Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• 2 weeks later...

I've just discovered this thread, the quality of the modelling is superb. I cannot wait to go back and start from page 1.

In the bolster wagon 71782 - what have you used for the chains and shackles please, they look really good!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jack P said:

I've just discovered this thread, the quality of the modelling is superb. I cannot wait to go back and start from page 1.

In the bolster wagon 71782 - what have you used for the chains and shackles please, they look really good!

Not sure off hand but probably Slaters chain and Smiths screw couplings. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A couple of finished G2 vans but not the plastic ones seen above, these are a couple of David Geen kits glimpsed occasionally in the background before, the problem with finishing them has been finding suitable numbers for this type, there are a couple of photos in the NERA archive and these are the numbers I have used. The photos also show sliding roof doors and full loop steps. 

20190826_154749.jpg.9f31071e54d2a4bca51d1da0c0f41908.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Whose microstrip are you using? It may be my imagination but it looks as if it might be thinner than 10 thou, which I've felt to be frustratingly just a little a bit too thick for the purpose - scale 3/4" rather than 3/8"!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I'm a convert to Evergreen for the thicker sections - they're cut squarer than the Slater's equivalent, which are concave on one side and convex on the other. For solebars, I imagine I'm using American oak rather than English oak!

• 3 weeks later...

Paul it shows that once you can build locos even 18 years ago. the skills keep improving. I look at the latest finished loco a D17 and compare it back to a Bradwell J27 from 1998! the finish and build has improved!

The other thing is shows is that once built, kits can be modified in the dim distant future if needed.  

Edited by DougN
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Rosedale said:

A lovely engine Paul! Which transfers do you use for the side and buffer beam? I'm asking because I'm about to paint my S Scale Y7. I'm going to use Fox transfers for the lining but need to use something for the letters. Thanks.

All lettering is HMRS Pressfix, N. 89 E. from the LNER Yellow sheet, Fox lettering seems to have too much white highlighting and they don't seem to do full stops, there's not many so I have used the bottom of a 7" '1' as an experiment and it has gone well. The buffer beam numbers from the NER loco and carriage sheet.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jukebox said:

Very nice work!  

It's subjective, of course, but the brass finish looks more authentic on the C.  Less yellow?

Cheers

Scott

Ah, well, as I was cleaning it up it appeared to be brass, until I got all the black paint off and I realised it was nickel silver! Nice shape but wrong material. What I painted it with (and I'd already redone the U) is Vallejo 'Old Gold'. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...