Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Daddyman said:

Presumably 898 didn't get its front steps and tank-front handrails until LNER days? - possibly when at North Road?  

Hope so, they were certainly built without them and photos I've seen are without them. Trouble is we may never know the identity of many if the photographed locos. 

• Agree 1

On 18/10/2020 at 23:14, Worsdell forever said:

20201018_230344_copy_1600x769.jpg.96127ac66177eec5155ab58a36132908.jpg

Good Afternoon

I notice that the bracing to the outside of the deck is a has a sold web (sorry if that's not correct teminology.)

When I was researching for my scratch-built version a few years ago, all the usual sources (Tatlow Vol 2) etc seems to show these as round bar.

My model (nowhere as neat as yours!) has these.

Post_17.JPG.79409201cd7f299b0498b1f62a875503.JPG

Post_20.JPG.cd73590eeae6f78cc3e3ba0a6e4fb767.JPG

Not that I have any intention of changing mine now, but have you managed to find any other information?

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A completely random question, prompted by these lovely wagons. Can you recommend where to get the axle boxes for these wagons, I got a Pocket Money Kits set of etches without the axleboxes and when I asked about castings was told they were no longer available. 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

Good Afternoon

I notice that the bracing to the outside of the deck is a has a sold web (sorry if that's not correct teminology.)

When I was researching for my scratch-built version a few years ago, all the usual sources (Tatlow Vol 2) etc seems to show these as round bar.

My model (nowhere as neat as yours!) has these.

Post_17.JPG.79409201cd7f299b0498b1f62a875503.JPG

Post_20.JPG.cd73590eeae6f78cc3e3ba0a6e4fb767.JPG

Not that I have any intention of changing mine now, but have you managed to find any other information?

These wagons were built years ago, long before I had all these books and the internet to hand and followed the kit 'instructions', the implement wagons have the correct bar stays but the machine wagon has plate ones where they should be bar as you have done. It will stay as it is as it's soldered solid and starting again from scratch would be easier than rectifying it!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

A completely random question, prompted by these lovely wagons. Can you recommend where to get the axle boxes for these wagons, I got a Pocket Money Kits set of etches without the axleboxes and when I asked about castings was told they were no longer available. 

No. 2 axleboxes with springs (though they'll maybe need a bit of work on them) are available from Wizard models, part nerc006, though whether the springs are heavy enough I'm not sure, axleboxes are available separately and maybe bigger springs. The dampers would be easily made up with wire and small tube. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't know much about the NER but I've always enjoyed reading this thread, now as I'm in the process of moving to NER territory (The nearest station is/was Mindrum on the Alnwick - Cornhill branch) I've found myself perusing some NER kits.....:o

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I don't know much about the NER but I've always enjoyed reading this thread, now as I'm in the process of moving to NER territory (The nearest station is/was Mindrum on the Alnwick - Cornhill branch) I've found myself perusing some NER kits.....:o

And you are most welcome :)

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Welcome to the wilderness Chris...once this pandemic has run its course you must come along and meet the North East and Borders area group of the EM gauge society...an eclectic group of modellers from both sides of the border who meet every month or so for a lecture/demonstration/talk, or just to spend an afternoon with like minded souls (and drink tea). They are (apparently) the best attended area group of the EM gauge society which is probably because they are a broad church and all are welcomed (from 009 to gauge 1)...they even let me attend from time to time.

http://www.modelrailwayclubs.co.uk/clubs/northumberland/n-e-borders-area-group-(e-m-gauge-society)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Ooh! That's exciting! I'm currently trying to stop myself starting work on Mindrum, Kirknewton or Akeld station buildings. 

I wonder where you are exactly... 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Axlebox said:

Welcome to the wilderness Chris...once this pandemic has run its course you must come along and meet the North East and Borders area group of the EM gauge society...an eclectic group of modellers from both sides of the border who meet every month or so for a lecture/demonstration/talk, or just to spend an afternoon with like minded souls (and drink tea). They are (apparently) the best attended area group of the EM gauge society which is probably because they are a broad church and all are welcomed (from 009 to gauge 1)...they even let me attend from time to time.

http://www.modelrailwayclubs.co.uk/clubs/northumberland/n-e-borders-area-group-(e-m-gauge-society)

Thanks for the invite, as soon as I'm up there permanently I will pop along.  Is there a regular meeting place?

7 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Ooh! That's exciting! I'm currently trying to stop myself starting work on Mindrum, Kirknewton or Akeld station buildings. 

I wonder where you are exactly... 

I'm heading to Kirk Yetholm just a mile over the Border, I own a Steading which is just coming out of planning with permission to convert. One proviso with the purchase was a dedicated railway room which I'm lucky enough to have. Mindrum and the remains of the Cornhill branch and the Tweedmouth to Kelso are the nearest to meIMG_1499.JPG.a9237c716de699cdc7cf66a80f3c3576.JPG

Apologies to Paul for dragging this :offtopic:

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Thanks for the invite, as soon as I'm up there permanently I will pop along.  Is there a regular meeting place?

I'm heading to Kirk Yetholm just a mile over the Border, I own a Steading which is just coming out of planning with permission to convert. One proviso with the purchase was a dedicated railway room which I'm lucky enough to have. Mindrum and the remains of the Cornhill branch and the Tweedmouth to Kelso are the nearest to meIMG_1499.JPG.a9237c716de699cdc7cf66a80f3c3576.JPG

Apologies to Paul for dragging this :offtopic:

I know that signpost very well! 

You'll be neighbours with the great expert on matters NER, Bill Fawcett. 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

They usually meet in either Elsdon (near Otterburn) or Stannington (near Morpeth), but have also been know to pop up in Southdean (on the road to Hawick) and Cornhill. The annual show (Workshop Wise) is held around September in Stannington village hall...and is as famous for its catering as it is for the quality of the modelling. Mr Gallon comes up every year, just for his breakfast...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Touched up the paint, photos are great for spotting things like that...

20210102_110308.jpg.7eb646cbea729b467324398fd167491e.jpg

Now go for a lie down in a dark room .. great wander round?  what have you been drinking??:jester:

Baz

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

Now go for a lie down in a dark room .. great wander round?  what have you been drinking??:jester:

Baz

Just Yorkshire tea this morning, couple of bottles of Theakston's Pale last night...

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Just Yorkshire tea this morning, couple of bottles of Theakston's Pale last night...

Well you need to drink.. more... and not just the tea!

Hope you and your good Lady have a great 2021!

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1