Hello,

The 4mm scale 00/EM/P4 manning wardle old class I and class k 0-6-0ST locomotive kits have been undergoing revision so the whole body for each will be on one sheet rather than seperate as before.

Whilst this is being done, is there anything you would like to see altered.

Was looking into doing the boiler as part of the chassis instead of the current cast boiler?

not  an alteration as such, but how about an alternative chimney - a balloon stack ?

• RMweb Gold

not  an alteration as such, but how about an alternative chimney - a balloon stack ?

I haven't come across a British class k or old class I with a ballon stack chimney, think there was a Australian one that did?

I haven't come across a British class k or old class I with a ballon stack chimney, think there was a Australian one that did?

The following images are taken from Brookes Industrial Railways by S.A. Leleux Locomotion Papers Number Sixty Three published by the Oakwood Press. 

http://i.imgur.com/9gi8MC9.jpg 

I do not know if they are MW class K or I but the details from the above book have them as:

Azo   0-6-0ST Cyls 12x18I #1895 date 1916

Silex 0-6-0ST Cyls 12x18I #1330 date 1897

Nitro 0-6-0ST Cyls 12x18I #1894 date 1916

hope this is helpful

• RMweb Premium

I

The following images are taken from Brookes Industrial Railways by S.A. Leleux Locomotion Papers Number Sixty Three published by the Oakwood Press. 

http://i.imgur.com/9gi8MC9.jpg 

I do not know if they are MW class K or I but the details from the above book have them as:

Azo   0-6-0ST Cyls 12x18I #1895 date 1916

Silex 0-6-0ST Cyls 12x18I #1330 date 1897

Nitro 0-6-0ST Cyls 12x18I #1894 date 1916

hope this is helpful

Interesting find, I was with Robert in thinking there were no British ones with spark arrestor chimneys, but their use in a chemical works would explain that.  Looking at the pictures the centre one seems to show the standard chimney, so were those spark arrestor chimneys fitted by Brookes Ltd rather than Manning Wardle?

According to the MW works list I have all 3 were class 'L' locos.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I

Interesting find, I was with Robert in thinking there were no British ones with spark arrestor chimneys, but their use in a chemical works would explain that.  Looking at the pictures the centre one seems to show the standard chimney, so were those spark arrestor chimneys fitted by Brookes Ltd rather than Manning Wardle?

According to the MW works list I have all 3 were class 'L' locos.

Thanks

I've just checked and by going by the photos and works numbers they certainly are class L's which are bigger overall, this class of loco should be in the CSP models range.

Interesting seeing the photo the photo of them with the spark arrester chimney, more knowledge added to the memory bank.

• 1 month later...

An Old Class I, bought a year or so ago (presumably before the redesign). I have thoroughly enjoyed building this and the main challenges have been in trying to establish details of the prototype. Don't be misled by the idea that Manning Wardles were standard designs; they all seem to be different!

post-9472-0-62016600-1469384574_thumb.jpg

Best wishes

Eric

• Like 5

An Old Class I, bought a year or so ago (presumably before the redesign). I have thoroughly enjoyed building this and the main challenges have been in trying to establish details of the prototype. Don't be misled by the idea that Manning Wardles were standard designs; they all seem to be different!

attachicon.gifIMG_4930.JPG

Best wishes

Eric

Hi Eric,

Just wondering what motor/gearbox combination you used?

Cheers,

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eric,

What gauge is your old class I built to?

Yes there is so many variations in these locos it's impossible to cover every variant and even old class i's got reclassed as class k'S even though newly built class k is 6 inches longer in the wheelbase and overall length.

• RMweb Gold

Just a little update on progress so far, all 4mm scale.

The revised manning wardle old class I and class k 0-6-0ST loco kits are to be submitted

detailing etch specifically for the new DJModels austerity/j94 0-6-0ST

test 3 of the de winton loco kit

Hi Eric,

What gauge is your old class I built to?

Yes there is so many variations in these locos it's impossible to cover every variant and even old class i's got reclassed as class k'S even though newly built class k is 6 inches longer in the wheelbase and overall length.

Richard 

I work to EM and the prototype is Wave of the Newhaven Harbour Company. There does not seem to be any record of the Manning Wardle works number for this loco, as it was acquired 2nd or 3rd hand from the Hunslett Engine Company in 1882 and there seems only to be one, rather hazy photo! There are therefore a number of features where I have had to make a best guess and there will be quite a lot more guesswork involved in the livery - which was Stroudley's improved engine green. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

I have just received today the test etches for the revised 4mm scale, standard gauge manning wardle old class I and class K.

The locos lasted from the 1860's to the 1960's with mainline railway companies such as the gwr, industrial and light railways.

The etches have started to be built and are not much different to the old kits, just rearranged onto one sheet for the body with minor alterations made to some areas to make building easier.

They need altering with one set of tabs from where I've altered to make the inside dummy motion easier and more detailed and also the smokebox overlays are missing their rivets.

Also a test etch for the dj models austerity /J94 needs the rear cab grills altered.

These should be available towards the end of the month.

Regards Robert Thompson

• Like 2

I have just received today the test etches for the revised 4mm scale, standard gauge manning wardle old class I and class K.

The locos lasted from the 1860's to the 1960's with mainline railway companies such as the gwr, industrial and light railways.

The etches have started to be built and are not much different to the old kits, just rearranged onto one sheet for the body with minor alterations made to some areas to make building easier.

They need altering with one set of tabs from where I've altered to make the inside dummy motion easier and more detailed and also the smokebox overlays are missing their rivets.

This is good news.  These are wonderfully characterful prototypes.  I need to start saving for one of each.  I hope I become one of many new customers for these kits.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention I will also be offering for sale separately soon the manning wardle chassis etches.

Would anyone be interested in chassis kits from the sentinel loco kits?

Robert

I would be interested in a chassis kit for a sentinel, if it had the sentinel axle box castings that would be great. I have been planning a scratch build sentinel but had yet to work out how to do the axle boxes.

kind regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Which version of sentinel was you planning?

I'm only asking as all of the 100hp series is available from myself as complete, easy to build kits.

Robert

I would be interested in a chassis kit for a sentinel, if it had the sentinel axle box castings that would be great. I have been planning a scratch build sentinel but had yet to work out how to do the axle boxes.

kind regards

David

Which version of sentinel was you planning?

I'm only asking as all of the 100hp series is available from myself as complete, easy to build kits.

Dear Richard

I want to build a model of the derwent valley railway loco. It does not have the difficult grills of the y1 and y3 sentinels. I may build one of your kits sentinel kits in the future. I  know your kits are good to build.. I have a part  completed manning wardle loco which went together very well and I need to finish the detailing. I particularly liked the fact it was nickel silver as this was nicer to solder than brass. As well as building kits though I also like to scratch build as it gives me a different challenge.

kind regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Dear Richard

I want to build a model of the derwent valley railway loco. It does not have the difficult grills of the y1 and y3 sentinels. I may build one of your kits sentinel kits in the future. I  know your kits are good to build.. I have a part  completed manning wardle loco which went together very well and I need to finish the detailing. I particularly liked the fact it was nickel silver as this was nicer to solder than brass. As well as building kits though I also like to scratch build as it gives me a different challenge.

kind regards

David

That's fair enough David,

After quickly searching for the said loco. Unfortunately the chassis kits are too short at a scale 4'9" and one other type I did at 5'0" so the motor would sit in the shallower loco bodies and the real chassis could be adjusted up to 6 inches to allow for the chains being stretched.

Your loco being a CE rather than a BE has a 7'0" wheelbase

That's fair enough David,

After quickly searching for the said loco. Unfortunately the chassis kits are too short at a scale 4'9" and one other type I did at 5'0" so the motor would sit in the shallower loco bodies and the real chassis could be adjusted up to 6 inches to allow for the chains being stretched.

Your loco being a CE rather than a BE has a 7'0" wheelbase

Dear Richard

Oh well I will have to make my own. Though I would appreciate you adding the sentinel axle box castings your detailing parts catalogue. Thanks.

kind regards

David

Just to complete the story of the Old Class I illustrated above, it is now painted and lined as "Wave" of the Newhaven Harbour Company. If the livery looks vaguely familiar, the Harbour company was effectively a subsidiary of the LB&SCR and Wave was painted, according to Bradley, in the "standard Stroudley passenger livery". I am grateful to fellow members of the Brighton Circle, who have helped to interpret how the livery might have been applied to a distinctly non standard loco, given the poor quality of the only known photo.

post-9472-0-69385200-1470941925_thumb.jpg

post-9472-0-50231300-1470940880_thumb.jpg

For comparison, Wave is shown at Vintners' Yard, with other Brighton superpower. The large loco on the left is a Terrier.....

post-9472-0-84665900-1470940873_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any information about Wave's earlier history, before it was bought from the Hunslett Engine Company in 1881, I should be interested to know. There does not seem to be a record of the makers number.

Best wishes

Eric

Edited by burgundy
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hello Eric,

Wave looks fantastic, especially in stroudley colours

Would I be allowed to use these photos on the RT models gallery page or if you have anymore please?

Regards Robert

Edited by RThompson

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

4mm scale Dj models j94/austerity detailing sheet available in a week or so, hopefully at em north where I will be attending with the stand.

The followings items are on the detailing sheet of which instructions will be included.

6x footplate steps

2x replacement rear cab spectacle and bars

2x saddle tank steps

Giesl ejector front tank blanking plate

Smokebox door vacuum relief valve

Cab roof vent so you can model it open

Various lamp irons

Lner extended coal bunker ladder and buffer beam steps

Reversing lever and rod

Cab blackhead regulator handle

Interior coal bunker hatch which is missing from the dj models loco.

Regards Robert

post-8628-0-51361700-1473447093_thumb.jpeg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 7