Tim's painting and weathering workbench

B17's look good Tim, what about Liverpool.  I have the name plates for that, but need to get some BR numbers (last 2 digits anyway).

I like the look of the D11 too.  I have the NRM Butler Henderson, could weather that.  Am tempted by the BR D11/1 to change to Ypres or Jutland.  What I'd really like is a D10 62654 Walter Burgh Gair, only because his part of the family.  So will wait till next years announcements or a kit bash is happening.

Mark

B17's look good Tim, what about Liverpool.  I have the name plates for that, but need to get some BR numbers (last 2 digits anyway).

I like the look of the D11 too.  I have the NRM Butler Henderson, could weather that.  Am tempted by the BR D11/1 to change to Ypres or Jutland.  What I'd really like is a D10 62654 Walter Burgh Gair, only because his part of the family.  So will wait till next years announcements or a kit bash is happening.

Mark

Thanks Mark :).  I know for a fact that Gilbert will not be wanting Liverpool under any circumstance!  Pity, but it's all this tribal stuff I don't understand about :angel: .

There is another D11/1 waiting in the wings that will gain a correct pattern chimney for a loco in BR condition.  This is a casting produced by Graeme King and very nice it is too.  I do have my own Butler Henderson to do as well, but that will be given a different name for a 1922/3 built machine, owing to the self-trimming tender it has.

• 7 months later...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the LMS Compound. Tom, Yours and Tim's weathering is similar, as are you names......Small wonder I'm confused in my old age! :)

Thanks Larry!  I'd completely forgotten to update the thread with the Compound, which I must have finished back in June if memory serves me correctly.  I'll have to find the pics and stick them up here.  There's a 5th B17 to finish next (since Gilbert has more than just a liking for them) and a Midland 4F too.  I'm hoping I find time to do one or two things for myself fairly soon, but there's a small backlog to clear first before I have any thought of that.....

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

A small update, of sorts...  Since I've done the painting and lining on it, it seems the most logical place is to place it here, instead of creating a new topic for it.  I've been working on a pair of BSOs, cut-n-shut from various Bachmann sides, for a little while now but only really had a chance to get one of them to a stage I can call finished fairly recently.

post-6712-0-57409500-1392931650_thumb.jpg

BR coaching stock maroon can be a difficult colour to find a suitable match for at times, but Halfords do what I can only call a close match with Ford Burgundy.  I recall first seeing its use in an ancient copy of BRM (1996) in an article by Tony Wright on the Elizabethan.  Looks close enough to my eyes anyway!

I still need to finish filling in the holes left behind by the toilet filler pipes and then paint the thing, but it's otherwise done.

Couple of recently weathered locos to follow next....

• Like 9

A small update, of sorts...  Since I've done the painting and lining on it, it seems the most logical place is to place it here, instead of creating a new topic for it.  I've been working on a pair of BSOs, cut-n-shut from various Bachmann sides, for a little while now but only really had a chance to get one of them to a stage I can call finished fairly recently.

attachicon.gifE9248_R_11423a.jpg

BR coaching stock maroon can be a difficult colour to find a suitable match for at times, but Halfords do what I can only call a close match with Ford Burgundy.  I recall first seeing its use in an ancient copy of BRM (1996) in an article by Tony Wright on the Elizabethan.  Looks close enough to my eyes anyway!

I still need to finish filling in the holes left behind by the toilet filler pipes and then paint the thing, but it's otherwise done.

Couple of recently weathered locos to follow next....

I've done one BSO by residing an SO. How have you done that? It's brilliant- and the profile will be spot on.

Edited by davidw

I've done one BSO by residing an SO. How have you done that? It's brilliantly- and the profile will be spot on.

I took a BCK, stripped it to bare plastic, cut halfway between the last two compartments at one end and just after the second brake window at the other.  The ends are kept and the middle of discarded/put into spares box.  Take a BSK and keep all four compartment windows, leaving enough "meat" after it to make another window pillar to match the other three.  I'll try and get a pic done of the next one to show my cut lines as it's going to be going to the same layout, though will be painted in crimson+cream. :)

• Like 2

I took a BCK, stripped it to bare plastic, cut halfway between the last two compartments at one end and just after the second brake window at the other.  The ends are kept and the middle of discarded/put into spares box.  Take a BSK and keep all four compartment windows, leaving enough "meat" after it to make another window pillar to match the other three.  I'll try and get a pic done of the next one to show my cut lines as it's going to be going to the same layout, though will be painted in crimson+cream. :)

I 'd really like to see more details as I'll need at least four  BSO's.  A crimson+cream and a couple of maroon  from your method  would be very useful...

Edited by davidw

Tim

Does that  match the Bachmann Mark 1 maroon? 

barry O

Hi Barry,

Very nearly.  It's slightly redder than Bachmann's 'muddy' maroon, but good enough when in a rake.  I'm trying to remember what the similar Vauxhall maroon is like, though it's a while since I last used it.

Cheers,

• RMweb Premium

Yes

Bachmann maroon is a strange shade and could do with being slightly lighter/pinky.

I did one of these BSOs years ago out of kitmaster bits.lost it somewhere in house moves etc. It was, compared to other mark 1 stock,built in small numbers. In all my time travelling about in the 1970/1980s I found one once...

The roof detail looks a lot better now that the ribs have gone..

I ought to have posted these two pics last night, but ran out of time...  As detailed in Gilbert's thread, here are two of the latest I've completed for him.  First is 60157 'Great Eastern'.  I've not done that many A1s in my time, but this one was a satisfying job to do.  For a sparkling clean loco such as this, I use T-cut to really buff up the paintwork and lose the rather matt plasticky look as it comes from the box.

post-6712-0-24095900-1393015569_thumb.jpg

My usual procedure is then followed to bring it up to what's seen above.  The B17 below isn't much different to be honest, since I've used exactly the same methods on this one, though done here at home.  As with all B17s I've done for Gilbert, I replace the numberplate with something that is actually the right size.  Neither model, as supplied by Hornby, has anything near to what I'd call a correctly sized numberplate.  The real things were 6" tall and 21" long and these sure as anything weren't anyway near that!

post-6712-0-88358000-1393015644_thumb.jpg

The splashers on this one were the fun part.  The existing area was carefully given two coats of signal red and left to dry for a few days.  To give the distinctive white border, I used 4 of the end sections of white coach lining (split into two) found on HMRS sheet 23, which would normally be found on corporate BR blue and grey liveried coaching stock.  Said lining also works for Strathclyde PTE, but that's another story!

More anon, including the finished BSO and maybe the Fairburn tank that featured right back on page 1; it has gained a new smokebox door and indeed new EM wheelsets.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of a long overdue update....

An interim pic of the latest loco in for a spot of dirt is this rather lovely Hornby D16/3, which has rather given me a few ideas; more of which anon.

post-6712-0-61300400-1443984819_thumb.jpg

Renumbered from the 62530 model, this one is going to end up being a fairly clean-ish March loco.  I've added the extra handrail at the forward end of the tender that appears on a few of the class, thanks to an excellent photo by RC Riley in "Colour of Steam 8; Great Eastern Lines".  There's another photo of this loco, probably taken the same day, in Peter Swinger's book "On Great Eastern Lines".

As for my own plans for getting one of these locos, it'll be a Kings Lynn loco and in P4, but that's all I'm saying for now!

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

Another long overdue update.  The D16 is now ready to head to Peterborough North, with added "in service" dirt.  My own D16 will feature later on, but this one will do for now.

post-6712-0-96055000-1456101927_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-84881800-1456101227_thumb.jpg

Another visitor to the workbench has been this Hornby J50, recently transferred from Hornsey up to New England, so it'll soon end up doing its fair share of work up there, after years toiling in either Ferme Park or acting as a shed pilot....  I have a pair of these myself, but they're awaiting chassis developments. 

post-6712-0-77680400-1456100612_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-63066900-1456101207_thumb.jpg

Both these models have really upped the level of RTR, as far as I'm concerned.  They respond very nicely, too, to minor personalisation and, speaking personally, the detail comes out superbly once weathered.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Update time....  I've had this A2/2 on my workbench for some time now, but I'm pleased to say it's now finished.  Following on from the build thread, here's how things look now.

post-6712-0-19241800-1466722649_thumb.jpg

post-6712-0-54954100-1466722686_thumb.jpg

One of the photos I've worked from is this one here, which I believe is a Keith Pirt one.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/38949371@N04/3659855122

Extra effects include the use of gouache (ivory white) for the limescale streaks and MIG powders for the vast amount of exhaust dirt across the boiler.

I may see about some outdoor images if the weather plays ball tomorrow....

• Like 8

Hi Tim

Hope you're feeling better now?

That A2 looks lovely. I always wince when using white! I don't know why - maybe its because it takes a fair amount of covering up if something doesn't go according to plan!

Cheers

Trev

• 3 years later...

So it's about time there was an update on this thread, seeing as I somehow managed to leave it for over three and a half years.  My display pic might give a clue to the absence, though in fairness, a lot of my recent work has been seen over on Gilbert's Peterborough North thread in that time.

Anyway, here's a Clan, recently completed for Pete Rigby, as part of the Leeds City (North) and Millhouses fleet.  I would have liked to have said that it's was a simple rewheel and weather up, but it really wasn't.  A few snaps, from both big camera and my phone....

72006_0786a.jpg.e2023e4cf7b8a985ee57077de0cc3ce1.jpg

20200207_72006_R.jpg.b20129e84ba148c7fd25a39fd908ffff.jpg

20200207_72006_L1.jpg.6413349ecadde3ec659f574e3c18be09.jpg

Readers might be slightly familiar with the backdrop, which is my soon-to-return layout 'Auchinraith'.  There's a (very) long story as to why it's taken me almost ten years to get it back to being "alive" again, but that's not for here.....

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It looks brilliant Tim. Is the base colour original Hornby? Presumably with varnish/klear/T-cut to bring out the sheen?

When you say re-wheel this confuses me - is the Hornby driving wheel not a better rendition than others available?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

It looks brilliant Tim. Is the base colour original Hornby? Presumably with varnish/klear/T-cut to bring out the sheen?

When you say re-wheel this confuses me - is the Hornby driving wheel not a better rendition than others available?

Thanks Pete!  Yes, exactly that.  On one or two Hornby locos, I have to be ultra careful with the use of T-Cut, especially my own "Scot", which now needs the entire lining replacing, thanks to it falling off at the mere whiff of the stuff.  Had it been a commission, I would have been utterly mortified, so the fact it was my own made it rather less painful, though an absolute PITA!  It's another loco destined for Leeds City North.

Regarding the regauging to EM, doing a Brit or a Clan involves machine tools; specifically a pillar drill/lathe (in vertical format).  Since there isn't a suitable Britannia wheel in 4mm that I like (speaking personally, I'm not much of a fan of Markits wheels; it's a bit of a Marmite subject really....), one is pretty much forced to reuse the Hornby wheels, albeit on new axles.  I've cut these from 3mm silver steel rod and then pressed the wheels onto them, though with the axle holes carefully opened out to accept 3mm axles.  A time-consuming job, but well worth doing.  This is the fourth such chassis I've done this way, having done two Brits for Pete and indeed my own one right at the start (70017 'Arrow', seen a few pages back in this thread), as a proof-of-concept.  I've got one more of these to do for the time being, unless I do another one for myself as a GE-allocated machine in the future.

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Tim  keep IPA (not the beer) and thinners away from Hornby lining as well.. i had to add lines to a loco "professionally" weathered which had excess weathering paint removed using thinners and IPA..not good!!!

Baz

• Informative/Useful 1