Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

Both the photos I've found of 1055 (this side sandboxes are different to the other so must have been changed at some time, lots of guesswork!) show it with rivets showing on the smokebox, this could give the illusion of it being narrower? I've moved the boiler forward by 1mm and the whole thing looks more balanced now with more room for the sandbox. The ashpan will be completed before I'm done.

Paul,

Indeed they do show rivets; I stand corrected. 1055 certainly had a riveted smokebox.

And the front sandboxes, on this loco, seem to have been moved amidships, between the two sets of splashers. Perhaps that is because the larger splashers prevented the symmetry with the smokebox front - more guesswork. And the curved cover at the bottom of the smokebox front, shown on the two photos above, is completely absent from 1055 allowing the cylinder front bolts to show.

All of the photos of BTP's seem to show buffers different from the normal NER tapered; much more akin to the LNER group standard design.

Looking on some of the LNER Information websites, there is reference to these locos being inconsistent in appearance, in their later days. Looks like that is an understatement.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Indeed they do show rivets; I stand corrected. 1055 certainly had a riveted smokebox.

And the front sandboxes, on this loco, seem to have been moved amidships, between the two sets of splashers. Perhaps that is because the larger splashers prevented the symmetry with the smokebox front - more guesswork. And the curved cover at the bottom of the smokebox front, shown on the two photos above, is completely absent from 1055 allowing the cylinder front bolts to show.

But, the photo of 1055 seems to show it carrying LNER group standard buffers, so if they are LNER, then the photo is almost certainly post 1923.

Cheers

Mike

The cover over the cylinders was 'optional', the other photo of 1055 can be found on page 65 of Ken Hoole's NER locos and is much earlier, it's in TWs livery, and has the usual square pattern Fletcher sandboxes. 

• RMweb Gold

...All of the photos of BTP's seem to show buffers different from the normal NER tapered; much more akin to the LNER group standard design.

Looking on some of the LNER Information websites, there is reference to these locos being inconsistent in appearance, in their later days. Looks like that is an understatement.

Cheers

Mike

Before the well known tapered buffers they were all/mostly parallel. 

Don't think ant two were alike, but that's Fletcher locos... (except 901s and 1440 2-4-0s)

• RMweb Premium

Before the well known tapered buffers they were all/mostly parallel. 

Don't think ant two were alike, but that's Fletcher locos... (except 901s and 1440 2-4-0s)

The parallel shank buffers were used on various NER classes. In Ken Hoole's "Illustrated History---" the section on the BTPs shows has several photos all with these buffers.

ArthurK

I have one of these Steve B BTP kits - an eBay 'rescue' - on the go too. I too was amazed by the variety of possibilities - wheel diameters, splashers, fittings etc. Truly a minefield! Lovely kit though :)

Yeah, ugly looking thing...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Paul.

I ordered my BTP from London Road Models and gearbox from Hi-level, as I said I would, and so last night as I was perusing Ken Hooles loco's of the NER. I found myself strangely drawn to No.955. Not so sure about the sand boxes though as they partially hide the rather nice springs and also look like a bxgger to make. So I think when I get round to building the South Farne version of 955 she might have the Worsdell cab but the original square boxes. She'll be a delight if you ask me.

When I get round to building her!  Chris at Hi-level said he'd just done the post so could I wait a week for my gearbox if it wasn't urgent. I said that was ok, but felt like saying " no problem anytime in the next three to four years will do fine."

Edit: To reinstate sweary word after it was censured.

Edited by Iain Popplewell

Hi Iain, looking at the pic in Ken Hooles book and comparing 955 to 950 the only big difference is the cab. So my thought is did 955 change the sand box's at the same time as the cab?

Don't know the answer but hopefully a bloke more cleverer than me will

All the best

Steve

what's annoying here is the cab roof has to be fitted to do this so any detailing will have to be done through the doors. 

Should have modelled No.955 Paul. :jester: 

Puts me in mind of that old chestnut about the gynaecologist that decorated his front hall through his front door letterbox.

Great modelling by the way she's coming on at a great pace. Very impressive.

• RMweb Gold

Westinghouse pump fitted, weighshaft fitted, whistles fitted, roof vent fitted, smokebox handrail fitted, smokebox lamp iron fitted. Handle and wheel fitted to smokebox door. A good evening's work.

post-7104-0-82730500-1528666404_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Been slowly plodding away, it now runs with the aid of electrickery, pick ups and wires can, for now, be seen. Yesterday I got the beading on the cab and bunker, what's annoying here is the cab roof has to be fitted to do this so any detailing will have to be done through the doors. This morning I set to with a length of boiler tube and wet 'n dry and dressed the curve under the boiler fittings, there's still a bit to do but they're getting there.

attachicon.gif20180610_115601.jpg

That's looking very good. And you've answered my question about what goes on behind the front extension to the cab - the bunker presumably. This is always in shadow on photos. 

Am I right in thinking the cab rear is flush with the rear edge of the cab roof, but the cab front is set back (as on a Tennant)? Or did they vary from builder to builder? 

• RMweb Gold

That's looking very good. And you've answered my question about what goes on behind the front extension to the cab - the bunker presumably. This is always in shadow on photos. 

Am I right in thinking the cab rear is flush with the rear edge of the cab roof, but the cab front is set back (as on a Tennant)? Or did they vary from builder to builder? 

I'm assuming behind the boxed in bit will be the front of the reversing lever, Not sure if these had the combined lever and screw type or not. Don't know what would be on the fireman's side, tool locker maybe? there's not a lot of room at the back of the cab.

Paul,

A question for you. Will you be adding pick ups to the driving wheels only or are you also planning to add some form of pick up to the trailing bogie wheels? Reason for asking is that I have the same issue on the G5's which I'm building.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

A question for you. Will you be adding pick ups to the driving wheels only or are you also planning to add some form of pick up to the trailing bogie wheels? Reason for asking is that I have the same issue on the G5's which I'm building.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, yes the bogie will be getting pick ups, not sure how yet as there's not much room.

Anyway, were riding behind bonny little green engines today.

post-7104-0-24434400-1529147910_thumb.jpg

• Like 10