Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Index to WF's Workbench - this will be added to/updated as and when I get a chance/remember!

E1 conversion from Mainline J72 (2015)

J24 1860 - Arthur Kimber kit (2015)

NER P7 Hopper, CD. (2015)   (and here, lettered)

1001 class 1093 scratchbuild (2015)

S1 Ironstone hopper (2016)

NER Class 398 scratchbuild (2019)

NER Class 44, conversion from Mainline J72 (2019)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get thing started on here a couple of photos of J26 65763 that was built on the old forum. ( Link to old forum ) It's pretty much finished but needs weathering but I need a good airbrush before that will happen.

Since the last post on the old forum I have glazed the cab spectacles and side windows, added coal and fire irons to the tender and fitted a crew. It also ran without fault on Greyscroft Mine at Shipley.

post-7104-12583065776308_thumb.jpg

And the tender, didn't realise how dusty it was until I looked at the photos.

post-7104-1258306594865_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Something a little different - a Quoits pitch for Greyscroft Mine...

As My layout is set in the Ceveland area of the North Riding of Yorkshire I thought it would be nice to have a Quoits pitch next to the pub (well just over the road) as is the tradition in these parts. Find out more about Quoits HERE, scoll down to 'The Northern Game'.

The base of the model was made from a piece of 2mm card with the 3' square 'boxes' , made from plasticard planking. Track pins were pushed through from below in the centre of the boxes 11 yards apart, these will be the 'Hobs'. The boxes were filled level with filler and painted to represent clay. The Hobs were then cut off to about 1mm above the clay. Back boards were also made from plasticard planking.

post-7104-12586676510152_thumb.jpg

post-7104-1258667673867_thumb.jpg

The rest of the base was then covered with Woodland scenics ground foam scatter to represent mown grass.

post-7104-1258667784139_thumb.jpg

Covers are used to protect the clay when not in use, usually a wood frame with a 'Tin sheet' top.

I made mine from a plasticard frame with SE finecast corrugated sheet for the top.

post-7104-1258667971367_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12586679954945_thumb.jpg

Quoits are 5 1/2" internal diameter and weigh 5 1/2 lb, made from forged steel and I believe still made locally. Mine are from etched washers filed down a little and punched with a home made punch to create the correct dish - 'Hill' and 'Hole'.

post-7104-1258668277392_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12586682949176_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12586683221692_thumb.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A brace of LMS vans...

These two vans are Cambrian kits.

The first is an ex MR D.664. The kit features a 'one piece underframe' but is otherwise pretty straight forward.

post-7104-12599623227407_thumb.jpg

The second is a D.1664 kit (the LMS version of the MR D.664) but modified to a D.1676 ventilated van. The ends have been modified by removing the X bracing and adding ventilator hoods from 20 and 10thou plasticard, based on photos of two of these wagons on pages 37 &38 of Geoff Kent's '4mm wagon' part 2. Correct RCH pattern ribbed buffers (ABS I think) were also fitted.

The ends as they come.

post-7104-12599626915548_thumb.jpg

Ends modified

post-7104-12599627595702_thumb.jpg

Roof ventilators, spare from a Chivers LNER Pigeon van, were fitted. Dimensions were taken from a drawing in Bob Essery's 'Official drawings of LMS wagons vol 2'

post-7104-12599629471762_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The D1676 van body went together well and can be seen during handrail fitting.

post-7104-12609188274141_thumb.jpg

After the van had stood for a few days, well ok over a week, I noticed that the end vents had bowed in. This was rectified by fitting small lengths of 40thou plastic strip under them.

post-7104-12609189616641_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The J26 came up well. Somehow the model makes very clear the continuity of the line of 0-6-0 development, that would finish with the later LNER standard J38 and J39 classes.

I believe that the J38/39 classes were a direct development of the J26/27 and that Gresley did not like them being known as 'improved J27s' when drawn up at Darlington.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much other than Felton Lane work has happened lately, but I have been working on a few wagons.

The LMS D1676 vav has been finished apart for lettering.

post-7104-126834765145_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126834766064_thumb.jpg

While at Doncaster I bought one of the new LNER hoppers from Parkside and this has been put together, it now needs handrails before painting. The second photo shows it beside my Dapol/Bradwell hopper.

post-7104-126834788632_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126834790546_thumb.jpg

Next up is a Chivers LMS 6 wheel fish van. A very good kit (as are all the latest Chiveres kits) but I sprung the centre axle using a strip of brass bolted to the floor over one of the outer axles with an length of tube soldered to the other end to act as a bearing and leaving a little sideplay and vertical springing.

post-7104-126834820834_thumb.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Parkside 7mm LMS ventilated van and finished it in a record 3 days! some of the lettering had to be done by hand as the transfers had given up the ghost and dried up.

post-7104-126834833213_thumb.jpg

I am now (slowly) working on a Connoisseur Models LNER Lowmac L. All the 'rivets' have been pushed out, the floor bent up ant one side prepared.

post-7104-126834861089_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126834862203_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Those vans turned out nicely. Do you mind if I ask who you bough the buffers from? I'm looking for some to improve the look of some Parkside LNER kits.

Hi Hammer,

The buffers are RCH pattern short (for un-fitted wagons). I think they are from 51L (Wizard/MSE), otherwise I think ABS do this type.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. I shall investigate those. I'm hoping to find suitable examples for some fitted and unfitted wagon, because the quality of the Parkside buffers does let them down a wee bit.

I am now (slowly) working on a Connoisseur Models LNER Lowmac L. All the 'rivets' have been pushed out, the floor bent up ant one side prepared.

I think you missed one .....

Sorry, just joking ;) - That looks like an interesting kit build and a real pain in the riveting and bending department.

• Like 1

The Lowmac is an interesting one so keep them pictures coming, I also have a D & S Loriot M to do sometime this year.

Thanks for the pictures of the J26 also.

Darren.

• RMweb Gold

I think you missed one .....

Sorry, just joking wink.gif - That looks like an interesting kit build and a real pain in the riveting and bending department.

Hi Kenton,

There are some on one of the headstocks that are missed because they have been etched right through, might solder some brass wire through these to replace them.

There are some on one of the headstocks that are missed because they have been etched right through, might solder some brass wire through these to replace them.

that method works well - but it is a real PITA to do - good luck

Something a little different - a Quoits pitch for Greyscroft Mine...

To be continued...

[/size]

Hi Worsdell

Just come across your thread and the Quoits pitch model, how cool is that!! You even made some Quoits!! :D :D

Being a Quoits player in the Lower Dales league in the Wensleydale area I think this is such a great thing to add to the back of our pub. Will you take of the covers off in the summer and have some figures playing and drinking beer? ;)

Are you a player?

Regards Jaggzuk aka Paul

• RMweb Gold

Hi Worsdell

Just come across your thread and the Quoits pitch model, how cool is that!! You even made some Quoits!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Being a Quoits player in the Lower Dales league in the Wensleydale area I think this is such a great thing to add to the back of our pub. Will you take of the covers off in the summer and have some figures playing and drinking beer? wink.gif

Are you a player?

Regards Jaggzuk aka Paul

Hi Paul,

No I'm not a player even though my nearest pitch is only 100yds away and I know a few world champions! but I have thrown a few quoits when I was younger.

The pitch has been installed on the layout complete with players having a practice over a few pints at lunch time (or bait time as we call it). It had to be a practice as matches take place on an evening and there wouldn't be any ironstone trains leaving or arriving at the mine. Note the hessian sacks over the other back board, there is another quoit on the back board behind the players but it still needs a spade adding somewhere. The surrounds need landscaping and the joint between baseboard and backscene disguising somehow. I will be starting a thread on the layout, Greyscroft Mine in a couple of months when Felton Lane is nearing completion.

I wanted a quoits pitch on the layout as there is one near many pubs in this area (it's just over the road top left of the first photo) and they take up a lot less room than a cricket pitch!

post-7104-126858190167_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126858191388_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Isinglass Models LNER D86/87 Milk van.

This is the first kit from Isinglass Models and at a first look seems to be a good kit. I have however found a few problems.

The doors are made up first and went together well although the tabs on the right hand side of the doors are very near a half etched line and cutting them from the fret bent this a bit but this was easily fixed.

Window frames are fitted next and are nicely etched and are a good fit

post-7104-12695554023_thumb.jpg

The end steps are all in one piece with the steps bent forward and fitted through the holes in the end and are a good fit and easy.

post-7104-126955591202_thumb.jpg

Folding the end and side didn't go too well as there are lots of half etched planks that wanted to bend as well, next time I will support it better.

post-7104-1269555949_thumb.jpg

The next problem is with the headstock. This needs to be folded back on it's self and the floor support bent down 90 deg. unfortunatly the half etched line is on the inside and makes bending it very difficult but with a bit of squeezing and filing seems to look ok.

Looks good . I like the Step idea. However I prefer the D&S approach of seperate ends a lot easier to build. I saw one of the Isinglass versionat St Albans as well. The one I saw has to have a brass roof rolled to fit , I presume this is the same? .

I luckily have a couple of the D&S versions so I wont be buying any personally.

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Looks good . I like the Step idea. However I prefer the D&S approach of seperate ends a lot easier to build. I saw one of the Isinglass versionat St Albans as well. The one I saw has to have a brass roof rolled to fit , I presume this is the same? .

I luckily have a couple of the D&S versions so I wont be buying any personally.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I would prefer seperate ends, bends for corners are never as tight as you would like them. The roof is rolled to the correct profile although this was an option when I ordered the kit as was the fittings, I'm glad I got it rolled, wouldn't like to atempt it myself.

Looking good Paul. It's nice to see that these are available. I will have to have one not having Mick's luxury of the D&S one. Thanks for pointing out the issues small as they are it's still nice to know what to look for in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

Love the quoits pitch, like you I used to drink with a couple of world champions and also beat one of them on more than one occassion!!!

The lowmac is looking good, are you bringing it to our show to give it a run out on Wildale???

Doug

Sorry to disapoint Doug, but the lowmac is one of the old 4mm ones.:P

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thought it was about time this workbench was updated. I was going to continue with the milk van but the chance purchace of an Ian Kirk NER Boplate (although one produced by Colin Ashby), a Four Most Models (ex MAJ Models) L&Y 12ft wheelbase van and 12ft wheelbase 1 plank open I thought I would have a go at these first.

I built one of these Boplates about 10 years ago and this is the first kit for one that I have seen since that one. The basic kit has gone together well, I have added the inside end brackets and some correct underframe trusses. All that is needed now is to fit them, add the brake levers and build the bogies.

post-7104-127489444011.jpg

post-7104-127489444657.jpg

The L&Y wagons have the same underframe and went together well for such old kits, the van has the option of fitting roof doors but I chose not to model these as you are left on your own with these and I don't have photos of them.

post-7104-127489466223.jpg

post-7104-127489467219.jpg

I also had a rummage in my kits box and found an equally old 3H Models 5 plank open, I initially thought it was an LNER wagon (I just had the mouldings, no packaging, but deffinatley 3H) but I can't find photos of one in 'LNER wagons' so now I'm not quite sure what it is apart from being 1923 RCH. any suggestions would be welcome.

post-7104-127489494543.jpg

There was no floor with the kit (probably lost due to it not being in a bag) so a floor of plasticard was cut and scribed with planks.

post-7104-127489503846.jpg

• Like 1