Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

That, that is bloody gorgeous! If my E looks even half as good I've I've got some paint onto it, I'll be more than happy!

Which lining transfers have you used? Fox? As despite having a good chat with the erstwhile Mr Rathbone at Warley and improving my hand lining, I don't think it's quite up to scratch yet!

I presume you've gone to Narrow Planet for the plates? 

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

That, that is bloody gorgeous! If my E looks even half as good I've I've got some paint onto it, I'll be more than happy!

Which lining transfers have you used? Fox? As despite having a good chat with the erstwhile Mr Rathbone at Warley and improving my hand lining, I don't think it's quite up to scratch yet!

I presume you've gone to Narrow Planet for the plates? 

Cheers

J

Lining is Fox, boiler bands are, well, boiler bands and plain lining is FG1596, plates are coming from Narrow Planet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Have you got the missing bit of bottom end plank, to allow the incline chain to pass behind the headstock, as denoted by the theta symbol? [J.F. Mallon, in North Eastern Record Vol. 2 (HMRS, 1997), p. 95 and plate 2.38.]

75664 has, this is one I've built fairly recently, L742 is one I bought built a few years ago and it was good enough to just repaint. The holes in the ends is really a job to be done 'in the flat', I can live with it. I've quite a few that I bought built, it was the only way then, they're getting tidied up as they're not badly built really. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jus' checkin'. My question arose out of my compulsive need to find out what the theta symbol denoted!

I suppose that so long as 75644 is at the "top" end of the train, all is well, since it'll be hard to see between the end pillars of wagons coupled together.

Edited by Compound2632

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, micklner said:

Can anything be done about the god awful coupling rods ?

They could be filed down a bit, won't help the crankpins and bosses though. 

I've measured the rods that I have -

Original Mainline 1.7mm. 

New Bachmann 1.7mm.

Mainly Trains 1.3mm

Comet 1.5mm

Perseverance 1.5mm

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

All vacuum pipes removed and holes filled, GS buffers changed for NER tapered, twin handled smokebox dart changed for handle and wheel, Armstrong Whitworth plate removed and of course LNER lettering replaced with NER. 

Excellent! Something I have indeed been looking at doing with mine! I'm presuming Gibson buffers and the wheel and handle from the spares box?

Looks bloomin lovely!

Merry Christmas to you and Lady Wordsell! Apparently, my better(?) half informs me that a J72 isn't festive enough! It still went around the tree though! Maybe an E1 will fare better!

IMG_20191222_105558.jpg.de2e48f2d16dce72f6340cb3bcafb820.jpg

All the best

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
Added photo
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All 51L/Wizard - NER diagrams C2 and C10 - is the conclusion of my sleuthing.

I think it's the earlier version of the C2 I'd want as the most representative North Eastern wagon c. 1902 but a difficulty seems to be finding published information on quantities and build dates.

One can never have too many wagons!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

All 51L/Wizard - NER diagrams C2 and C10 - is the conclusion of my sleuthing.

I think it's the earlier version of the C2 I'd want as the most representative North Eastern wagon c. 1902 but a difficulty seems to be finding published information on quantities and build dates.

One can never have too many wagons!

A C2 and 2 C10s, I need a couple more wagons for 1908, the C2 will be one of them (A late build with diagonal strapping and 2a axleboxes, 1900 on, just in time for you!) and one of the C10s, which will have to be a brand new early A... numbered wagon as the started building them in '08. The other C10 will be in the later N E livery.

• Like 1