Roath, Cardiff

Pixie

My suspicion Mike is that these were taken early (5 or 6 am early) on damp summer mornings which might explain the lack of traffic. I did a fair bit of cycling around Cardiff at that time of day last summer, the light - not to mention the apparent humidity - is familiar. The Shelvoke and Drewry dustcarts were the subject of a Dinky model I think, so if you can track down one of those and some leading dimensions an approximation of the body should be easy enough - the cab might be somewhat tricky (unless you name's Geoff Kent...).

Of more prosaic interest is a real '70s 'Brains' Bridge:

Windsor Rd

DMU crossing Windsor Rd

Adam

I drove under that bridge at 08:00 today, on my way back from Penarth to Kent- it still carries the Brains' lettering, though is somewhat tattier. Just up from it, just to the right of where the photographer was standing, is a house painted in vivid lemon-yellow Sandtex- I wonder what colour it was in those days?

I believe Oxford are doing similar S&D dustcarts, though the current liveries

are midland or Scottish ones.

Going on the photos these are of a rather earlier pattern than any likely to be serving in the early '70s (though I could be wrong!)

Adam

• RMweb Gold

I drove under that bridge at 08:00 today, on my way back from Penarth to Kent- it still carries the Brains' lettering, though is somewhat tattier. Just up from it, just to the right of where the photographer was standing, is a house painted in vivid lemon-yellow Sandtex- I wonder what colour it was in those days?

I certainly can't remember a vivid yellow house in that vicinity back then Brian although I only went down there a few times dropping my boss off when we changed over the 'on call' car. I think Adam must be right about the time of day at which the pics were taken although interestingly there are also very few parked vehicles as well.

Going on the photos these are of a rather earlier pattern than any likely to be serving in the early '70s (though I could be wrong!)

Adam

When did that type with the compactor on the back come out? Llanelli was still using the style based on a tipper body with a curved cover that opened in sections into the late 1960s, then acquired some of the later type.

Most of my Nans waste like ashes etc went either on the garden or the allotment, after seiving of course!

Guess which 7 year old did the seiving!

Newspaper was made into paper sticks for firelighting, pop and beer bottles returned and any green waste was either composted or went for Mr Flynn's chickens!

So the good residents of Roath (Cecil St) were very 'modern' with regards to recycling so not much went out!

Name the shop Perrymans, bit of Roath history there as well!

Interesting discussion gents. It'd be interesting to know when the vidid yellow house did appear, although it'd be hard to model without it looking wrong. There's very little progress to report on Roath although I've been casting quite a few more bits and pieces related to the terraced houses - I'm hoping I should be able to get them polished off over the next few weeks. Also had an order fo wheels turn up from Ultrascale so there should be a couple more locos on show shortly.

The Shelvoke and Drewry dustcarts were the subject of a Dinky model I think, so if you can track down one of those and some leading dimensions an approximation of the body should be easy enough - the cab might be somewhat tricky (unless you name's Geoff Kent...).

You're not kiding - although the place I've got in mind for it on the layout would mean that the cab would be under the bridge and facing the back scene, so my mongrel modelling wouldn't be on display. I think I came to the conclusion that the ones in the Penarth photo were TY Pakamatiks but sadly there doesn't seem to be any preserved examples for measuring, but I did come across a few people that might be worth trying for drawings. I'll have a poke around on Ebay for a Dinky model. (EDIT - Found one!)

This any good Pixie?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45f534bf0a

Very much so, thanks!

Pix

• 2 weeks later...

Like a volatile girlfriend, I love making a scene. I'm not really one for twee, little cameos but I find it quite theraputic adding little bits and pieces that litter the real world. The only issue is that it's damn time consuming - this little area has taken a few evenings of dabbling to get it where it is now. Still, it's one little area of the layout that's approaching finished, just got to make sure I get the rest of the layout to the same standard by the next showing!

dscf2506n.jpg

I'll give anyone a hundred bonus points if they can tell me what the two shirts on the line are...! ;)

nadger.jpg

Yep... more green bits! Having a good long look at some photos of various overgrown yards I decided that some of the green bits were a little uniforum and lacking a variety of textures. I've also started to build some yard lamps which have been roughly scaled from photographs - I'm not sure if they're a standard GWR pattern or anything but they seemed to be quite numerous around Cardiff. I'm hoping to make some progress on the rear terraced houses over the weekend, I hope that adding a bit of variety to the skyline should help blend the backscene in.

dscf2513f.jpg

dscf2488s.jpg

More soon...

OMS -

Pix

• RMweb Gold

I'll give anyone a hundred bonus points if they can tell me what the two shirts on the line are...! ;)

Is one an England football shirt (in Cardiff!) and the other a Muse T-shirt?...

Great work Pix - terrific attention to detail.

dscf2506n.jpg

nadger.jpg

OMS -

Well whoever pegged those shirts out must have been either (i) a bloke living alone, or (ii) a student, because most women (and married men) would peg the shirts upside down !

PS

Especially an England football shirt, in a Cardiff backyard !

I would expect faded Levi's with tiny turn-ups, a tie-dyed tee shirt (grandad vest) in those days, or a Ben Sherman shirt (with button down collar), Harrington jacket and Levi's stay-prest trousers to be drying ready for the owner to show off on Saturday night 'down the Rank' or in 'Bumpers'

Brian R

Is one an England football shirt (in Cardiff!) and the other a Muse T-shirt?...

PS

Especially an England football shirt, in a Cardiff backyard !

Half way there on each one! It's meant to be a Cardiff away shirt (http://images.productserve.com/preview/317/15127534.jpg) simply because it was the most usable image I could find on t'internet. I did try and cut one out from a cigarette card on Photoshop but my skills simply weren't good enough. The Black shirt is a 1971 Led Zep world tour shirt... just because it was the first tasteful tihng to come up during Googling!

Well whoever pegged those shirts out must have been either (i) a bloke living alone, or (ii) a student, because most women (and married men) would peg the shirts upside down !

I've been meaning to ask your for a wile Bri - was Roath as much of a student area in the early 70's as it is now or did real people (;)) live there? It doesn't make too much of a difference but it'll be useful for the little details.

I would expect faded Levi's with tiny turn-ups, a tie-dyed tee shirt (grandad vest) in those days, or a Ben Sherman shirt (with button down collar), Harrington jacket and Levi's stay-prest trousers to be drying ready for the owner to show off on Saturday night 'down the Rank' or in 'Bumpers'

Hmm - I think I'll have to add a bit more detail to my washing... they look a little 2D at present anyway!

Pix

Guest Max Stafford

Brian R

Now there's a man who knows how to dress properly! ;) B)

Dave.

It's meant to be a Cardiff away shirt (http://images.productserve.com/preview/317/15127534.jpg) .The Black shirt is a 1971 Led Zep world tour shirt... just because it was the first tasteful tihng to come up during Googling!

I've been meaning to ask your for a wile Bri - was Roath as much of a student area in the early 70's as it is now or did real people (;)) live there?

Pix

No.1

Replica (although we didn't call them that) football shirts were virtually unheard of in those halcyon days of the early 70s. I believe they are more of a modern phenomenon.

During the period your railway is set, trendy football fans were just moving away from having scarves tied around their wrist or belt and the 'skinhead' look to become more 'suede head' or 'smoothy', wearing popular dress of the day, which in winter would be a Crombie style overcoat, possibly a pork pie hat, with either a Ben Sherman or Brutus shirt and Levi denims or Sta-prest trousers. Footwear had moved from 'cherry red' Doc. Marten boots to Brogues or Lofa's. Summer wear would still be a Ben Sherman or a Fred Perry polo style shirt and jeans.

As for the populace of Roath at that time, my wife is from Roath and claims it was full of real people (I beg to differ after 32yrs of marriage).

Don't forget, Roath has always been a 'working class' area, and in Cardiff in my time, Led Zeppelin and similar 'rock' bands were considered middle-class at least. We minions stuck to Motown, Reggae (Trojan) and Soul.

Brian R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I've admired your modelling for ages, but refrained from commenting up till now 'cos others have been saying it all! I'm only doing so now for purely selfish reasons - where did the tyres in your scrap heap come from? I want some to add to the various bits of junk on my layout.

Thanks

David C

Doh! I just realised that Muse were probably not even born at the time your layout is set ;)

Seems not! Could always do something to do with The Tornado's as Matt Bellamys dad was involved with them, although I think the 50's might be a little early for band t-shirts. There's a few bands my dad mentions from time to time I'd like to use... Electric Prunes or Peppermint Trolley Company anyone? One little pop reference I will include somewhere is the 'People are uneatable, they contain too much DDT', which my uncle used to see every morning on his way to Uni in Exeter. Seems it's still there too - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Exeter,+UK&sll=40.748297,-73.935585&sspn=0.05384,0.16737&ie=UTF8&split=0&ei=xf29TP3DAYnNjAezwMCyDg&hq=&hnear=Exeter,+United+Kingdom&ll=50.733983,-3.525217&spn=0,0.029097&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=50.732707,-3.525215&panoid=Wly6jNCzaxOm2xb9Onii0w&cbp=12,335.1,,1,16.94. Isn't the internet brilliant?!

Replica (although we didn't call them that) football shirts were virtually unheard of in those halcyon days of the early 70s. I believe they are more of a modern phenomenon.

Ah - I'll have to take it off the line then. ;)

During the period your railway is set, trendy football fans were just moving away from having scarves tied around their wrist or belt and the 'skinhead' look to become more 'suede head' or 'smoothy', wearing popular dress of the day, which in winter would be a Crombie style overcoat, possibly a pork pie hat, with either a Ben Sherman or Brutus shirt and Levi denims or Sta-prest trousers. Footwear had moved from 'cherry red' Doc. Marten boots to Brogues or Lofa's. Summer wear would still be a Ben Sherman or a Fred Perry polo style shirt and jeans.

Cheers Brian - I am getting nearer to having to dress and paint some figures up so I'll bear this in mind. There seems to be quite a lack of 70's figures, a lot of the items available seem to be dressed a bit earlier or are just generic. Some modelling and carving awaits...! Funny you should mention scarves, I recently picked up this one off ebay for a couple of quid that's meant to be from the late 60's. I'm guessing it's more of sticking on your wall, rather than a wooly, wearing one?

dscf2531z.jpg

As for the populace of Roath at that time, my wife is from Roath and claims it was full of real people (I beg to differ after 32yrs of marriage).

Don't forget, Roath has always been a 'working class' area, and in Cardiff in my time, Led Zeppelin and similar 'rock' bands were considered middle-class at least. We minions stuck to Motown, Reggae (Trojan) and Soul.

Ahh, that's good to know. Where did all the students dwell? I assumed that they'd been a feature of Cathays and Roath since 1883...!

Love scene, are the wheels old Lego ones!? :D

Hey Nick - long time, hope all is well! Not sure on the source of the wheels, I've got a whole stack of bits that I've kept as they look useful. I think a lot of the tires came from cars that I bought for previous layouts and never got anywhere. I wonder if anyone does any packs of 4mm tyres? It'd be nice to add some more.

Led Zep t-shirt.... LOVE it Pix.... :lol:

I'll bet at least a few people had a secret love of Bonzo, Percy, JPJ and the Black Master........

Glad you approve! I've occasionally mused about whether it might be worth trying to get hold of some radio recordings and have them playing in the background at shows - it could well add a level of nostalgia but it could also lead to a lot announce to the poor soul stuck next to me!

I've admired your modelling for ages, but refrained from commenting up till now 'cos others have been saying it all! I'm only doing so now for purely selfish reasons - where did the tyres in your scrap heap come from? I want some to add to the various bits of junk on my layout.

Hi David - thanks for the comments! As I mentioned to Brinkly above they're mostly claimed from old Cararama type cars that I've bought for other projects and then 'scrapped' for the wheels. I'm sure there must be a military or bus bits manufacturer that makes packs of tyres separately but I've not come across any yet. S-Kits do a bag of whitemetal junk that I think includeds some tyres as well as things like cookers and so on. I'll do a bit of Googling when I finish off this post and report back on what I find.

Over the last few weeks there hasn't been much progress on the layout - trying to find a job and doing a few bits of modelling projects unrelated to Roath have taken priority. The bits I have done have mainly been tearing up little areas I've not been happy with and redoing them, mostly focusing on the terraced house end of the layout. After a long period of sitting as empty sheels, I have however started to paint the houses, glaze and add the curtains, put the roof on, tile it, secure them, weather it, add the chimey and drink a dirty great whiskey at the end of it.

Quite a while back (I think on the previous version of the forum) I showed some laser cut tiles that York Modelmakers did for me to match the size of the tiles I need. Having finally been able to use these over a large area and I'm completely sold - there's no join lines that you get with the Wills sheets and I'm not left a dribbling mess that I would be if I tried to do each tile individually. Here's the first sheets worth added and to put my second point into perspective this is about 1200 tiles worth out of the 40000 that I reckon I'll need in total... :blink:

dscf2527.jpg

The tiles on the maine roof are in their virgin state, whilst the ones on the rear extension have been my test peice to try and get the satin finish of real slate tiles. Having mess around wtih a few methods I've found the best is to add a dollop of runny superglue onto the top and move it all over with your finger. Once it's cured it's everyso slightly glossy so a quick wash of weathering powders and thinners makes the nooks and crannies matt but leaves a nice effect of the tile faces. If anyones interested then I'll do a proper write up. I still need to work out how to do some lead flashing and also add the guttering and chimneys but it's quite nice to have a roof line at last!

OMS - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wfYFnpb2zOo

Pix

Pix

This is a Cardiff City FC shirt suitable for your era (circa 1971).

Modelled by yours truly at South Rusilip, en-route to Wembley (again !) 22nd. May, 2010 for the Championship Play-Off Final and also by Derek 'Danny' Showers & Willie Anderson seen here after Showers scored against Notts Forest.

The 'silk' scarf you have would be early 70s as they were the rage for a few years

I've dug into my bag of football momentos, and my Cardiff City 'silk' scarves are long gone, the only 'silk' one I have left is one I 'acquired' outside Edgar St. when my 'second team' Newport County played there one year, in front of 17,000+, Hereford Utd being the leaders of the then 4th. Division and County were second in the table.

Does this have much to do with Roath ?

As for students, you must remember there were far fewer students attending 'uni' in the early 70s compared to now, so students were not such a common sight in the Roath/Cathays areas.

Brian

post-1599-017848600 1287525630_thumb.jpg

post-1599-035874000 1287525756_thumb.jpg

post-1599-088653100 1287525809_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pix

This is a Cardiff City FC shirt suitable for your era (circa 1971).

Modelled by yours truly at South Rusilip, en-route to Wembley (again !) 22nd. May, 2010 for the Championship Play-Off Final and also by Derek 'Danny' Showers & Willie Anderson seen here after Showers scored against Notts Forest.

The 'silk' scarf you have would be early 70s as they were the rage for a few years

I've dug into my bag of football momentos, and my Cardiff City 'silk' scarves are long gone, the only 'silk' one I have left is one I 'acquired' outside Edgar St. when my 'second team' Newport County played there one year, in front of 17,000+, Hereford Utd being the leaders of the then 4th. Division and County were second in the table.

Does this have much to do with Roath ?

As for students, you must remember there were far fewer students attending 'uni' in the early 70s compared to now, so students were not such a common sight in the Roath/Cathays areas.

Brian

And some of them were still proud to wear their uni scarves and ride bikes!

• 2 months later...

Archived