Animation

• RMweb Gold

The late Martin Brent did some animated figures on his gauge 0 layout arcadia. How he did it was written up in the modeller probably about 2000. I have seen others but can't remember them.

Don

• RMweb Premium

This was also being discussed here a few days ago http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/31528-animation-on-layouts/

Although it originally started out as a request for the Dave Rowe book, it developed with more information about what is available and it might help to look there as well.

Mike

Thanks to everyone who has replied. The opening toilet door animation is from Veissman and I've just received one from Gaugemaster - finally found it hidden in the depths of their website. Better than expected as it comes with a choice of people to sit on the loo!

Try any of the shops that sell continental stuff. I think Gaugemasters and Model Masters had the Veissmann stuff at Model Rail Scotland. They do produce a lot of the wee animated scenes you are talking about. Men drinking, workmen moving etc. Faller also do a variety of kits with motorised elements. I have a road roller, a bulldozer and even a wee man on a lawnmower that trundles all over his garden to build and put into a layout.

On a somewhat grander scale, we put a lot of homemade animations into our HOn30 layout, Walker Falls. Guys sawing, painting and hammering, windows opening, toilet door etc. We used standard RC servos linked into a DMX digital system to control each one. They even tie into the soundtrack as well!

• 8 years later...
  • Administrators
4 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Wasn’t there a Dutch layout on this forum a while ago, featuring an animated cyclist riding along the road? 

There are several - the system is called Magnorail. I tested it a few years ago.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a good book called “Animated Scale Models Handbook” by Adolf Frank that has lots of ideas. Some of its contents are a bit out of date as they would be easier to do with modern electronics and servos, however it’s a good read and has some fun projects. Used to be quite hard to find but a quick check out there showed several available at reasonable prices.