Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Where is the front coupling hook and shackle? - Otherwise that is rather superb and suggesting I have a lot to learn!

Regards

Chris H

It ain't ever getting one, it's now got a pair of DG couplings. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/12/2021 at 11:11, Worsdell forever said:

Had a good go at getting the class B nearer completion over the last few days, buffer heads to fit, glazing, a bit of coal and a few tools and it should be right. Also think the compensation beam needs adjusting a bit, think the front is a touch high. 

20211229_094703_copy_1600x1200.jpg.bbb331280ade76befea5d974beab6801.jpg

Nice finish on the black Mr Gummage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2022 at 18:50, Worsdell forever said:

It ain't ever getting one, it's now got a pair of DG couplings. 

So when I reguage my Dad's A Class it could try to visit your layout young man. Axles and frame spacers available  so its just a case of getting myself speeded up to do it.

Baz

Ps hope you and your good lady have a great 2022

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.

Paul, I was watching some of your other videos and saw the Chapman & Sons furniture van. A search of your thread does not seem to bring it up. Edit, found it in your other thread, but still: Can I ask what the source is - a scratchbuild or kit?

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Indeed.

Paul, I was watching some of your other videos and saw the Chapman & Sons furniture van. A search of your thread does not seem to bring it up. Edit, found it in your other thread, but still: Can I ask what the source is - a scratchbuild or kit?

Hi Mikkel,

It's a kit, a Shire Scenes Pantechnicon, not a bad kit but could do with some chunkier wheels, it's where the Dart and Shire Scenes range could help each other with cast wheels.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S56.php

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Indeed.

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Hi Mikkel,

It's a kit, a Shire Scenes Pantechnicon, not a bad kit but could do with some chunkier wheels, it's where the Dart and Shire Scenes range could help each other with cast wheels.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/shire/S56.php

Here it is, being shunted.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

An E1 perhaps?

But there's a lot of platform out the back - which strongly suggests a toolbox. My money's on a Brighton loco of some sort...

What?! No, definitely a North Eastern loco. Originally built by Stephenson & Co in September 1873 as No 864 and looked nothing like it will end up, it was rebuilt in 1892 as No 979 of class 964A and withdrawn in 1914.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

What?! No, definitely a North Eastern loco. Originally built by Stephenson & Co in September 1873 as No 864 and looked nothing like it will end up, it was rebuilt in 1892 as No 979 of class 964A and withdrawn in 1914.

Aha! K. Hoole, An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives (OPC, 1988) p. 23.

I suppose that long rear platform is a consequence of the original frames being used, despite the rear axle being moved back 2 ft when the original long boiler was replaced by the Class E/E1 boiler. It looks to me as if the Class E splashers were used despite the rather smaller wheels. 

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Aha! K. Hoole, An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives (OPC, 1988) p. 23.

I suppose that long rear platform is a consequence of the original frames being used, despite the rear axle being moved back 2 ft when the original long boiler was replaced by the Class E/E1 boiler. It looks to me as if the Class E splashers were used despite the rather smaller wheels. 

That's the one, I think the reason for the large splashers, and the overall look,  is they were busy building Class E at the same time. By the time they rebuilt Class 44 they were building E1s which had smaller splashers and were used on the rebuilds even though the wheels on the 44 were much larger. 

Class 964 as built (ish).

SEAHAM HARBOUR CO., Seaham - MARS - ex-NER Fletcher Class 964 0-6-0ST - built 1875 by Robert Stephenson & Co. as NER No.969 - 1892 to NER No.1758, 1894 to NER No.1661 - 12/08 to Seaham Harbour Co. - 07/63 withdrawn - seen here 06/52.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Nick Lawson said:

I love the "kinky" brake pull in the picture above. Particularly the way it wraps round the front sand pipe.

Looks like it's main purpose is to avoid the crankpins, you wonder why it couldn't be slightly lower over it's full length? At the rear it drops down again. It always gets tight around brakes and sandpipes though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure you're onto all this but for my own satisfaction I had another look in Hoole's book. The photo of unrebuilt No. 1753, taken before 1894, shows straight brake hangers with skinny brake blocks and pull rods behind the wheels. The photo of rebuilt No. 979 (in Wilson Worsdell's version of the green livery, so at latest not too far into the 20the century) has what appear to be the same hangers and blocks but outside pull rods. The pull rods are straight in both cases. Classes E and E1 had the pull rods behind the wheels whereas the Ls and the 0-6-2Ts have them outside. So there seems to be no rhyme or reason!

I suppose Mars had its brake rigging renewed at some point after it was sold out of NER service.

• Like 1