Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

So, back to the carriages, there's now a respectable set of four. Two, a D18 3 compartment van third and a D14 8 compartment ordinary third that were finished a few years ago. Next is the D5 lavatory composite that is externally finished, needs glazing and seats, last is a D77 5 compartment van third, built many years ago and finished in late LNER condition with electric lights and middle lower steps removed, lamp tops have been added but the steps still need to be added but it has been repainted, lettered and lined. Please don't look too closely at the lining, I'm getting better at it!

It's starting to look nice, Paul. Respect for getting the b. springs in behind the splashers on the BTP. Mine's still in a box. I'm hoping my dad's forgotten it...  

Do you need any long steps for the carriages? I don't use D&S ones so have millions lying around in boxes. 

Can I just be a tiny bit pedantic? The D&S instructions, and indeed many articles written in early issues of the Express, suggest that (all) these vehicles went from gas to electric lighting in LNER days. They didn't. I keep harping on about this, and apologies if you've heard it before, but the actual progression was from lit by gas burner to lit by incandescent mantle - and that's it. The vast, vast majority of clerestories would never have gone beyond that - there was certainly no programme under the LNER to retrofit expensive electric lighting to old carriages. I would guess that what few clerestories were electrically lit were built like that, or possibly converted in NER days, and the LNER did nothing more to them. I just mention it because I've seen a model in the past year or so with original  pre-incandescent gas-lamp tops (obsolete from 1908) on the roof, and battery boxes on the underframe, so if you're fitting lamp tops you're hopefully removing the battery boxes? 

Incidentally, I've only ever found one picture of an electric-lit clerestory - Ernie's Brampton thread again: 

05 Coach  (Fleetwood Shawe)005

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1