TMD Layouts

Crisis Rail

Suggestion for a categorization of all TMD related layouts - dioramas? - so that members do not need to apologize before posting laugh.gif

I have an inkling that some modellers see the TMD as an easy cop out (I personally will not model the Bachmann MPD through familiarity) when really they are ideal for photography tight spaces and budgets or re-creating in a short timescale of what we saw in the 70's or todays scene.

Maybe it will free up a bit of forum space and easier to search - any comments?

..........mods please move this if in the wrong area - Cheers!

My layout Dallam TMD is 6ft x 1ft and provides a decent amount of operation flexibility. I can move locos around and it provides an ideal base to practice weathering and scenery skills and can be completed quickly. When I fit DCC sound to my locos the operational interest will be even greater as sound adds extra atmosphere to the movements. TMD layouts are layouts and so should remain on the Layout Topics forum.

Regards

Lewis

Surely TMD layouts are still layouts?

The best of them - and there are some good ones - certainly are.

I don't like the term TMD I prefer MPD ;) but I guess that's just an era thing.

Perhaps there my be scope for a Diorama Forum? As I just cannot see a diorama being a layout.

The best MPD layouts actually have quite a lot happening - a bit like the prototypes - so can make good layouts.

But the worst are simply Look how many varied and different locos (usually with sound) I can place on a small area of poorly configured track.

But I guess everyone has to start somewhere, and why not a MPD? (just move on quickly eh? :lol: )

Well if you're anything like me you spent all your disposable income for a number of years buying up locos before realising you had more locos than coaches. A depot means at least you can dot them about on the layout.

As for TMD only, why segregate? You don't have to read it.

C6T.

Hi,

Surely TMD layouts are still layouts? My Layout (Gresby) isn't much more than a diorama...

Simon

Of course....

After the demise of Freight Only it is all that I do at present - I have 3 in progress - although 2 can be classed as MPD - TMD but one is a sort of SP smile.gif

I just have ( maybe a misguided perception) that TMD (or MPD) cause a lot of this....... rolleyes.gif

The best of them - and there are some good ones - certainly are.

I don't like the term TMD I prefer MPD ;) but I guess that's just an era thing.

Perhaps there my be scope for a Diorama Forum? As I just cannot see a diorama being a layout.

The best MPD layouts actually have quite a lot happening - a bit like the prototypes - so can make good layouts.

But the worst are simply Look how many varied and different locos (usually with sound) I can place on a small area of poorly configured track.

But I guess everyone has to start somewhere, and why not a MPD? (just move on quickly eh? :lol: )

But is a diorama a layout......?

• RMweb Gold

I would say that all models with locomotive / rolling stock movement is a layout. A diorama tends to be static (such as millitary models etc) which do not have controlled movement.

A TMD / MPD is still very much a layout, particularily where locomotives are moved off scene. They can be as enjoyable to operate / view as any conventional layout.

This is an intersting thread - I'd actually say that you could class many layouts as dioramas.

I don't think anyone should apologise for modelling a TMD - I have to admit a lot of them don't interest me as many are quite implausible! But lots of other people like them so nothing bad I suppose. The only ones I really don't like, in a similar vien to Kenton, are those which really seem to be people showing off how many locos they've bought, well, they're just a bit vulgar really. A bit like people showing off about money in the village pub!

However, ones like Clvie Mortimer's Hanging Hill are brilliant, proper layouts where all movements have purpose.

I think that any type of presentaion is ok

it the persons own taste

same as layout like mine that come direct from my head

and ones that follow a real site

personaly i dont like loco stables but thats just me

mind you there are some very good ones around

I also am limited to cash and space

I have only 3.7 mtrs x 1 mtr

and have a terminal out and back in that with the fiddle and return loop underneath

comprises of 25 points and 26 mtrs of flexi track

or will when its finished

I realy envy those people with huge rooms or garages to work with

but i dont complain about it just get on with my own thing

at the end of the days its all about having fun and a hobby to keep you from going mad

rgds to all

Mike

and MPD = Motive Power Depot

Basically both are Sheds (of the non-mobile kind)

To me:

Diorama - no movement of trains - often deceptive at expos ;)

Layout - train movement (could be just a single loco/dmu/emu, or many)

Both have the potential to generate interest and modeling inspiration.

The MPD/TMD is usually much more expensive to build as it requires the same components as a BLT/SLT/roundy-roundy/etc layout plus more locos.

Complete agree with other RMwebbers.

Alot of modellers do not have the time, space or money to build their dream layout.

Surely, it is about quality as much as quantity when building a layout.

Visit any exhibition and you will see depots well represented whatever scale or era.

I'm surprised the money is being brought into it - surely a 'well stocked' TMD will actually end up costing far more than many other layouts? Add into that the cost in terms of either time or money for pointwork and a TMD can become a very expensive or time consuming beast!

as the owner of St Ann's Depot - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/19203-st-anns-depot/ (which attended the much criticised Model Rail Scotland at the weekend) I still call this a layout. I wanted to build a layout of some description but as I had a space of only seven and a half feet by two feet available and walls on 3 sides there was no chance of a tail chaser or large station to run my collection of locos, coaches and wagons therefore the last option was a compact shed to run my late 1970s/early 1980s locomotives. Yes you may need some more locomotives than you would for a tail chaser but for other layouts you may need more coaches or wagons to make it look realistic.

a layout is what I have and not a diorama.

Max Fowler

A thought, if a TMD/MPD layout/diorama has main running line(s) also featured, does this then make it acceptable to be counted along with every other layout featured on RMWeb, even though the TMD/MPD is still the main feature?

I think the majority have spoken :)

Where does this leave stabling points....

• RMweb Gold

No. This is quite insulting to the better TMD layouts. Some come instantly to mind - Boxenby and Stewarts Lane, and no doubt there are others - which demonstrate the highest levels of modelling skills and damned hard work. No way should these be in any way regarded as "lesser" than conventional layouts - whatever that term means, anyway.

Railway modelling is a broad church, and TMDs are as valid as any other expression of the hobby, merely being a more modern innovation than roundy-rounds and BLTs.

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing wrong with TMDs SPs etc - it is a reflection on the lack of space people have nowadays.

As for the comment about them being just as expensive to build - add in track and timber costs, throw in some more buildings and scenic stuff and the "roundy roundy" works out a fair bit more expensive than a "shelf / plank".

The problem I have with "modern image" MPDs /SPs is the number of engines "on shed". Fair enough to have literally shed loads of engines in the steam era - their turnaround times were longer, and time between service was shorter, so you needed more to cover the work.

In recent years, the people who run railways and other haulage companies ( the bankers and financial directors) want to see these beasties earn their keep 24/7/365. To have lots sat around on shed means that the timetables are wrong. Go past any of these RDCs on the M1 and A1 - loads and loads of trailers sat waiting to unload or be collected - hardly any traction - it's out there paying its way. Same goes for rail.

Fair enough to have literally shed loads of engines in the steam era - their turnaround times were longer, and time between service was shorter, so you needed more to cover the work.

I don't think that's the case always though. A shed would never be full would it, unless it was a Sunday where there was no booked work. And locos would be moved round and every movement would still have a purpose - I think that this is what most TMD/MPD style layouts lack.

One steam MPD currently doing the rounds is normally packed full of locos and my dad said it was utterly unrealistic. They weren't going round being service but just stabled, row upon row. I'll qualify that by mentioning that in one job he was regularly round and about Hull Dairycoates!

Lots of people rave about the layout but I just don't see it...

Not meaning to offend anybody but I think tmd layouts are just classed as micro layouts for people who don't have much stock more locos, and also if your short on space, I can't say much as I once built one but that's for the reason that it had to fit in the back of my ford fiesta, but I also prefer mpds as I am a 1960s steam freek lol :-)

Archived