Finally one of my longest desires may be fulfilled.  I really want at least 2 of these.  I model Padstow in 1947 so all of my West Country locomotives should have the original cab.  

Now comes the problem of ordering for the US. If I recall there was an insurance problem with direct US orders or was that just Dave Frank's products.  I have ordered from RT in the past but it has been several years.

Oh now for the joys of matching Hornby Malachite from a US available paint palette. 

• RMweb Gold

I still supply to the US as well as the rest of the world. All I ask is for the extra overseas postage to be added by the buyer from the home page or if forgotten, after you've checked out as it doesn't work out the postage for outside the UK

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11 March 2019 at 17:08, The Fatadder said:

The West Country cab looks rather nice, and I think I am right in saying that I will need one for my model of Tavistock in 1947.

I dread to think how difficult it will be forming those curves 

You are correct about 21C111 later 34011 Tavistock as she did not gain a Wedge shaped cab until late 1952, certainly a photo I have of her in BR experimental apple green still has the original square cab.

its not too difficult to form, a scale drawing will be supplied.

if you go by the rear cab turn ins these help a lot.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, RThompson said:

You are correct about 21C111 later 34011 Tavistock as she did not gain a Wedge shaped cab until late 1952, certainly a photo I have of her in BR experimental apple green still has the original square cab.

its not too difficult to form, a scale drawing will be supplied.

if you go by the rear cab turn ins these help a lot.

Thanks for the confirmation,

I look forward to it becoming available, I will definitely be getting one!

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rka said:

Are the WC cabs suitable for the MN class? I have a golden arrow resin kit for a MN but been put off by the thickness of the can moulding.

Hello RKa,

Unfortunately it's not suitable dimensionally in both length and width for 11-20 series

Yes. They are a minefield. Which is a bit ironic since they were meant to be an attempt at standardisation.

The last ten were built with wedge shaped cabs and the rest were altered later on. Dates here.

http://www.bulleidsociety.org/OVS_Bulleid/OVSB_Merchant_Navy.html

I'm assuming they are correct for the first ten.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Not suitable for the first 10 either, different shape.

the main difference is the width.

mn cabs are 9'0"

wc/Bob was 8'6" up to number 70 then 9'0" afterwards.

those that was rebuilt received 9'0" cabs.

bulleid Pacifics are a minefield.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

just to let you know I will be attending my first exhibition of 2019 this weekend at the "London festival of railway modelling" at Alexandra Palace, London on March 23rd, 24th 2019.

It is hoped there might be a couple of new releases in 4mm scale standard gauge, useful if you like Pecketts and early hunslets.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, RThompson said:

It is hoped there might be a couple of new releases in 4mm scale standard gauge, useful if you like Pecketts and early hunslets.

Interesting... Will you be attending Scalefour North this year?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

Interesting... Will you be attending Scalefour North this year?

unfortunately not,

the next sightseeing tour run clashes with the exhibition.

my next exhibition after this weekend is not until September so far.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

last night got a few hours to carry on with the test build of the 4mm scale Ironstone dumpcar.

So far, the build is going well but there are areas that need reworking.

I've even fitted the compensation rocking unit to this.

also included is one standard drawgear bufferbeam as per a few prototypes so you do not need a a buckeye fitted loco to haul/propel these.

DSC_3221.JPG.12f1171bd9359cde485516f754b4810d.JPG

DSC_3222.JPG.9869273b9d9cb8b672170d5a08e6d6bf.JPG

DSC_3223.JPG.aef1df0aefecc2db21a222de4a211fbe.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

the chassis is too fine in terms of width so needs another layer added to bring to the correct width.

still more to build to check everything but I know what needs altering.

the wagon body floor has etched half dimples to punch out rivets but takes ages to do, a lot of the wagons I photographed didn't have these despite the official makers photographs.

with this in mind and the fact the frame work is a struggle to make up, I'm going to drop the rivets and make it all tab and slot to make life easier which will require filing the floor after building,

Thats what test etches are for, test build the design and practabilities.

I won't say what the hunslet bit is but as usual it's always something random but useful, just hope they arrive in time for Ally Pally.

in addition to Ally Pally, I will be bringing with me the nameplates Albert Goodall used to stock which even includes modern image diesels and other regions steam locomotives in 4mm scale.

• RMweb Gold

IMG_20190322_175308.jpg.4a480f7b7288b2bc16ffd82ade5cdf87.jpg

Heres one of the new to be released items, lost wax brass safety valve cover, valves and whistle for the Hornby W4 Peckett.

I'm well chuffed I have got the shrinkage rate spot on, however these will not be for sale until the end of next week as the spring balance valves and whistle are on another mould and are to be sent into me.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2019 at 08:29, autocoach said:

Oh now for the joys of matching Hornby Malachite from a US available paint palette. 

Matching it to anything at all is very difficult!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jack P said:

Matching it to anything at all is very difficult!

If anyone does have a good match to the colour Hornby used, I would be very interested to hear it in advance of the etch becoming available.  Id rather not have to repaint the whole loco....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

a couple of items added to the website now, 4mm scale standard gauge.

Original WC/BoB AWS battery box cover and coupling deflector plate.

image.jpeg.c90b5b254c0787beb98a937b7347e000.jpeg

Early hunslet locomotive buffers in lost wax brass. The feed has been done on the head so needs to be carefully filed and straightened.

image.jpeg.4cf93e8dc915299f9783b5a1bb47be4a.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Whilst at a meeting tonight. I spotted this Sentinel locomotive makers badge which I had my just completed 80hp Sentinel locomotive with me and posed in front of it.

IMG_20190617_214313.jpg.f570dcb8ecff34605e8ba0a07101c9b3.jpg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 13