Points of a new DCC layout

Alex H

Hi Everyone, hope for lots of good advice. I am building a new (first) dcc layout and am using the Dynamis pro, and have also got 4 x Dynamis Accessory decoders. I have 14 sets of Peco PE10E points and I have a single bus running round the layout, with everything, tracks and accessories all drawing power from this single.

My problem is that the points were not throwing fully.

From reading various threads I think my first mistake was putting everything on one bus. I am therefore going to create a second bus which I will use to run the decoders and any other accessories. Can anyone recommend a decent transformer. I can only seem to find the Gaugemaster one, which is very big and bulky. I was hoping to be able find a small one that I could screw to the underside of the layout.

If I want to switch two points at the same time, is it Ok to wire them into the same output on the decoder?

Do I also need to put a CDU into the power line?

Anything else I need to know about?

From experience the gaugemaster transformer is up to the job of providing enough power to change your points - it is worth doing this to ensure your locos do not losepower.

I have tried 2 points in one output on a decoder and they do not always fire so I would just stick one to each port.

CDU's can fry the decoders (I know as Ihavedone it) so I would stay well away from them.

Archived