• RMweb Gold

Hi Robert, Im interested in the original 8'6" square WC/BoB cab. Would you be prepared to etch this in 2mm scale, well 1:148 actually as I want to upgrade a couple of original Farish West Countrys - also the original smoke deflectors.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

No anonymous about anything, as some of you know I'm pretty open about anything.

No point taking me to the pub, glass of coke for me!

The Sentinel is a bit of an odd shade of red but looks faded as to how I wanted it to look.

Unfortunately I have just bought a mag that has a photo of the actual loco I was portraying rather than going off one not clear image and it's totally wrong, oh well.

Jerry, yes I can do that with the WC cab and smoke deflectors, just awaiting to hear about a test build from someone for their opinion then I will get it redone and even include the 2mm version.

I had to deliver a order to the Ffestiniog railway yesterday, so much so it required 2 buses to deliver them (if only!)

Might see you during the weekend driving either of these 2.

IMG_20190621_132611.jpg.67112d350319e03596b6bafb53e82acf.jpg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 21/06/2019 at 19:57, RThompson said:

Jerry, yes I can do that with the WC cab and smoke deflectors, just awaiting to hear about a test build from someone for their opinion then I will get it redone and even include the 2mm version.

Thanks Rob,

if they work out in 2mm I'm sure I wont be the only 2mm member who fancies giving them a try. The old Farish WC body is a bit basic in terms of detail but buffs up pretty well - this is John Greenwoods sporting a new, scratchbuilt, cab, smoke deflectors and chassis

.wadebridge_uckfield.jpg.8685b56fa18d056fccd1081ba3e7e95c.jpg

Jerry 

On 21/06/2019 at 19:57, RThompson said:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
On 24 June 2019 at 08:08, timbowilts said:

I suppose the one on the right is much harder on the arms?

Tim T

Nope, she has power assisted steering and has a fully automatic gearbox.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29 June 2019 at 18:25, 1whitemoor said:

Hi Robert, 

Any news on the Peckett safety valve covers? If you could put me down for two sets when they become available that would be appreciated. 

Cheers

Paul A. 

Hi Paul,

im just awaiting the salter balance valves and whistle as unfortunately there has been problems with them and not happy to release them.

ive got the safety valve covers themselves though.

As an aside, if anyone has placed an order recently, please note that I'm being slow getting orders out at the minute as I keep being called out to replace real trains with buses on a daily basis, several times a day and out again in a bit.

regards Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

I haven't been on the forum for a while.

At the minute orders that have not been sent out, should be sent in over a week's time due to my very long hours I'm working currently.

I currently don't have any motor/ gearbox packs to go into the 4mm scale sentinel loco kits.

If you do order one, I will post the motor/gearbox pack seperately once these arrive but I have no timeframe on this.

I also have no 4mm scale MW K class in stock, got one old class I left. More K class are on order though.

I've seen the article in Model railway Journal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some photos of my recently completed 100hp Sentinel

404385669_47184lf.jpg.dcc8c000c4587e8b469e91eda70e7fac.jpg

2117371763_47184br.jpg.13e5bb9fd35de58ace61f27b7c8e0f26.jpg

2064660039_47184flpainted.jpg.ecebec0ec0e5d1f52fb2f626f4e5e429.jpg

I've built this as BR 47184, a long time favourite of mine ever since I saw a photo of it in my first Ian Allan trainspotting book - although I didn't realise in 1954 that it worked only a few miles from where I lived, usually on hire to Pilkingtons in St Helens. 

The kit went together perfectly although I did have to make a few modifications for the BR condition of 47184. Most of these were built with an open backed cab, this backsheet appears to have been fitted by the LMS or BR at a later date and when I eventually found a rear view it had three spectacles rather than the near universal two. Fortunately Robert has included a few spares on the etch and these included another spectacle frame so all three were soldered to some n/s sheet and opened out. The extra toolbox on the footplate is one of my mouldings (about right), new chimney, or funnel as Sentinel always described it, with a hinged lid and a turned whistle added.

The running gear is the excellent High Level Quadriver, modified with an n20 motor to use as a test bed for this option.

I have no use for this loco on any of my layouts or ones I am associated with - but just couldn't resist it. Thanks to Robert for producing an excellent kit - and to Judith, it was my Christmas present last year.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Power unit from 47184

1787848383_t4003.jpg.cc9375b4ce8de16a04e95665d56caa0a.jpg

This is the standard High Level Quadriver (supplied in the kit with a Mashima motor) but I wanted to try out this n20 motor. This comes with a 1mm shaft but that's easily sleeved with brass tube and as can be seen it bolts straight on to the HL gearbox. It runs smoothly if rather noisily and has far more power than this little loco can handle, I can't identify exactly where this one came from - I've bought dozens of these from various Chinese sources via Ebay.

• Like 4

On 17/08/2019 at 09:47, Michael Edge said:

Power unit from 47184

1787848383_t4003.jpg.cc9375b4ce8de16a04e95665d56caa0a.jpg

This is the standard High Level Quadriver (supplied in the kit with a Mashima motor) but I wanted to try out this n20 motor. This comes with a 1mm shaft but that's easily sleeved with brass tube and as can be seen it bolts straight on to the HL gearbox. It runs smoothly if rather noisily and has far more power than this little loco can handle, I can't identify exactly where this one came from - I've bought dozens of these from various Chinese sources via Ebay.

How is it for slow running (and smooth slow starting)?

Edited by johnarcher

• RMweb Gold

Sorry I've been quiet on here. Been working flat out around the country over the last few months.

I have almost caught up with everyone's orders now, I will be going through the emails next week replying to those who have emailed about various things.

At the minute I'm awaiting motor and gearbox packs for the 4mm scale sentinel kits, I hope to update the website next week also so will reflect on this and various stock levels.

I will be attending EM north in Wakefield and Scaleforum in Aylesbury in September.

It is hoped at Scaleforum some new 4mm scale items will be released. 

Revised etch drawings and patterns should be sent next week now I've got time off for now, as some people know, my day changes minute by minute.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

fingers crossed I should have the following 4mm scale items released at Scaleforum.

Peckett W4 and B2 brass safety valve dome, salter safety valves and whistle in lost wax brass to replace the Hornby models versions.

Original square cab for the Bulleid West Country

Short and extra long smoke deflectors for the bulleid West Country

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

just to let you know the 4mm scale original bulleid West Country cab, short and extra long deflectors are in stock.

These won't be added to the website till after scaleforum exhibition as I'm catching up with current orders plus got to pack more stock for the show.

Edited by RThompson

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RThompson said:

Hello everyone,

just to let you know the 4mm scale original bulleid West Country cab, short and extra long deflectors are in stock.

These won't be added to the website till after scaleforum exhibition as I'm catching up with current orders plus got to pack more stock for the show.

Still interested in 2mm versions of these when you get round to it.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to finally announce that the 4mm scale Hornby Peckett W4 and B2 lost wax brass safety valve cover, salter safety valves and whistle is now in stock and available this weekend at Scaleforun for £5.50 the set.

IMG_20190925_124251.jpg.4128a852bfb806e77e84811ee03c490f.jpg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2019 at 23:15, RThompson said:

Hello everyone,

the west country locomotive body has arrived today allowing me to test the original 8'6" square cab on it.

The fit is very good, however the front of the cab needs altering slightly to match the body profile better.

DSC_2697.JPG.9f6183d40617318e2bde4c367bf697b4.JPG

Looking forward to making a start on my new cab for Tavistock (and dreading forming the roof in equal measure).  It will likely be the next project to hit the bench once I have tidied some space!   

Could you take a photo of the loco body without cab please?  I would like to remind myself where you need to file back to form the recess.

• Agree 1