Roath, Cardiff

Pixie

Modelling - I remember that!

Afternoon all,

After a relatively long dry-spell I've finally been able to have a bit of 'down-time' at home so I can get the creative juices flowing again. If I'm honest, I've missed it. I find messing around with wig makers hair, sea foam and scatter quite theraputic, especially when you've got something decent to listen to in the background. So, armed with a fistful of my favourite albums I've turned my attention to Roaths 'warehouse' board which has been largely fallen behind with progress while I've been pushing on with the 'terraced house' boards.

It's been a case of more of the same - overgrown greenery, underlay grass, etc, etc so this makes for quite a boring update. The shot below shows the work in progress, the patch to the left is almost there whilst the area to the right is still in the first stages. I've also had the chance to mock up the large warehouse in the background which I hope to get built over Christmas. I'm starting to build up a collection of inspiration photos to work from so it's just a case of getting planning. Watch this space...

dscf1395.jpg

I quite like the next shot - trying to imagine it finished with the warehouse in place and the running lines all finished and weathered in is a bit of much needed motivation.

dscf1400.jpg

Also had the chance to put together my first Chiver MDV - a superb kit all round and the only bits I'm going to add to wine are the horizontals connecting the brake shoes and then a few of the other pipes associated with the brake gear (yet to be added on this one). I need to convince myself that I don't need a rake of 30 of them though...

dscf1406c.jpg

On a side note I've decided to shift my ramblings over to the more traditional thread style - I quite like the blog idea but it's just not for me. smile.gif

Boomshanka,

Pix

Pix.

For a yard like Roath I don't think you'd need a rake of MDV's

If you're having a coal yard, some unfitted MDO's may suffice with more MCO's.

Local at that time was the "Roath & Wellfield Coal Co." who circa 1978 purchased one of the former East Moors NBL 0-6-0DH locos made redundant by the closure of East Moors steelwaorks. Just what they intended to do with the loco I don't know - but it languished at canton for ages, before being offered for sale circa 1983. IIRC it was scrapped by Woodhams,

However, following on from our recent correspondence......

Roath Goods Yard (later Cardiff, Newport Road) served the Cardiff & Newport Wagon Co. wagon repair works, and the GWR Private Siding Agreement changed, in 1931 to Marcroft Wagons.

The PSA with Marcroft was terminated in 1971, no wagons having been delivered after 1st. September, 1971.

But, Marcroft had one building adjacent to their repair shops which was a "steel wagons repair shed" which could justify the visits of some lone wagons of an esoteric nature to Roath, such as your MDV (with the requisite "to work within South Wales & Monmouthsire only" branding.

The line south of Roath or Newport Road Goods Yard to Dock Storage North (near Tidal) was closed 24th. January, 1972.

Brian R

Evening Brian,

Thanks for the reply - as ever with your posts I feel a little more enlightened. cool.gif

I'm working on the princple that Roath itself is mostly for general merchandise handling, although some other traffics (such as coal and a little steel) do pass through the yard on the way to/from Radyr. As you rightly say the MDVs wouldn't be used on such traffic as they're more akin to Power Station flows, however I was planning to use the 'green card' reasoning that you mention below. It's the same plan to be able to justify a couple of the South Wales allocated Presflos once Bachmann bring their model out. Although the theory is decent I don't really want to have too many off piste vehicles on display at any time as it kinda ruins the 'everyday' feel of the layout.

I'm really keen to try and be prototypical as possible with the traffic flows on Roath and the information from yourself and Hywel has been invaluable in doing so. It's thoroughly appreciated!

OMS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvqkwvA9i4Q

Pix

Neil / Pixie

I've attached three shots of a local flavour, all taken on my then trusty Zenit B and on Ilford FP4 monochrome film, care of my then employer South Glam C.C. which dates the shots as between July 1974 - May 1979.

No.1 shows Tyndall St. Crossing Signal Box taken after the closure of the 'box and East Moors steelworks, which was out of shot to the left. To locate the 'box by today's landscape, it would be underneath the bridge that carries Tyndall St over the Long Dyke Jct - Cardiff Rod Mill line. At the time of the photo I was doing a survey in connection with a proposed relieving sewer which would tie in with the Ystradyfodwg & Pontypridd foul sewer that flowed toward an outfall somewhere in the Bristol Channel. The Cardiff Rod Mill was built directly behind the 'box. I returned the following day - equipped to salvage the 'box nameplate intending to lovingly preserve it, and someone else had had it away !

No.2 shows Llandaff (for Whitchurch) looking in the down (Cardiff) direction from a point opposite the 'box. Notice the banner repeater for the down main starter on the left. The line to the far left was left in place to serve College Road coal yard formerly Roath Branch Jct. q.v. without interfering with traffic on the up/down main. The bracket is for (i) up main and (ii) Llandaff Loop to Radyr Quarry Jct. giving access to the down end of Radyr Yard. The skittle alley of "The Royal Exchange" is on the far right, and my trusty Mini Clubman YTX551H takes centre stage - it had 108,000 on the clock when I parted with it in late '79. I have a shot of City of Truro at this spot, and was on duty the night the 'box was switched out for the last time, having parked my panda at this spot.

No.3 shows Roath Branch Jct. looking in the down (Cardiff) direction from College Road bridge, outside 'The Crown Hotel'. Viriamu Jones Junior School in the background was where six of us made fools of ourselves at an Urdd Eisteddfod performing a recitation entitled 'Traeth y pigyn' representing Peter Lea Junior School !!!

Brian

post-1599-12583292875597_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12583293100419_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12583293220969_thumb.jpg

They're superb Brian, thanks! Please feel free to share anymore that you've got. Would you mind if I used the last one of Roath Jct on the front of the layout?

The first photo is also interesting as Tyndall Street goods depot has been the focus of a lot of my attention recently while on the hunt for some inspiration for Roath's warehouse. I'd love to include a slightly modified version of it on the layout but as it's LNWR built it might look a bit out of place in a TVR-based yard. Still, that's another quest for another thread...

A truly momentus night tonight with the completion of a humble 16t mineral. Although this might not seem much of an achievement in itself, this is the first time in 5 years of trying have I finished a mineral wagon which I'm vagularly happy with the weathering of. Luckily the only layout will on need about 5 or 6 of them other wise I might just lose it!

dscf1417z.jpg

Time for a well deserved beer....

Pix

Bri, what memmories!!

The yard just across the road from where we lived! Spent hours sneaking about there as a kid!

Went to VJ school in std 3 as Gabalfa was full, then onto Eggy Wen when we moved into the Police houses nearby!

Used to hang about Llandaff for Whitchurch to, rememeber when the buildings were all there even some of the totems etc!

And the box! Spent quite a bit of time in and out of there, one of the signalmen used to make Kitmaster kits, and they were lovely indeed! All the bits worked and recall being impressed. He used to weight them with lead strips from detonators!

There was quite a gapin VJ's fence, and rather than fight the 'welshies' (from Bryn Taff next door) we would sneak into the 'trucks' and play hide and seek! etc etc etc.

great days, great memmories, Pix and Bri, keep them coming!!!!!

Neil / Pixie

I've attached three shots of a local flavour, all taken on my then trusty Zenit B and on Ilford FP4 monochrome film, care of my then employer South Glam C.C. which dates the shots as between July 1974 - May 1979.

No.1 shows Tyndall St. Crossing Signal Box taken after the closure of the 'box and East Moors steelworks, which was out of shot to the left. To locate the 'box by today's landscape, it would be underneath the bridge that carries Tyndall St over the Long Dyke Jct - Cardiff Rod Mill line. At the time of the photo I was doing a survey in connection with a proposed relieving sewer which would tie in with the Ystradyfodwg & Pontypridd foul sewer that flowed toward an outfall somewhere in the Bristol Channel. The Cardiff Rod Mill was built directly behind the 'box. I returned the following day - equipped to salvage the 'box nameplate intending to lovingly preserve it, and someone else had had it away !

No.2 shows Llandaff (for Whitchurch) looking in the down (Cardiff) direction from a point opposite the 'box. Notice the banner repeater for the down main starter on the left. The line to the far left was left in place to serve College Road coal yard formerly Roath Branch Jct. q.v. without interfering with traffic on the up/down main. The bracket is for (i) up main and (ii) Llandaff Loop to Radyr Quarry Jct. giving access to the down end of Radyr Yard. The skittle alley of "The Royal Exchange" is on the far right, and my trusty Mini Clubman YTX551H takes centre stage - it had 108,000 on the clock when I parted with it in late '79. I have a shot of City of Truro at this spot, and was on duty the night the 'box was switched out for the last time, having parked my panda at this spot.

No.3 shows Roath Branch Jct. looking in the down (Cardiff) direction from College Road bridge, outside 'The Crown Hotel'. Viriamu Jones Junior School in the background was where six of us made fools of ourselves at an Urdd Eisteddfod performing a recitation entitled 'Traeth y pigyn' representing Peter Lea Junior School !!!

Brian

Hi Bri

Brian T here, sorry to interject..(.thats easy for me) to say,i didn't realise you had any shots from College Road Bridge ,as you know spent most saturday mornings when i was about 8 or 9 on the bridge or down in Queenies field next door ,the driver and fireman would climb down from their 56xx or 41 tank for a chat while waiting for the arm to go down so they could proceed down the Roath branch, the ballast was so high there that the driving wheels seemed huge and towering , mind you Iwas only 8 or 9.

Just up the branch from that spot and before the Gabalfa Bridge there were 2 water cranes side by side ?? by the "Clay Mine" we called it , got chased by a Pannier tank which took us by surprise while walking by the track looking for newts in the track drainage ditch, the driver was going banannas .

Ah well back to the pipe and slippers.............carry on everybody zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Spent many a happy hour in Queenies field as well! Used to try and 'race' the 37's and the 16 tonners as they squealed along, fantastic, then would happily wait for the next train by chucking stones across to the lads on the other side!!rolleyes.gif

Best memory, laying in bed in the early hours, listening to the Dave Fenning (?) rock show on RTE 2 after John Peel and listening to the clang of buffers, carried on the night air from Radyr!

sniff sniff sniff!blush.gif

I also forgot to mention the young lady who used to put on a show for me from her bedroom window as I watched from the car park, then cycled home or walked along the tracks before hopping over the fence at queenies!

Got chased one night by a load of 'Llandaffies' as they had sussed out i had taken one of their women!! lolbiggrin.gif

ohhh for a time machine!! SUPERB!!

THANKS PIX! it's not all about models is it!!!!!!wink.gif

Fella's

Despite having a number of B & W shots of such diverse boxes as Tondu, Tondu Ogmore Jct. Rhoose, Barry Island etc during the mid 70s - my scanner is U/S since I had computer problems, and don't have the relevant disk to re-boot it (Epson 4400 Perfection).

As a result I'm a bit limited to what I can post as attachments.

However, sticking with the mid 70s and odd locations, here are three shots taken with Wifey's Instamatic (she was my girlfriend then) when we came across 08589 'in the dirt'.

The shunter was returning from the Queen Alexandra Dock to the Cardiff Rod Mill when it de-railed near the former GWR Dock Engineer's Workshops.

(Circa 1990 I photographed the bodies of the GWR wartime emergency pump train wagons grounded near here as featured in one of Jim Russell's OPC works - again, not yet scanned)

The location of the derailment is just about where the roundabout is located at the bottom of the 'Central Link Road' and the east end of the Butetown Tunnels.

In photo 3 you can see the two blocks of ( Loudoun House & Nelson House ) in Loudoun Sq. in the distance, in front of the loco

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread Pix

Brian

post-1599-12584126542273_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12584126642427_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12584126759137_thumb.jpg

Sorry about hi-jacking your thread Pix

As ever Brian there's no need to apologise - please keep them coming! Tales and memories really help build up a picture of the goings on at the time whcih makes building the model easier. I've never really been one for cameos but there have been endless amounts of small details mentioned over the last 18 month that I'd like to include on the layout I must be careful not to make it look too busy.

On a side note - did you ever any find photos of youself in '1971-condition', complete with the cherry red Doc Martins?

Pix

Pix, good cameo........a gangly 16 year old sat astride a raleigh sit up and beg bike (old mans police bike), wearing prince of wales check patch pockets (google them!!), lemon yellow shirt, navy and yellow tank top and green parka complete with rabbit fur around the hood!

Duffel bag with note book, combine, ABC, heading from the canal to Radyr yard, returning home via said young ladies house to enjoy her old mans bottled Brains ipa and enjoying sins of the flesh!

You got to have a chippy in there somewhere as well, Clarkes pies (what else??!!) and a bottle of Zing, preferably the red one!!!

"...... Clarkes pies (what else??!!)........... "

As he's modelling Roath, which is on "the other side of town" to you and me Neil, perhaps he ought to model "Coombe's Pasties" (Broadway).

They were a welcome change from Clarke's Pies for Ely CID many, many years ago.

Then came the steak pies from Alan Rees the butcher, Cowbridge Road East near Lionel Road. !!!

Then came an enlarged waistline !!!

How about Lowe's 'pop' ?

Combined with perhaps some Heinz 'Sandwich Spread' sarnies, these could be the contents of the bags of the two young men seen admiring 'noddy' D2144 and the recently transferred D7625 at Canton Open Day 7th. November, 1970 ?

Brian

As for 7625 my notes say :- ".... The first six machines were ex Holbeck in early November, 1970, with at least one on display at the Canton Open Day 7th. November. These were 5179-82 and 7624/25, intended for working the Lydney and Parkend branches, Pontypool Road and the iron ore workings between Newport Docks and Ebbw Vale / Llanwern. The Parkend branch saw as many as three daily ballast trips on a good day......... "

post-1599-12585247346319_thumb.jpg

Getting back to reality - and memories, from some notes I have to hand here is a breakdown of Pilot (shunter) diagrams in the Cardiff area during the summer of 1967 - a bit early for Pixie's era, but just look at some of the jobs involved.

Canton based

Cl.14 Trips Barry / Barry Docks / Radyr Yard

Cl.14 Trips Newtown Yard / Ely Paper Mill / Radyr Yard

Cl.14 Trips Penarth Town / Penarth Cement Works.

Cl.08 Canton Carriage Shed & Sidings Pilot

Cl.08 Cardiff General Passenger Pilot

Cl.08 Cardiff General Passenger & Parcels Pilot

Cl.08 Cardiff General Parcels Pilot

Total:- 7 duties

To stable Radyr

Cl.08 Radyr Yard (North End) Pilot

Cl.08 Radyr Yard (Top End) Pilot

Cl.08 Radyr Quarry Jct. Sidings Pilot

Cl.08 Cathays C & W Pilot

Cl.14 Trips to Aber Jct.

Cl.14 Trips to Cathays C & W / Gabalfa Coal Yard / Stanton & Staveley

Cl.14 Trips to Treforest Coal Yard / Maritime Colliery & Pontypridd.

Cardiff Docks

All Cl.08

To stable Windsor Road

Metropolitan Road (East Moors)

Top of Bute East Dock

Dowlais & GKN East Moors works

Dowlais Steelworks

Trips to Newtown Yard / Pengam Yard / Tidal Sidings

Newtown Goods Shed West End (Down) Pilot

Newtown Goods Shed East End (Up) Pilot

Newtown Yard East End Pilot No.1

Newtown Yard East End Pilot No.2

Pengam yard transfer Pilot

Long Dyke Yard transfer Pilot

Total:- 11 duties

To stable Roath Dock

Empire Wharf

Roath Dock North Side Pilot No.1

Roath Dock North Side Pilot No.2

Queen Alexandra Dock Pilot

Total:- 3 duties

To stable Roath Basin

Roath Basin (East Side) Pilot

To stable Tidal Sidings

Cardiff Docks Marshalling Sidings Pilot No.1

Cardiff Docks Marshalling Sidings Pilot No.2

Tidal Sidings trips to St. Mellons

Tidal Sidings trips to Pengam Yard.

Total:- 4 duties

Pix, good cameo........a gangly 16 year old sat astride a raleigh sit up and beg bike (old mans police bike), wearing prince of wales check patch pockets (google them!!), lemon yellow shirt, navy and yellow tank top and green parka complete with rabbit fur around the hood!

Duffel bag with note book, combine, ABC, heading from the canal to Radyr yard, returning home via said young ladies house to enjoy her old mans bottled Brains ipa and enjoying sins of the flesh!

That's my kinda cameo - none of this houses on fire, policemen/robber or twee nonsense wink.gif I keep meaning to put out (no pun intended) a thread about peoples memories as students in the early 70's - if Roath's anything like it is now then it would have been rammed with them.

You got to have a chippy in there somewhere as well, Clarkes pies (what else??!!) and a bottle of Zing, preferably the red one!!!

For the two retail spaces available I'm currently learning towards a laundrette (there's one in Cathays that hasn't changed since the 60's I swear!) and a paper shop, complete with suitable period magazines sourced from ebay. A chip shop would certainly be a nice idea - perhaps I could it one in over the back.

As he's modelling Roath, which is on "the other side of town" to you and me Neil, perhaps he ought to model "Coombe's Pasties" (Broadway).

The hardest part of creating models such as Coombes is finding a photo of the original shop - they just don't seem to be out there. I guess I should really spend an afternoon next summer going round the area doing a photo survey of the general area, to help tip the balance. It might all be a bit 'boring' now but it'll be useful if someone fancies doing Roath 2009 in 30 years time. Clarkes Pies is useful as I don't think the signage has changed for a good while.

BTW - Brian - Saw this and thought of you http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cardiff-City-v-Real-Madrid-1971-ECWC-Pennant_W0QQitemZ180433201382QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Flags?hash=item2a02a828e6 Perhaps another item for the front of the layout....

Pix

Getting back to reality - and memories, from some notes I have to hand here is a breakdown of Pilot (shunter) diagrams in the Cardiff area during the summer of 1967 - a bit early for Pixie's era, but just look at some of the jobs involved.

Canton based

Cl.14 Trips Barry / Barry Docks / Radyr Yard

Cl.14 Trips Newtown Yard / Ely Paper Mill / Radyr Yard

Cl.14 Trips Penarth Town / Penarth Cement Works.

Cl.08 Canton Carriage Shed & Sidings Pilot

Cl.08 Cardiff General Passenger Pilot

Cl.08 Cardiff General Passenger & Parcels Pilot

Cl.08 Cardiff General Parcels Pilot

To stable Radyr

Cl.08 Radyr Yard (North End) Pilot

Cl.08 Radyr Yard (Top End) Pilot

Cl.08 Radyr Quarry Jct. Sidings Pilot

Cl.08 Cathays C & W Pilot

Cl.14 Trips to Aber Jct.

Cl.14 Trips to Cathays C & W / Gabalfa Coal Yard / Stanton & Staveley

Cl.14 Trips to Treforest Coal Yard / Maritime Colliery & Pontypridd.

Cardiff Docks

All Cl.08

To stable Windsor Road

Metropolitan Road (East Moors)

Top of Bute East Dock

Dowlais & GKN East Moors works

Dowlais Steelworks

Trips to Newtown Yard / Pengam Yard / Tidal Sidings

Newtown Goods Shed West End (Down) Pilot

Newtown Goods Shed East End (Up) Pilot

Newtown Yard East End Pilot No.1

Newtown Yard East End Pilot No.2

Pengam yard transfer Pilot

Long Dyke Yard transfer Pilot

Total:- 11 duties

To stable Roath Dock

Empire Wharf

Roath Dock North Side Pilot No.1

Roath Dock North Side Pilot No.2

Queen Alexandra Dock Pilot

Total:- 3 duties

To stable Roath Basin

Roath Basin (East Side) Pilot

To stable Tidal Sidings

Cardiff Docks Marshalling Sidings Pilot No.1

Cardiff Docks Marshalling Sidings Pilot No.2

Tidal Sidings trips to St. Mellons

Tidal Sidings trips to Pengam Yard.

Total:- 4 duties

That seems to be almost as many shunter duties for one shed as there are for the entire network today. Presumably there would have also been shunter diagrams for Llantrisant, Barry, and doubtless other locations?

Where was Penarth Cement Works? On the way to Lavernock?

That seems to be almost as many shunter duties for one shed as there are for the entire network today. Presumably there would have also been shunter diagrams for Llantrisant, Barry, and doubtless other locations?

Where was Penarth Cement Works? On the way to Lavernock?

Brian,

Penarth Cement Works was on the Penarth - Cadoxton line via Lower Penarth, Lavernock and Swanbridge and located twixt Lower Penarth and Lavernock. It employed a few standard gauge industrials over the years, last being some JF 0-4-0DM's. It was linked to the neighbouring quarries by a 2'6" narrow gauge line that lasted until around 1967 and at it's end employed three JF 0-6-0DM locos that had been built for the West African 'groundnuts' scheme.

I recall seeing one from the top deck of a Western Welsh 'bus as it crossed the road to the works circa 1966.

The quarries were flooded and now form the Cosmeston Country Park.

I have the details of the locos if you are interested.

As for Llantrisant, during the summer of '67 it had two shunter duties

Llantrisant Yard Pilot

Llantrisant Goods Shed Pilot.

One or t'other would undertake trips to Llanharry (haemetite mine)

NB 'Ben Truck' of "Ranson's Bridge" was a good friend of the late Bob Ranson from this neck of the woods, and passed me a shot of Bob's showing one of the LTS pilots stabled outside LTS shed alongside some "six-eighters" taken circa 1967.

Barry

All Cl.08 except where shown

Barry High Level Pilot No.1

Barry High Level Pilot No.2

Barry No.2 Dock No.1 Pilot

Barry No.2 Dock No.2 Pilot

Barry Storage Sidings Pilot

Barry East Dock Pilot

Cl.14 Trips to Rhoose / Aberthaw (both cement works)

Until the mid-60s and their move to Stourbridge Jct and then Derby (after withdrawl) the BR (WR) 0-6-0DE shunters in the 15101 series were familiar on the Barry Dock pilot duties, and also some Radyr duties.

Now in the land of the 'Turks' (sorry Bri, couldn't resist it)

Llanelly sic (couldn't resist that either)

Cl.08 Llanelly goods & passenger pilot (occasionally Cl.03)

Cl.08 Llanelly trips to Cynheidre Colliery

Cl.08 Llanelly Old Castle Sidings & Sandy (to stable Old Castle)

Cl.08 Llandeilo Jct. Yard Downside pilot

Cl.08 Llandeilo Jct. Yard Upaside pilot

Cl.08 Llandeilo Jct. Yard hump pilot.

Cl.03 Cwm Mawr branch pilot (may stable Burry Port)

Cl.03 Cwm Mawr branch banker (may stable Burry Port)

Cl.03 Burry Port Yard pilot (stables Burry Port)

Also

Cl.08 Pantyffynon

Cl.03 Carmarthen goods pilot

Cl.03 Carmarthen passenger pilot

Cl.03 Haverfordwest goods shed pilot

Cl.03 Whitland

Cl.03 Fishguard Harbour

Going back to Cardiff, and Radyr in particular, five years later the six radyr pilots covered:-

Radyr Yard ( Top End ) Pilot

Radyr Quarry Jct. Sidings Pilot

*****Radyr, trips to Ely Paper Mill/Penarth Curve (Virgil St. coal depot) and Ferry Rd. branch. *******

Radyr, trips to Roath Branch Jct.

radyr, trips to Cathays C & W

Radyr, trips to Treforest coal yard & Pontypridd.

Phew !

***** The Ferry Rd. et al trip would pass my 'Alma Mater' in the early 70s every morning just after eleven, heading for Radyr. It regularly loaded up to 50 slu and the throb of the shunter would disturb our studies long before it hove into view .... at little better than walking pace.

By summer 1969 the same trip was in the hands of officially withdrawn Cl.14 'Teddy Bears' that were stored at Canton, but still in everyday use. The last examples were allegedly taken out of traffic on 3rd. May, 1969 but they continued running trips around Cardiff until December, 1969 . . . . . but you won't find that in any 'mags' or 'books' The final two D9509 (withdrawn 09/11/68) & D9535 (withdrawn 25/01/69) were actually last used on PW work on the 'North & West'between Craven Arms and Hereford, as late as April, 1970.

And finally

".... BTW - Brian - Saw this and thought of you http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2a02a828e6 Perhaps another item for the front of the layout...."

Pixie, as a dyed in the wool 'Bluebird' who has been to Wembley on 50% of the occasions Cardiff City have played there ( the other matches were in 1925 & 1927, so I listened in on the BBC Home Service instead) the March 1971 Ninian Park beating of Real Madrid is, in my mind, the greatest footballing experience ever - and who better to score the winner than the greatest 'gentleman' ever to don a blue shirt, Brian Clarke.

Brian R

One reason why I never bought a Ford Sierra - if the top end of a lumbering "08" is under 20mph, and a Sierra is left in its' wake . . . . . .

Seriously, moving south from the point where 08589 derailed (in a previous post) we come to Roath Dock Swingbridge which crossed the Roath Basin Inner Lock.

In the photo we are looking north and the Cl.08 is heading from the (ASW) Cardiff Rod Mill to the Queen Alexandra Dock to collect empty wagons that had conveyed export coil to the dock. This route closed circa 1990 when such traffic was diverted to a new loop at "Splott Jct." near Tidal Sidings where the pilot ran around and then travelled via the former "South East Jct." - "Roath Dock South S.B." and "Communication Passage Swingbridge" in order to reach the "Q.A. Dock".

Behind the Cl.08 are the former GWR Dock Engineers Central Workshops, slightly away to the right would have been the former Cardiff East Dock shed and "Stonefield Jct."

To the left of the loco is the "Roath Basin" and to the right "Roath Dock" the latter is still in use.

Over my left shoulder were the remains of a patent fuel works.

If my memory serves me correct - the loco may be 08190

Brian

post-1599-12587137316159_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Neil / Pixie

No.2 shows Llandaff (for Whitchurch) looking in the down (Cardiff) direction from a point opposite the 'box. Notice the banner repeater for the down main starter on the left. The line to the far left was left in place to serve College Road coal yard formerly Roath Branch Jct. q.v. without interfering with traffic on the up/down main. The bracket is for (i) up main and (ii) Llandaff Loop to Radyr Quarry Jct. giving access to the down end of Radyr Yard.

Brian

Not quite Brian :) It is indeed Llandaff, it is definitely post mid-1973 because the 'branch' to College Road was singled in July of that year, but then you've gone slightly wrong. The bracket signal is for Up Main (left hand arm as seen in your view) and the short right hand arm is for Up Main to Up Relief. The single line - as it was from 1965 - from Radyr Quarry to Llandaff Loop was unidirectional for Down trains only as the only access to it by then (after 1971 in fact) was from the Down Yard at Radyr.

"...... It is indeed Llandaff, it is definitely post mid-1973 because the 'branch' to College Road was singled in July of that year, but then you've gone slightly wrong. The bracket signal is for Up Main (left hand arm as seen in your view) and the short right hand arm is for Up Main to Up Relief. The single line - as it was from 1965 - from Radyr Quarry to Llandaff Loop was unidirectional for Down trains only as the only access to it by then (after 1971 in fact) was from the Down Yard at Radyr............ "

Mike,

I have to bow to your superior knowledge sir !

I can more accurately date the photo of Llandaff (for Whitchurch) as between August 1978 and May 1979. I didn't pass my driving test until 1976, and bought the Mini Clubman from a 'bloke' in Skewen for ??200 in August 1978, prior to moving to my marital home in Beddau the following month.

Gave it away in the end, with 108,000 on the clock, running on three cylinders, a huge mushroom under the drivers seat and Tesco bag to keep the water off the distributor (anyone who ever owned a Mini will know about the last point).

Brian

• RMweb Gold

"...... It is indeed Llandaff, it is definitely post mid-1973 because the 'branch' to College Road was singled in July of that year, but then you've gone slightly wrong. The bracket signal is for Up Main (left hand arm as seen in your view) and the short right hand arm is for Up Main to Up Relief. The single line - as it was from 1965 - from Radyr Quarry to Llandaff Loop was unidirectional for Down trains only as the only access to it by then (after 1971 in fact) was from the Down Yard at Radyr............ "

Mike,

I have to bow to your superior knowledge sir !

Brian

Somebody very kindly paid me a not unreasonable salary to acquire it B) - spending most of 1973 as Asst Area Manager at Radyr.

However the back end of that year I was at Swansea High St for a while and your mention of Minis reminded me that I spent most of a Sunday up at Radyr using some borrowed tools trying to sort out one of the Swansea Area's Minis which I was using as my transport while making a few bob at weekends still covering some work at Radyr.

Mike

As you were working in (take's deep breath....) Swansea, here are two shots I took on one of my dutiful weekend jaunts to visit the 'mother in law' who then lived in Oystermouth.

I won't identify the location, but I'm sure you'll recognise it.

BTW the locos are 08658 + 08659 (IIRC)

Brian R

post-1599-12587982820751_thumb.jpg

post-1599-12587982925653_thumb.jpg

Mike

As you were working in (take's deep breath....) Swansea, here are two shots I took on one of my dutiful weekend jaunts to visit the 'mother in law' who then lived in Oystermouth.

I won't identify the location, but I'm sure you'll recognise it.

BTW the locos are 08658 + 08659 (IIRC)

Brian R

The bridge carries Fabian Way, doesn't it (the road being named after neither a Roman emperor or a early '60s pop star, but a local family)?. The box in the background is King's Dock, whilst Burrows Sidings are behind the photographer in the first photo. These days, only a single track runs under the bridge and beyond.

The line curving to the right before the bridge ran along the north side of Fabian Way, serving Marcroft's wagon works at Port Tennant, before heading off towards Llansamlet and Morriston. Part belonged to the Rhondda and Swansea Bay before Grouping, serving their terminus at Riverside.

Archived