great seller (Hornby didn't produce at least one version that appeared in their catalogue -- presumably when earlier versions failed to sell in the quantities expected?).

Hornby has been (unfairly) criticised a couple of times in the last few months for not producing a single 0-6-0 to modern standards. It's interesting how often the Q1 appears to be overlooked.

I'm pleased to see the Q1 reappearing in the latest catalogue after a break: let's hope this time all of us who cry out for more 0-6-0s actually buy them (mine's on order).

Paul

Good point - I always forget the Q1, despite the fact that I have great affection for them. Perhaps it's because they are "big" engines and nothing like the traditional view of an 0-6-0!

JE

Guest Belgian

I love threads like these, as I find there are also others out there who think like me. Ie A Cl450 not yet, but it will come! (Bachmann collectors club or another 512 run with a boxpusher).

I am not sure this year to be excited or realistic. The Hornby announcement I think has taught us a lot. Will Bachmann see a real commercial opportunity and push massively ahead to gain a larger market share. As Hornby pretty much announced on Christmas Day that they are not willing to push strongly (I personally found the announcement very disappointing) due to the economic situation. Or shall Bachmann feel the same, there are only so many new models people can afford and due to the economic forecast their consultants have told them to focus on commercial sense and not wow announcements, as we have been very wow by Bachmann for the last few years.

Thus I have thought hard about my expected announcements, Ill try to briefly reason.

New Tooling:

*Cl 185 Desiro. I think this is the model to look out for, now they have the desiro tooling, a diesel desiro is a clear evolution. It has scope to fit into numerous layouts. That I think makes it commercially viable. I mean hey, I live down in Hampshire, yet ill have one!

*Cl 172. Yes perhaps a year early! But I think this is where a new model tooling is at. They have the Cl 170 tooling, they have the Cl 220 Bogies. Its going to happen. We all expect it to be in the 2012 catalogue don’t we (London Overground and Chiltren). But wouldn’t it be amazing in the 2011!

*Freightliner FTA/FSA. These flats are everywhere. Personally these really do stand out as the wagon to watch out for. Dapol have the FEAs and KTAs, Realtrackmodels have the FLAs and Hornby have the KFAs. I would say there are a lot of modellers out there requesting these flatbeds. And I do think Bachmann does have people out there on the market floor, seeing how hotly their competition sells their wagons and containers. Actually more so, I bet they are aware how much demand their previous Maersk 20ft containers attract on ebay. Lastly, Bachmanns FIA? Flats sell hotly, but are not suitable to there extensive range of Freightliner Cl 66 and 70s.

*Lastly. I don’t know much about Track side/maintenance vehicles. But there is a massive excitement over the up coming MPVs and Tampers. This area of modelling could be the new market, as Steam, Diesel and MU is filling up fast!

Re-liveries: I personally think this is where the excitement lies this year. Based on ebay popularity of sold out models I can see the following being announced, along with new liveries appearing in the past months.

*Cl 37 in Direct Rail Services

*Cl 66 in Fastline, Colas and 66731 in Europorte GB Railfrieght.

*Cl 150 in First Great Western and Northern. (Though I would be the happiest man in the world if I could have a Wessex)

*Cl 158 in First Great Western “Local Lines†and Scotrail “satireâ€.

*Cl 159 in SWT, Yes! I know these were slow sellers, but I would be shocked if Bachmann hasn’t noticed these have been selling for £200 on ebay recently!

*Cl 171 in Southern. Both Modelzone limited editions sold quickly and now fetch £130 plus on ebay. Like with the limited edition runs of the FirstScotRail Cl 158s, after a year or so of them being sold out, the livery entered the catalogue. I predict the Cl 171 will appear. (Plus I emailed Modelzone about another run, they have been surprisingly mysterious in responses)

*JJA Autoballasters. Wow hot cakes huh! I see another catalogue run of these models in unliveried Network Rail and in Yellow Network Rail.

I can think up of a number of other models I would love to see, but I shall avoid pure sepuclation as I do not have as much evident from research of the market. But I really do want to be wowed again this year. I think Bachmann can serious leave Hornby in their wake.

Ok ill say it. Id love an Electostar! (wouldn’t it be a score over Hornby!)

Don't you think they'll do any steam?

I wonder where we'd be if people had said Hornby will never produce 'Flying Scotsman' A1 and A3 Pacifics because detail differences were rife....four boilers, five tender types, LH and RH drive, tall cab, cut down cab, round dome and banjo dome, single chimney, double chimney, smokebox deflector plates, German style deflector plates...I've probably missed some things but you get the general picture.

It has been shown that it isn't beyond the wit of Hornby to produce the numerous variations by designing the Gresley A1/A3 to take modification. They could do the same with the Thompson A2/2 and A2/3....different cabs, tenders, boilers..........You name it, Hornby can do it! :yahoo_mini:

Or maybe Bachmann....?

Hi guys thanks for your contributions to the thread thoroughly enjoying it!

Anyway a few thoughts inspired from this thread so far, ( sorry don't know enought about steam but anyway).

Seems no-one else thinks there will be a 25kV model announced till we have seen the sales from the others which I think I kind of remember Bachmann said about the CEP so you are probably right.

I forgot how many modern image liveries there are left to do on things such as the class 47 or 66 (but have been reminded in this thread) and this could be a good route for Bachmann if they are after a year of consolidation they may also consider models such as the 20/3 as suggested which don't need a whole new tool up just new ends maybe to save time/money.

So year of consolidation or record new tooling numbers!

We find out sunday

cheers

mark

It's interesting watching this prognostication evolve. (I'll confine my comments to steam power. In my vernacular, emus are large lightless birds and my favourite multiple unit is a GWR steam railmotor and autotrailer.)

There is a lot of recent discussion here about the LNER. I'm certainly no expert, and it's interesting to see how the regional aggregation of the GER, NER, GCR et alia into the LNER influences people still - in very rational ways and perhaps slightly more contentiously than usual.

It's interesting to see:

• the hosts of practical Jxx 0-6-0s
  • competing preferences for the iconic (P2) versus more utilitarian (A2/3 etc) big, green and named machines
  • skepticism over the highly polled D11 and D16 4-4-0s
  • I do find Mike's assertion about a Director appearing in December intriguing

There seems to be some consensus that Bachmann might continue with the recent trend for north-eastern, RTR models. Certainly recent releases have hardly scratched the surface in terms of demand for north-eastern items.

I don't expect a lot from this announcement, Bachmann have a ton of 'big things' on their slate right now, but I'm confident there will be at least one new 'big thing' announced. I'm looking forward with interest.

A bit surprised over the number of posters who arn't happy enough with the Limby Met Camm that they want Bachmann to duplicate an existing model.

I believe I can do enough to mine for them to blend in to my fleet.

I can only assume duplication is selective.

Personal choices are pretty much as last year ;

Decent 4F

LNWR Radial 2-4-2 tank

Rechassied Ivatt Mickey Mouse tank

BR std 2MT tender and tank (using the 2MT mech)

Decent class 40 (already being addressed)

Decent class 25 needs seriously addressing

Stanier crab

54xx/64xx/74xx

LMS push pull stock

Flush sided BR(WR) auto car

Class 116 and class 122 (spin off) and Derby DTS (spin off)

Park Royal (class 103)

Sturgeon

Catfish

Anyone of the many hopper wagons used by BR in the 1960 s and 1970s - HKV, HTV, HUO etc

Covhop

Grain

Anchor mount tank

Any one of the many coil carrying wagons used by BR in the 1960s and 1970s.

Most importantly a 4 coupled industrial steam loco - Andrew Barclay, Peckett or Bagnall

Archived