Dorchester , Dorset- 5 Dec 2009

john new

• RMweb Gold

New entry added to the Events calendar. Model Railway Show, United Church Hall, South Street, DORCHESTER, Dorset DT1 1EE (Main entrance from Charles Street) 10:30 to 16:30. Adult ??3.00, Sen Cit ??2.00 (Age 60), Under 16 ??1.50 Family (2 + 2) ??7.00. 7 layouts plus trade support.

Organisers are the SLS for WAMRC. Event poster here - http://www.wamrc-railway-modellers.org.uk/dorchester_poster.jpg

This is our first exhibition in Dorchester to trial this new venue to the model railway show circuit with a view to it becoming a regular pre-Christmas event. A mix of scales and gauges.

All RMWebber's welcomed. The venue is in the town centre so easily accessible by all public transport and with ample local pay and display car parking. Rail links from Bristol, Waterloo/Southampton/Bournemouth and more locally from Weymouth. Cross country bus links to Dorchester from Blandford/Salisbury and other centres.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ref what we will have have for the inaugural Dorchester Show:-.

N Gauge

Bodmore Vale (Crockerton MRC/D Lear) - modern image with two main lines on two levels.

Trafalgar Street (E Dorset NG Group/C Aston) - 1960s based on Trafalgar Yard in Newcastle upon Tyne.

Cinderford (E Dorset NG Group/R Denning) - Terminal station set in the Forest of Dean

EDIT - Longmoor (West Camel MRS /Ray Oliver)- I missed this one, sorry Ray, based on a section of the former Longmoor Military Railway.

4mm (OO)

New Barton (Andover MRC) - Southern west of Salisbury.

Portminster (Bridport & Dist MRC - Seaside terminus on the south coast.

Newburn Junction (Burnham & Dist MRC) - GWR/BR(W) - mainline through station with canal branch

7mm Narrow Gauge

Watt Estate Rly (Fareham & Dist MRC) = Substantial estate railway, 15" gauge, represented in scale ratio 09.

Pebbles End - (John New) - Card based shoebox layout also in O9. (*Provisional entry)

Other

Small novelty Christmas micro layout (John New) - Scale ratio 1:24 on 12mm track (*Provisional entry)

Trade = Buffers

Society = SLS

* The two provisonal layouts depend on space being available to display them on the pay desk table.

Well I had limited time, so I thought I'd pop in to 'Casterbridge' for a quick visit to the show - WRONG - . Couldn't find a place to park, queues at all the car parks - except long stay, but I aint gonna pay ??3.30 for about 1/2 an hour. I didn't have long, so thought sod it, back home.

So did anyone go ? What was it like.

Should have gone to Christchurch Paul-no model railways but the parking was free all day and a street market & entertainment-plus Cornish Pasty shop-mmmmmmm!

Steve

Looove pasties, mmmmmm. A good reason to go to SWAG Day at Taunton.

Oh almost forgot about the Beer Festival in The George-took glasses of so I really can't incriminate myself-just Beer!

Steve

Ok Steve, stop this torment, The Olde George - Christchurch, that means Piddle (well maybe literally), and plenty of it.biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold
So did anyone go ? What was it like?

From the organiser's perspective it was a success. It was a first for me as a Show Manager and also for the Wessex Assoc of Model Rly Clubs in putting on a show in Dorchester, attendance was only four short of the upper end of my pre-show expectation range, the teams who had brought layouts on behalf of their clubs all had a good day, our trader (Buffers) went home smiling and therefore for WAMRC a good day. It also fed some cash into the Church funds. In addition to the definite 8 listed above we also got the two mini-layouts in too so had a final line up of 10 , giving a cross section of scales = 1 x Gn12 (1:24), 2 x 09, 3 x 00 and 4 x N. Deciding to hold it in the heart of town meant there were advantages and disadvantages compared with an out of town venue just the same as face the retail trade.

If I am being ruthlessly objective there are some improvements I can make for any repeat event in the same hall and if you like absolute finescale today's line up was possibly not for you. However the punters seemed to like it and a good sign for the hobby locally was the questions we were being asked about the hobby and modelling by possible new entrants, where are the local clubs?, how would I do?, etc. There will be at least one newcomer after today as he left the hall with a PECO set-track starter box and some flexi, that alone, to me, makes the show a success.

So to sum up, I felt we met our objectives of putting on a local show, appropriate for the Christmas build up, and with a friendly atmosphere. What we did get as it was a town centre show were those attendees, especially couples, combining it with the Saturday shopping trip.

If I/we did get anything wrong as perceived by those who came in PLEASE let me know so that the issue can be reviewed prior to any repeat event.

Finally a big thank you to all those who did come, especially those who faced the afternoon rain, we all enjoyed running our trains today - we hope you enjoyed viewing them.

Archived