Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

That looks like a 3H LNER 6 plank wagon to me - there is a photo of a similar wagon in Tatlow's LNER wagons (the 1980s single volume - I don't think the new multi-volume work has got as far as LNER standard designs). Nice mouldings but a pig to assemble square.unsure.gif

• RMweb Gold

That looks like a 3H LNER 6 plank wagon to me - there is a photo of a similar wagon in Tatlow's LNER wagons (the 1980s single volume - I don't think the new multi-volume work has got as far as LNER standard designs). Nice mouldings but a pig to assemble square.unsure.gif

I've studied this book again, the kit has 5 planks, one door stop/spring and outside V's. None of the wagons in the LNER wagons book exactly matches this description, so it could be either an LMS wagon (I'm not sure if Doug made many LMS wagons, I should ask him) or a 'standard' RCH one.

I've studied this book again, the kit has 5 planks, one door stop/spring and outside V's. None of the wagons in the LNER wagons book exactly matches this description, so it could be either an LMS wagon (I'm not sure if Doug made many LMS wagons, I should ask him) or a 'standard' RCH one.

Three Aitch Mouldings made a LMS 5 plank wagon.

Paul

York

• RMweb Gold

Three Aitch Mouldings made a LMS 5 plank wagon.

Paul

York

Thanks Paul

That could be what it is then, Doug has some LMS 5 planks in 5' gauge and these tend to reflect his old 4mm kits.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a 3H LNER 6 plank in Tyne Improvement Commision livery for comparison with what is probably the LMS one. For some reason I didn't fit the door stops and didn't notice till now!

I have a couple more kits without any information with them, they may stay in the kit box!

post-7104-127491324068.jpg

LMS D1666 as also produced by Cambrian (floor is supplied there but is too short..) http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/lmslnerwagons.html#lms58

The diagonal strapping on the Cambrian example is much finer than the 3H one and closer to scale. Ditto their new model of the LNER 6-plank you've done but obviously 3H were very good considering their age.

Only other source of both is ABS WM kits I believe.

I'd recommend painting the interior ironwork black and rusting if you aren't fitting a load as it looks odd wood coloured. Nice unpainted wood though.

• Like 1

The 3H kits are remarkable considering their age...

I have resurrected some of late and next to the new Cambrians they do look a shade clunky - that is no criticism mind!

The age difference in technology and craft is the issue.

Lets just say the 3H ones will end up looking very scabby and the Cambrians will be more dress-worthy.... :biggrin_mini2:

Worsdell, any idea what the oddities in the box are?

Someone may have some bumph stashed somewhere that might help you use them?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Craig, I had found the Cambrian one but my eyes were closing last night so never posted! I know my work is no where near yours, but it has made me (and no doubt others) up my game a bit with wagon building, although with these old kits I've pretty much built them as intended. The TIC wagon was built about 10 years ago and I now try to finish the interiors a little better!

Iak, The ones in the box aren't to mysterious, I'm pretty sure they are BR 12/13t Vans, they are Parkside kits so should be easy to identify, but there's no pressing need for them at the moment.

One thing I like about the 3H kits, especially the vans, is that the body sides are quite thick, which gives plenty of material for the solvent to get hold of.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A G5 for Greyscroft Mine...

The passenger service through Greyscroft Mine would no doubt be hauled by a G5. 67240 was chosen as it was shedded at Whitby in 1955. It emerged from Darlington works as No 1096 in May 1894, the first of 110 members of one of the most sucsessfull small passenger tank classes ever built. It's first shed was Neville Hill. It was never sheded outside Yorkshire, moving to Ilkley in 1924 then Starbeck, back to Ilkley then Neville Hill again then to Whitby on 19-7-1953. It moved to Malton on 20-11-1955 from where it was withdrawn in April 1956 and cut up at Darlington.

The Kit, built to EM gauge, is from Alexander Models with Gibson wheels, High Level gearbox and a Mashima 14/24 motor.

The basic frames put together using Comet EM frame spacers.

post-7104-025985400 1284499311_thumb.jpg

Tank sides bunker and cab attached to the footplate.

post-7104-068343000 1284499316_thumb.jpg

Smokebox and boiler fitted to the footplate, Quite a lot of material had to be removed from the underside of the boiler where it sits on the ledge on the cab front but only after I removed about 4mm from the firebox end to make it the right length.

post-7104-095860300 1284499319_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A G5 for Greyscroft Mine...

Further progress on the chassis with the motor and gearbox in place to check for clearances, a little material had to be removed from the top of the frames to allow the motor to sit down low enough to clear the underside of the boiler. If I had chosen a 12mm wide motor it would sit down between the frames, but I decided on the largest (14mm) that would go in. As can be seen in the second photo it only just fits in lengthways, The motor shaft will need to be removed and the cast backhead will fit with just a bit of material removed from the lower sides.

post-7104-034862600 1284663743_thumb.jpg

post-7104-042853600 1284663748_thumb.jpg

Initial checking of clearances around the splashers, these kits were designed for 00 so things are a bit tight in these areas. Final clearance checks will be done when the chassis is finished.

post-7104-002327300 1284663752_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it is probably an optical illusion, but the camera has made the last photo look as though the driving axles are not parallel to each other....

Are you trying to put me in hospital? :D

Just had a measure and both sides are the same.

heart rate returns to normal...

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haven't been able to get back into doing some work on the G5 lately but with a week off and about 18" of snow outside I've being doing some work on some wagons. The first three were part of a box of wagons (mostly Parkside kits) that were given to our club a few years ago, they were being cleared out so a few of us took what we wanted and I took the box with all the loose junk in the bottom but quite a few wheel sets in among it. One problem that I have found is that most of the brake gear was missing but a rummage though my boxes at home came up with most of what I needed.

post-7104-090578100 1291581266_thumb.jpg

post-7104-001061300 1291581271_thumb.jpg

The Plate wagon was a bit of a problem as there was no brake gear at all. The solution to this was to build another plate wagon kit. This might seem strange but I had always intended to build it a a fitted version, see below, (I'd built a connisuer one many years ago when he did 4mm kits) and so there was a set of brake gear spare. One problem with the brakes on these kits is both sets of shoes and push rods are identical so the shoes were cut off one and reversed. The axleguard tie bars need replacing with a brass strip, the plastic ones bent as the kit dried out!

post-7104-062363600 1291581285_thumb.jpg

New builds.

For the fitted version new etched 'Vs' were added from an unidentified etch, plastic shoes and vac cylinder from the spares box, push rods from brass strip and etched levers. Correct cast buffers and vac pipes were added to the headstocks.

post-7104-089959100 1291581631_thumb.jpg

Another of the new builds was this LMS CCT. I've painted it bauxite instead of red as the instructions say as recommended by Jenkinson & Essery in LMS std coaching stock (vol 1)

post-7104-053254800 1291581932_thumb.jpg

All the rest were wagons that needed completing. They all need weathering and couplings adding.

post-7104-024079500 1291582109_thumb.jpg

post-7104-095862700 1291582133_thumb.jpg

post-7104-015400900 1291582154_thumb.jpg

post-7104-079511700 1291582178_thumb.jpg

Still to be finished are two LNER cattle wagons, a Southern CCT and an LNER one.

• Like 3

Looking good , is their any reason for hand lettering ?

I have added a Alexander chassis to my Geo Norton G5 and I finally have a G5 that works !!! It needed some minor cutting to fit otherwise a dead easy build in OO. I used to have a Nu cast version as well that never worked either !!

• RMweb Gold

Looking good , is their any reason for hand lettering ?

Cheaper than transfers! Well mainly I hate putting them on. Hopefully they will be mostly covered up with the weathering, I am getting better at it now with practice, still not very good at 9s and 3s.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the G5.

It's all the fiddly detail bits now. I've started with the brakes, the pull rods went on easily as did the cranks. There is nothing in the kit to represent the under footplate handbrake mechanism, while I was wondering how I could cut a long slot in some thin brass I spotted these on my workbench...

post-7104-0-50018500-1295558274_thumb.jpg

I soldered a small piece of brass over the open end of the slot and another strip to the solid part of the coupling (after cutting the hook off) to build up the thickness at the top. This was soldered to the brake mechanism with a piece of .45mm wire. Rear sandboxes have also been added, these are attached to the frames instead of the footplate so the 'pipes' can be added easier and shouldn't get damaged when removing the body.

post-7104-0-51454700-1295558471_thumb.jpg

Front and rear details are also in the process of being fitted, lamp brackets from the waste nickel silver from the chassis etch. The blower control valve on the left hand side of the smokebox is an out of scale handrail knob.

post-7104-0-12893300-1295558655_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the coal cage, I might eventually remove this and make one up from brass strip.

post-7104-0-23572400-1295558659_thumb.jpg

• Like 2