Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Premium

Ah! Class 398 then. But I submit that the front end of Classes 398, 124 (which is what I thought it might be) and BTP are very similar (at least at some point in their lives) demonstrating that even if no two of Fletcher's engines were the same there was a strong family likeness.

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah! Class 398 then. But I submit that the front end of Classes 398, 124 (which is what I thought it might be) and BTP are very similar (at least at some point in their lives) demonstrating that even if no two of Fletcher's engines were the same there was a strong family likeness.

That's the one, it will be 1333, there's a couple of photos in Yeadon 47B and a few earlier ones in the NERA archive. It's a later build with longer frames and it should have a lower pitched boiler but the photos still show a large gap below the boiler. Drawings seem to be a bit generic and I can't find one exactly as I need it so there will have to be a bit of intelligent guesswork, there's no front end drawing so I'm using my BTP to get the cab profile right. There are however very good drawings of the tender, part of a series if articles in North Eastern Express a few years ago, including an original Nielson drawing in full colour.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday's progress, cab front cut out and held up with blue tack.

IMGP0666-001.JPG.f1c2c387ef99d73297d83b68e80a8f83.JPG

Tender inner frames.

IMGP0668-001.JPG.ed75e1c8187aba200fb581eb350e52ab.JPG

Tender footplate with the outline of the tank drawn on, should be fun...

IMGP0669-001.JPG.f2c2e319ec80e77a3ac2477f9e7f8efc.JPG

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul

There is a drawing at NRM of what I call the "curly" cab version of the 398 class. This is a Stephenson drawing of their 398 builds 2051-2080 & 2151-2180. This drawing has 9972 hand written in the bottom right corner.  From memory this is the OPC reference. I also have the cab & tanks drawing of the Fletcher cab version of the 290 (J77) both have the cab front profile shown and they appear to be identical. The top corner radius is 1'6" (6mm) and the roof radius is 8' 0" (32mm).

Hope this helps. I had visions of doing a kit for this. Then I asked myself which one? There didn't appear to be two the same!

In the end I moved on to other things so the kit never materialised.

ArthurK

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The chassis now moves under power, There's only pick ups on the front two axles at the moment but it does work.

You might notice that the motor has changed, there was nothing wrong with the first one (Mashima 10/20)but it was a bit long, it would have needed to lean forward to fit it in the boiler, this would have caused two problems, the first is the gearbox would have protruded quite a bit below the ashpan and second I would have had to remove quite a bit of the bottom of the boiler and the motor would have been showing. Replacing it with this 10/15 (as discussed here, early tests seem favourable) means it is totally hidden.

IMGP0681-002.JPG.2115ed7d4452dede8cdb3564c45f94c8.JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

That's starting to look excellent (in fairness, it was front the first construction photos!)

What do you use for cutting brass sheet? The several methods I've tried have ended up with very raggy or inaccurate edges, though that could just be me being ham fisted!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

That's starting to look excellent (in fairness, it was front the first construction photos!)

What do you use for cutting brass sheet? The several methods I've tried have ended up with very raggy or inaccurate edges, though that could just be me being ham fisted!

Cheers

J

Trust me, the cuts start off raggy... Internal cuts are with a fine piercing saw and fine files, external ones with large old tin snips and filed back.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

For most of my cutting out and folding I use a "Olfa P 450 Cutter", I bought mine off E Bay for a couple of quid though they cam also be had from DIY shops etc. Saves hours of work, just deep scribe, fold and break off.

Hello,

I looked on ebay but they do not seem to be available now but clones are.

trustytrev.:)

Edited by trustytrev