Bachmann pre-announcement thread

reevesthecat

Most importantly a 4 coupled industrial steam loco - Andrew Barclay, Peckett or Bagnall

Phil,

staying out of the wishlist zone, do you think Bachmann is ready to make an industrial 0-4-0T? I certainly like the idea.

I wonder what the right balance of affordability, detailing, robustness, lining and livery, and performance characteristics (mass, motor torque etc) is the right combination to make a winning and profitable 0-4-0T that 'enthusiasts' would want (quite apart from the other problem of exactly which industrial tank locomotive to model.)

• RMweb Gold

"Apart from that coachman is spot on about the parochial nature of most LNER/Eastern locomotives".

Most is probably accurate, although B1s seem to have got about. However I would site the 04/ROD as an engine that can legitimately be used all over the place - the LNWR and the L&Y both had some (and the LSWR for a short period?) and they ran in Scotland, France, the Middle East, China and Australia as well as the GWR, and LNER. Parochial?. Come to think of it how many GWR or SR designs went that far? Directors ran in Scotland of course.

Alastair

Slightly OT I know but I would agree that Dean Goods never got as far as Australia - but at least one got to and worked in China while another was allegedly seen in Russia. Oh and the first ROD train over the Rhine at Cologne at the end of WWI was worked by a Dean Goods - so they got about a bit.

• RMweb Gold

• I do find Mike's assertion about a Director appearing in December intriguing

Not an 'assertion' but a possible (among a list of 'possibles') and as I couldn't even get the number of driving wheels correct on the 2010 loco don't take too much notice of my possible for this year (but I might have got the number of driving wheels right this time).

• RMweb Premium

Well the last 3 Collectors mags have been modelling Brechin. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Scottish 0-6-0 to complete the scene. And ther's a nice preserved Caley 812 class at Aviemore. Ideal I would have thought, Caley Blue, LMS black, BR early and late crests. Ticks all the boxes for me!

Slightly OT I know but I would agree that Dean Goods never got as far as Australia - but at least one got to and worked in China while another was allegedly seen in Russia. Oh and the first ROD train over the Rhine at Cologne at the end of WWI was worked by a Dean Goods - so they got about a bit.

One certainly got some distance east of Berlin and another made it to Vienna after being captured at Dunkirk. The German crews apparently were very impressed with them. Such a small loco could develop power way beyond it's appearance, was economical on coal and required little in the way of maintainance. Another achievement was that they went overseas in both european conflicts.

Bernard

I'll just keep this one simple,

Class 66s with the new style lights a la 66623 and 66301.

Shouldn't be to troublesome to sort out.

Oh and one other thing a true sound fitted Class 70 just like the one I heard/seen leaving Portbury this morning, amazing B)

As a modern modeller, i'd like Bachmann to release a 150/2 in Northern Rail colours,

I'm expecting to see a DCC ready 170, as they annonced the TPE 170 a few years back (Remember that?) however it was withdrawn awaiting re-tooling IIRC... More why I was suprised to see the Saltaire/XC/LM 170's appear!

EMU market it wouldn't suprise me if nothing is announced this year, pending the delivery and sale figures from the 350's. They did that with the 150's.

I'm not big on steam or diesels, however from those I have seen, the current range are well detailed, and can't think of any "new" models they could do!

There's a lot 'intersting' stuff on here - much of it sounds distinctly wish-list-esque. And Pennine's post on the matter was superb :D

A few people have mentioned wagons - one logical next step I think would be an SPA. They don't share many common components with existing airbraked stock but for steel traffic they were very common and there are a few variations out ther too.

I think at some point a new class 24/5 will appear, but not sure if it will be from Bachmann. There's seems to have been very popular so they may see no reason the change it yet. I have to say I think something like a 67 is likely - with Dapol now entering the four mil' market with new locotmives, how long before they use their existing R&D for a four mil' Skip?

And I may be odd but I hope Bachmann leave the NER prototypes alone. For the NER modeller at the moment there's a pretty good selection of kits and parts available anyway. Plus the last thing I want to hear is someone looking at my J27 built from a Bradwell kit and say how well I've detailed the Bachamnn model! :lol: I'd much rather see RTR manufacturers tackle prototypes where the available kits are either poor or lacking. I'm aware that thisisn't how they choose prototypes but it's just my personal opinion.

Ok I will chip in.

Steam

A LNER K4 since one is presvered and has been on the seven valley railway as well as up north and is mainline registered and the parts of the K3 tooling could be used.

a J36 or retooled J39 as a LNER 0-6-0 is a long in the tooth,

J72 might be retooled,

4F and 2F to follow on from the 3F that be a few years yet I think.

The collet goods being updated tooling.

New Ivatt tank using some of the Ivatt 2mt parts and a standard BR 2mt 2-6-0.

A long shot a j70 and y6 since Toby is a famous tram engine

Desiel:

Derby lightweight single car using already annouced tooling.

115/116/117 dmu possable

37 flush fronts tooling is there

47/7 and 47/7 long live and nationwide range.

07 or 05 shunter new tool and examples are presvered

Class 172 turbostar using existing tooling parts for majority of model

Electric:

4 EPB using bits from the 2 EBP tooling

class 73 ED possable but Hornby might be doing that soon to much of a risk perhaps.

Electrostar 377 and 357 use the body side and cabs of the 170 turbostar where applicable

450 dersio

class 81 or 83 since the 85 but they might 2012 plans

refurb 4cep could be done subject to tooling design

Wagons:

GWR and SR wagons retooled upto the br 12ton van standards.

A RNA barrier wagon using the HEA hoppers repaint and without hopper for both varraints.

JGA new tooling using existing data proarply the refurbed freightliner ones.

The other nulcear flask carrier if the FNA sells well

Ferry traffic tankers and vans from BR upto the 90s

Shunters truck released.

I don't know if it is significant but at the Glasgow Model Rail show last week Bachmann had a prototype of a resin RTP Caledonian Railway signal box on display with a note saying it was coming soon . I have not seen it advertised elsewhere but maybe missed it.

g45

I don't know if it is significant but at the Glasgow Model Rail show last week Bachmann had a prototype of a resin RTP Caledonian Railway signal box on display with a note saying it was coming soon . I have not seen it advertised elsewhere but maybe missed it.

g45

You never know - adding two and two together to get 828? ;) :D

Guest Max Stafford

Jings, crivvens and help ma boab - that post from grow45 hit me in the face like a skelp with an Arbroath Smokie*

Ayway, I'm getting out of the trench alongside Simon and Coach regarding the big Thompsons - staple multi-purpose pacifics wherever you go on the ECML and not a few secondary mainlines.

Not unliked in my book at all. Very purposeful engines and I don't know what it is, maybe the rear-set cylinders and short con rods; they just look hard! :D

Dave.

*a popular eastern Scottish smoked herring if you must know...!

MaxStafford : Hard names to match.....Wolf of Badenock, Cock 'O the North, Steady Aim, and not a Pretty Polly amongst them! B)

60513, Dante. Need I say more! :D

I think - and this is controversial! They have a similar appeal to the castles and kings. The cylinders set further back, purposeful front end - not beautiful, but powerful and handsome in their own right.

And to me, Great Northern is the most handsome of the Thompson Pacifics, in her final form mind! But I gather I am in a minority of one there...! There's a chap here on the forum with a beautiful NE Prussian blue example - imagine that in RTR *drools* :lol:

I can dream! No more wishlisting, I promise :lol:

Guest Max Stafford

You might have added the Princess Royals to that list, Tom. Those had rear-set cylinders too and the same no-nonsense bearing!

Another vote for Phase 1 rebuild Great Northern too. With the cutaway cab, no deflectors and plain double chimney all together with the blue livery, that was a seriously mean-looking loco and I very much want to build it in that guise! B)

Dave.

You might have added the Princess Royals to that list, Tom.

TOM? :P

Those had rear-set cylinders too and the same no-nonsense bearing!

Agreed!

Another vote for Phase 1 rebuild Great Northern too. With the cutaway cab, no deflectors and plain double chimney all together with the blue livery, that was a seriously mean-looking loco and I very much want to build it in that guise! B)

Dave.

I'm sort of split on that one. The variant I wanted had the deflectors and normal cab - but there is something, as you say, very very mean looking about the original build - and to be fair, when built, it was (if you believe Cecil J.Allen) a better machine than the original A1s. Advantages of a hopper ashpan and drop gate.

Surprised with the announcement of the Western mainline electrification scheme that no-one hasn't thought of the IEP.

This sort of model would usually be Hornby territory (HST, Javellin, Flying Scotsman, Tornado), if Bachmann stake first claim they'll have something that will end up with lots of varieties/liveries, be a long term model and may open up the big blue box to a new market.

• RMweb Gold

Surprised with the announcement of the Western mainline electrification scheme that no-one hasn't thought of the IEP.

This sort of model would usually be Hornby territory (HST, Javellin, Flying Scotsman, Tornado), if Bachmann stake first claim they'll have something that will end up with lots of varieties/liveries, be a long term model and may open up the big blue box to a new market.

I suspect that anybody making a model of the IEP at this stage in its 'development' might finish up with a sort of plastic 'up-tempo' equivalent of the Hornby Dublo Deltic only with higher initial costs.

Guest LNER Tom

Sorry Simon, I was conducting two conversations at once!

;-)

I get the feeling that might have been our converstation we were having Dave? I would take it as a compliment Simon! :lol:

Regarding the Thompsons...as Gilbert and others have said, due to the nature of the sub class, 4 A2/1s, 6 A2/2s.....the likely model would be an A2/3....but as also has been said, with an A2 of the Peppercorn variety now in our hands, I doubt it's any time soon.

The K1 seems to be mentioned alot (I'll admit from me...and more a case of...I'd like to see) but how likely would this be from Bachmann...with the L1 valve gear...and B1 from Hornby...wouldn't that be the likely place to see it coming, seems logical.

Saying that...I'm now more inclined to think that what I would call logic, might have nothing to do with it! :blink: :lol:

Not too long to go now anyhow...and yes, that Caley Signal box is most interesting :)

For a start, there is no such train !

It's the name of a project to procure trains.

The train chosen to fulfil the requirement is the Hitachi SET, but the specification has all changed and it looks like it will end up as a completely different train.

So as Mike says; it's still in development.

...and yes, I agree it's probably Hornby territory.

If Bachmann want to maximise returns with re-liveries or making use of existing parts/toolings, why not some or all of the following?

And as I being completely biased, I'm only putting forward suggestions that would be of interest to me!

LMS 57' coaches in earlier "full" livery, ideally with added details to the underframes.

Use the Patriot chassis as a basis for a Claughton (many livery options to choose from)

Use the Jinty/forthcoming 3F chassis as a basis for one of the Caledonian "Jumbo" family of locomotives - I think the wheelbase was the same, but stand to be corrected if not. Again, many livery options to produce.

That I should be so lucky...............

Can't say I'm too keen on the possible Caley Signal Cabin, though - I've just about finished scratchbuilding one.

• RMweb Premium

- 104 DMU - Wide sphere of operation and long life, not sure about 101/117 though, Bachmann will be wary of the opportunity Hornby have to produce both of these.

A bit surprised over the number of posters who arn't happy enough with the Limby Met Camm that they want Bachmann to duplicate an existing model.

I believe I can do enough to mine for them to blend in to my fleet.

I can only assume duplication is selective.

Whilst I agree with you, 37114, that Bachmann may be wary of producing a 101 or 117 because Hornby has the ex-Lima tools, I don't see why that should rule them out. Whilst the Met-Cam at least can be made to look ok, it is still way behind the standards now available with the Class 105 and 108. Compared to them, the Hornby 101 looks dated and so I will not buy one and will wait. Hopefully not for too long. I doubt I'm alone in this. Hornby has shown no interest so far, so why not Bachmann if they think a new model would be commercially viable, and in view of its use on all BR regions including the southern (Reading - Gatwick/Tonbridge) for me it is a much better commercial bet than the Buxton units (Class 104s), which were known as that for a reason during my spotting days in the 80s at least.

If one manufacturer did not produce a model simply because another already had existing tooling, however up to date, then there would be less incentive for manufacturers to keep improving the standards of their models because they would know they could keep churning out existing models because no one else would compete with them. Just look at how many 1960s/70s models are still being produced by Hornby. As has been said before, elsewhere in Europe many of the most popular locos are produced by a number of manufacturers and look where they are in terms of standard options and detailing. We are catching up, but in my view not fast enough.

Guest LNER Tom

This thread is all very well, but when can we expect an announcement from Bachmann? Is one imminent?

Hi Dogmatix

This coming Sunday I believe :)

Tom

Archived