CSX Palmetto Spur

Alcanman

Ooooooh, NICE !!! B) :) especially the first one.

Why not Email them to Lance himself ?? - yes I bet he would be proud - he has been made aware of the following he has over this side of The Pond; your layout is proof of the inspiration he has given us, too! ;)

Thanks for the kind comments.

From the start ,my intention was, hopefully, to show that anyone with average modeling skills can produce a reasonably realistic, smooth operating layout in a small space.

Finding Lance Mindheim's East Rail by chance a couple ago inspired me to 'have a go'. Discovering RMWeb about the same time encouraged me to go DCC, with

the added fun of DCC sound.

We all need inspiration to get that next project started :rolleyes:

Of course, I'm going to have to be nice to my bro to ensure that the sun shines in those Florida skies. I'll take over some old trains, that should keep him happy.

Where did I put that old Bachmann 44 tonner? ;)

Mal

Guest jonte

I've soon learnt that there are 2 problems with videos:

1. It is very difficult to hold a digital camera steady whilst driving a train.......

2. I am now happy with manual uncoupling ......

That's marvellous, Mal, well done - and congratulations to the camera operator too!!

With regards to point no. 1 above, I have to agree - if you watched any of those series of videos I made on my blog (really not worth watching I assure you) there's a sudden clang and the lens goes haywire.......this was at the point where I fell off my chair whilst trying to film, drive, and change the points with blu-tac and an old scredriver :rolleyes: .

Another problem I found was uploading them onto youtube ; I recall it took almost two hours to do so for less than 8 minutes of footage :angry:

With regards to point no. 2, I've just submitted a query on an American site on this very subject; I've used Kadee under track magnets, but as you can see from one of those vids I mentioned, a boxcar went sprinting off on its own whilst being propelled by the loco as it approached the vicinity of the magnet; I'm aware a piece of foam dragging on the axles is a solution but I really don't want to compromise the pinpoint running of the stock. I've therefore just submitted a query regarding the use of Sergents' couplers - they're more prototypical with the benefit of uncoupling at will. However, they don't have the benefit of automatic uncoupling, as far as I'm aware, as do the Kadees so I'm just not sure.

Anyway, your layout is brilliant and has convinced me to obtain a copy of Lance's book - between you, me and the gatepost, I think my daughter has bought me a copy for an impending birthday - simply can't wait!

Best wishes,

Jonte

Guest jonte

There's quite a few videos on You-Tube about Sergent Couplers; this is a good demo

They look good, but I'm not sure they are for me personally... life's too short!!! :( :unsure: :blink: ;)

Thanks for your input 'F' - I take it your referring to having to amend all your current stock when you say life's too short?

Jonte :)

Thanks for the comments Jonte,

Lance M recently added a link Sergent couplers on his blog. I had a look, but tend to agree with F-Unit. They do look good, however.

I can certainly recommend ' How to build a Switching layout', the basis for Palmetto Spur and also 'How to design a small Switching Layout'

which is full of innovative ideas.

cheers,

Mal

Not just amending all the stock; I had a look at Sergent's own website, and they look a bit of a fiddle to make up. Not sure how cost-effective they are compared to Kadees, either, taking Import Duty etc into account... :unsure:

You'll be able to see them on my layout at tvnam in June. I'm hoping that they arrive this week. Should be able to do a write up if I get chance. You can uncouple on curves and you dont need to be able look down on them like you would with Kds to manually uncouple them. Cost effectiveness wise I've not had any stock in HO come fitted with Kds you get the naff copies so I would have to replace them with Kds anyway. If you buy a few at a time you can get under the £18 duty limit. (i've ony 2 locos and 6 freight cars)

Dave

So shall I... :)

I must admit I'd be tempted to try them if they did them in O Scale. ;)

They've obviously been asked about 0 scale

Quote from their site:

Q: Do you plan on offering a double shelf style coupler? What about a tightlock coupler? What about a type-F coupler? What about a Sharon coupler? How about couplers for O-scale...

A: Yes. We have plans to do many great things. Unfortunately these plans are constrained by both time and money. Exactly which new product comes out next depends largely on how many request we have from customers for a specific item.

Unfortunately thats not all that encouraging really, but you never know.

Dave

They've obviously been asked about 0 scale

Quote from their site......

Yes I did see that... I'm not sure about "expressing my interest" to them as it's only a 'maybe' and also dependant on price, and whether I ever build another O Scale layout, too, with times being what they are... :(

There do seem to be quite an array of different types available for HO - looks almost as confusing at first as the Kadee list would to a newcomer.... :blink: :unsure: :huh: :D :D

The Fostoria Factor

Like many of you, I've been fascinated by the Fostoria, Ohio, Webcam this week. This led me to think that I could add another grade crossing at Palmetto,

giving me a great excuse to make even more noise in the train room ;)

So, I decided I would convert the parking lot at the non-rail served end of the layout to a grade crossing. The crossing also provides access to the shipping container

storage facility. This is how it looked originally:

post-7898-0-94159900-1302029556_thumb.jpg

This is how it looks now, still requires painting etc

post-7898-0-04058400-1302029674_thumb.jpg

The light green Pikestuff warehouse in the foreground will actually be placed about a foot further along the layout, and will be replaced with another similar warehouse

slightly lower in height.

After searching for ages, I found this one from an obvious source, the American Railroad Centre, Bodmin. Superb service ordered Sat received lunch time today.

This now completes all the structures I need to finish the layout.

Plenty of work still to do, if only I could stop watching Fostoria.

cheers,

Mal

Hi,

Palmetto Progress Update

Here is a couple of pics showing progress at the non-rail served end of the layout, which is also

serves to partially hide a train which is normally staged there at the start of an operating

session

The new grade crossing, container storage facility and warehouses are complete but still require

painting, detailing etc

First pic shows the Fat Controllers view- ie. sitting down The grade crossing (Fostoria Factor) means I can start with bells and horn!:rolleyes:

post-7898-0-07185400-1302254021_thumb.jpg

Second pic shows view from a standing position. Train clearly visible in storage position

Also,I've seen both China Shipping & CMA CGA containers at Fostoria this week, so I'm pleased with my choice

post-7898-0-31864700-1302254299_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal

Hi,

Progress Update

Not had much time this week for modelling, however I've managed to paint the 5 warehouses shown in last week's pics.

Plenty of action with regard to trucks for Palmetto. Thanks to all.

Best of all I've just seen a real CSX GP40-2 pushing 3 cars and a bay window caboose thru Fostoria. What joy!:rolleyes:

bye for now.

Mal

Best of all I've just seen a real CSX GP40-2 pushing 3 cars and a bay window caboose thru Fostoria. What joy!:rolleyes:

Yeah, that's quite addictive that webcam! I've got it on in the background whenever I'm at the workbench now, I find the radio noise quite soothing.

Nice layout - I'm thinking of ideas for a small CSX based layout now as well. That Fostoria cam has got a lot to answer for :lol:

With regards to point no. 2, I've just submitted a query on an American site on this very subject; I've used Kadee under track magnets, but as you can see from one of those vids I mentioned, a boxcar went sprinting off on its own whilst being propelled by the loco as it approached the vicinity of the magnet;

Add a clump of weeds between the rails with a stalk or two of monofilament (fishing line)sticking up to catch the axles. The size of the line will determine how many "weeds" you need.

.... they're more prototypical with the benefit of uncoupling at will. However, they don't have the benefit of automatic uncoupling, as far as I'm aware, as do the Kadees so I'm just not sure.

Kadees can uncouple at will, I am removing all the magnets as I rebuild my layout. I use a bamboo skewer (like for kabobs or fondue), stick the point between the knuckles and twist. Virtually identical to the Sargent uncoupling process where you touch a magnet to the top of the coupler.

Sargents will couple automatically EXCEPT, they don't have a centering spring so the couplers may have to be aligned and one of the knuckles has to be open. If both knuckles are closed, then you will have to open a knuckle to couple the cars.

Best wishes,

Guest jonte

Add a clump of weeds between the rails with a stalk or two of monofilament (fishing line)sticking up to catch the axles. The size of the line will determine how many "weeds" you need.

Kadees can uncouple at will, I am removing all the magnets as I rebuild my layout. I use a bamboo skewer (like for kabobs or fondue), stick the point between the knuckles and twist. Virtually identical to the Sargent uncoupling process where you touch a magnet to the top of the coupler.

Sargents will couple automatically EXCEPT, they don't have a centering spring so the couplers may have to be aligned and one of the knuckles has to be open. If both knuckles are closed, then you will have to open a knuckle to couple the cars.

Best wishes,

Hi Dave,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and also for the useful tip.

It would appear that nothing is perfect; I still fancy the Sergents though. However, on my current project - a small diorama to test out some track building and scenic techniques, I've decided to dispense with Kadees (under track magnets) altogether and opt for the bamboo skewers which I was messing about with a couple of evenings ago. What a coincidence!

Best wishes,

Jonte

Hi,

When I decided to dispense with Kadee magnets ( the Lance M influence) I couldn't find any skewers.

Not much demand for them in ASDA (Walmart) in November ;)

However, when attending the Newcastle Exhibition (no - not the beer) in the same month, I found one of the plastic

Kadee manual uncouplers. Very cheap.

Took me a while to get the hang of the uncoupling tool as I kept pushing too hard and jamming it in the couplers.

However, all you have need to do is leave some slack between the couplers and gently twist.

Now I can manage about 95% first time uncoupling, I'm happy with this :rolleyes:

Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The summer in April weather has enticed me out of the train room, so progress has been slow in completing the warehouses

at the right hand end of the layout. However, the warehouses have been painted and are now in place.

Here's some more Google Earth pics (the original Google Earth pics of the left hand of the layout can been seen on page 1 of this thread)

Firstly, the Container Storage area and grade crossing

post-7898-0-49274500-1304252184_thumb.jpg

Second, the warehouses which partially conceal the storage track

post-7898-0-15913700-1304252345_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-24628400-1304252421_thumb.jpg

Looking at this view it's apparent that the flat roofed warehouses are crying out for roof details

Thanks to Dave L for suggesting Unit Models. I've had a look at their online catalogue and they have some excellent

products. I might even splash out and buy some pre-painted.

Although the layout is now completed, as we know a layout is never finished, so there is still plenty of detail work, weathering etc to do.

cheers,

Mal

Hi,

Here's a couple of pics of the container storage / grade crossing / warehouses taken from the more conventional

Fat Controller's view.

post-7898-0-38035400-1304326575_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-28096900-1304326606_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Mal

Mal

I have found this thread quite interesting and inspirational; looking at the Miami area prototype pics, tho, did

you consider adding more ballast to the track to make it look a bit more 'embedded'?

Hi Paul,

With the layout almost complete, I'm looking at areas for improvement.

I've started topping up ballast and generally adding layers to bring up the level of ground cover. The Peco code 100 also makes the track look 'high'

particularly on close up pics.

I agree a more 'bedded' in track would look be more realistic.

regards,

Mal

Archived