CSX Palmetto Spur

Alcanman

Hi,

Having been a follower of this forum for some time, I felt that it was time to make my own contribution. So here goes!

Like many of you, I admire the work of Lance Mindheim and have been inspired to build my version of Palmetto Spur

which is the basis of his latest book - 'How to build a Switching Layout'. Here is a diagram of my version which measures 9ft x 15ins.

post-7898-0-84117500-1299238462_thumb.jpg

Usual operation is for the loco to push 3 cars from open staging right to left and then exchange cars for cars in the 3 spurs and then return stage right.

Simple but fun, this usually takes 20-30mins to complete. Obviously, this can be repeated with 3 new cars and a different loco.

For me this a complete departure from my usual 9ft layout which have always included a run-around and hidden staging (typical in the UK)

However, I can heartily recommend this arrangement, along with manual turnout throws and manual uncoupling with a Kadee tool.

The layout is about 50% complete and I'll try to post some photos as soon as possible.

I hope you will enjoy and maybe my experience will encourage some armchair modellers to have a go!

regards,

Mal

Hi,

Here is my first photo. This is all new to me, so I hope it's OK.

post-7898-0-98330400-1299253660_thumb.jpg

Gosh, it looks better than I expected!

Anyways - here we see a GP40-2 collecting a car from the food processor.

I have only one palm tree, so it will probably feature quite a lot in my photos. Must buy more

The loco is an Atlas model, factory sound fitted. Not too sure about the engine noise, sounds a bit 'piercing' to me. I had to turn down the volume.

However, the bell and horn sounds are suberb and this loco is the smoothest I've ever owned for slow switching.

The boxcar is an ancient MDC Roundhouse kit, which I've kept as the weathering looks OK. Don't know how many cars I've ruined with over zealous weathering.

bye for now

Mal

Hi,

Here's a pic of MP15 AC #1173 in the shadow of that palm tree.

This is an Athearn Genesis, sound fitted loco. Sound effects are excellent, although horn does not seem to have as much bass as the Atlas GP40-2

Almost as smooth as the GP40-2 for switching.

This loco will be going into the weathering shops soon.

regards,

Mal

post-7898-0-04686500-1299320426_thumb.jpg

Looks good!

And is quite a timely post for me - I am wrestling with the runround question - I must get round to posting something for views ......

Phil,

This was a big issue for me also.

Like many of us, I enjoy seeing a train emerging from hidden staging with the loco leading.

It took a while to convince myself that watching cars emerging with the loco at the rear of the train would be satisfying.

Reading Lance M's book convinced me and I'm glad I took the plunge.

The layout looks far less cluttered with less trackage and operation is less fussy and more enjoyable.

cheers,

Mal

PS Just seen your new thread - looks interesting.

Hi,

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Here is another pic of #6351 basking in the dappled shade under the palm tree.

The loco has had it's trucks and fuel tank painted dark grey prior to weathering.

post-7898-0-00091700-1299415615_thumb.jpg

Some 'real' Palmetto action can be seen at www.lancemindheim.com where there is a link to his YouTube channel

cheers,

Mal

Hi,

Here are some Google Earth images showing progress of Palmetto (looking left to right)

First, the Warehouse and Team Track

post-7898-0-85871500-1299586197_thumb.jpg

Second, grade crossing

post-7898-0-10904100-1299586654_thumb.jpg

Last, the Food Processor

post-7898-0-11923300-1299586799_thumb.jpg

This covers about 5 feet of the layout with 4 feet remaining to be scenicked

Progress has slowed until more warehouse structures can be found. Model Junction seem to be sold out of Pikestuff at present.

regards,

Mal

Hi,

Yesterday this Ralson Purina car was delivered to the Food Processor.

Then, last night I'm watching TV when an advert for pet food comes on displaying the Purina name and logo.

Delivering pet food to a Food Processor - this has gotta be a mistake! :blink:

post-7898-0-55242300-1299753557_thumb.jpg

Today, the car has been re-spotted at the Warehouse! :rolleyes:

post-7898-0-70635800-1299759918_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal

Yesterday this Ralson Purina car was delivered to the Food Processor.

Then, last night I'm watching TV when an advert for pet food comes on displaying the Purina name and logo.

Delivering pet food to a Food Processor - this has gotta be a mistake! :blink:

Quite plausible, I used to live near the Pedigree Petfoods factory at Melton Mowbray, one tale heard on the grapevine was several truckloads of fish scraps from the docks turning up for sale. Allegedly testing deemed it unsuitable for the cat food so it was rejected, subsequently bought by a well known Captain for his fish fingers!

...Progress has slowed until more warehouse structures can be found. Model Junction seem to be sold out of Pikestuff at present.

... probably because of that Lance Mindheim influence... ;) :D

I like the "Google Earth" views - the first one nearly had me for a bit.... :rolleyes: though with my Trucker's head on, I must admit I'd hate to be the driver of the rig here...

post-7898-0-10904100-1299586654_thumb.jpg

... must admit I'd wonder 1) How I got it in there 2) How I'd get it out, and 3) why I'd parked there in the first place... :huh: :blink: :unsure:

... but just ignore me because it's that sort of thing that someone who works in a certain field will notice, like the example on here fairly recently of a layout of Ranelagh Bridge, where everyone raved about the modeled scaffolding... except a professional Scaffolder... <_< :( ;)

Would also work for a couple of 20' containers and a Kibri Kalmar Reach-Stacker Add a little more "road" between the end of the Team Track and the road surface leading to where the lorry is currently - gives another "loads" possibility for team-track usage

Hi.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I had been thinking of buying some containers for the layout. Athearn do a nice pack with 2 x 20' and 2x 40' containers

Lance M uses them to good effect in place of low relief buildings on his East Rail layout.

regards,

Mal

Hi.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I had been thinking of buying some containers for the layout. Athearn do a nice pack with 2 x 20' and 2x 40' containers

Lance M uses them to good effect in place of low relief buildings on his East Rail layout.

regards,

Mal

If you google the Casciano Bridge (between mainland New Jersey and Bayonne) then look to the north (beyond the old Erie Lackawana) bridge you'll see acres of containers stacked as high as you like. I was thinking the same thing....

Best, Pete.

... you'll see acres of containers stacked as high as you like. ...

Well, maybe not that high... :blink: :lol: I don't know about the US but here in the UK the maximum permitted height is 5 containers; takes into account the possibility of high winds, I understand, as 'on the ground' they are simply stacked up, not secured with twistlocks like on board ship, trains & trucks.

More road and a stack of containers is a very good option for that area! B)

Archived